News: Damar Hamlin Injury thread (Breathing Tube Removed!)

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s an interesting statistic about the percentage of cardiac arrests outside of the hospital.
As someone who has worked in multiple ICUs where we run our own codes, I can tell you that prior to every shift there are assigned roles for codes; now that doesn’t stop crowds from congregating, gawking and getting in the way at times, but I think the codes themselves run relatively smooth, most times the MD/NP/PA follow the ACLS algorithms as I imagine they are for EMS. We have multiple crash carts on the unit with defibrillators that can both defibrillate or pace; all the equipment and cardiac drugs are in these carts as well…so airway and central lines can be inserted and drugs pushed. Now other hospitals may not be set-up in this way, so I can only speak from my experience. Good feedback brother.
Same at our hospital. Even our psych unit has had to respond. Staff practice every year and it runs smoothly. Get to the patient within a minute and it's started.

kskboys

Reaction score
I have extreme compassion for Hamlin and his family.

But it's utter hypocrisy for players and fans to act "surprised and shocked" when something like this happens. We're paying men to run into each other and tackle each other, repeatedly, for entertainment. And hec, they get paid a lot of money to take all this risk, for our entertainment.

To act like "things should change now" because something tragic has happened is just silly to me. Why should it take something like this happening for us to not have the fear that it could happen? Actually, we're not too surprised it happened, because we have an ambulance and medics already at the stadium, just in case.

So, yes, this is tragic, and I'm glad we're rallying around this player. But to think that the NFL should "change its policies" or alter the sport because of this horrible situation is disingenuous.

If we REALLY cared, we wouldn't encourage with our fandom and money a sport to be played that necessitates an ambulance being at the stadium. We wouldn't support football, boxing, MMA, and a lot of other dangerous sports across the globe. It's the risk they take, and it's what we support.

Other football players have died, race car drivers have died, boxers have died, MMA fighters will die, skiers have died, extreme sports participants have died....it's the price they pay. And we're the ones paying them to take the risk, with our eyeballs, ticket sales, jersey sales, etc.

We move on. We always do. And if we decide that "enough is enough", then why would we continue to support and pay for men (and in some cases, women) to take these risks? Because it's entertaining? Well, then we get what we get. Occasionally, bones will break, brains will frazzle and yes, occasionally, people will die.

What happened to Hamlin was not an "accident", it was by design, Higgins was trying to run through him, to "break the tackle". We love these collisions, as fans. And they love "inflicting punishment" as players.

If we don't have the stomach to handle an occasional tragic incident that we know will occur eventually (hence the ambulance already at the stadium), then we need to rethink our role as fans and their roles as players. Basically, either we do DEEP soul-searching, or just move on...and chalk this up to "just one of those things", a risk they take, and a risk we encourage them to take.

Keeping a good thought for Hamlin. But if all we can offer collectively are "thoughts and prayers", well, then, that's all we need to know: sport for entertainment > life & health
It's true.

EST_1986

Reaction score
‘Monday Night Football’ telecast in which Hamlin collapsed was most watched in ESPN’s history

Nielsen said Wednesday that the broadcast had an average of 23,788,000 viewers across ABC, ESPN and ESPN2 from approximately 8:30 pm to 10:09 pm. The massive audience makes it the most-watched “Monday Night Football” broadcast since the NFL moved the series to ESPN in 2006, surpassing the previous record of 21.8 million viewers for a Packers-Vikings game in 2009.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/04/media/monday-night-football-ratings-espn-damar-hamlin/index.html

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Amazingly great news. Hoping for a complete recovery with no lingering effects or underlying condition.