News: Damar Hamlin Injury thread (Breathing Tube Removed!)

StylisticS

Reaction score

This looks like the same thing that happened to Bruce Boban, a Croatian soccer player. He got hit in the chest with the ball, got up for a couple seconds, then collapsed. Unfortunately, Bruce didn't make it.

TWOK11

Reaction score
Very sad to see

Full disclosure, I’m a physician but not a critical care physician or cardiologist. That being said that looked and sounded like a primary Vfib/Vtach arrest from an underlying cardiac etiology (genetic channelopathy, coronary artery anomaly, less likely HOCM because these guys are screened for that) and he was shocked back into rhythm and now going through cooling protocol on the ventilator. They’ll try and wake him up in about 48 hours to see if he suffered any sort of anoxic brain injury. In a perfect scenario he walks out of the hospital looking fine a week from now. Hopefully the young man makes it.

I will say I doubt the tackle had anything to do with it. Getting hit hard in the chest can rarely cause this but it’s unheard of with routine tackles in pads. It’s like a batter getting hit by a fastball in an unprotected sternum. The timing here was coincidental I suspect.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very sad to see

Full disclosure, I’m a physician but not a critical care physician or cardiologist. That being said that looked and sounded like a primary Vfib/Vtach arrest from an underlying cardiac etiology (genetic channelopathy, coronary artery anomaly, less likely HOCM because these guys are screened for that) and he was shocked back into rhythm and now going through cooling protocol on the ventilator. They’ll try and wake him up in about 48 hours to see if he suffered any sort of anoxic brain injury. In a perfect scenario he walks out of the hospital looking fine a week from now. Hopefully the young man makes it.

I will say I doubt the tackle had anything to do with it. Getting hit hard in the chest can rarely cause this but it’s unheard of with routine tackles in pads. It’s like a batter getting hit by a fastball in an unprotected sternum. The timing here was coincidental I suspect.
I and others posted a video from a doctor talking about how it can happen and it's apparently when a hit happens to the heart at a precise moment in a heart rhythm that can cause it, which is why it is so rare.

Of course it may have been something else as people, even medical experts, are just speculating from the little information publicly available, but it is still a reminder how a common action can produce a rare reaction.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Commotio Cordis

Blunt trauma to heart but usually in sports with hard balls. Looks like tackler hit him right there.

Defibrillation in one minute is 100% survival rate. 2 minutes is 80%.

Not sure what they did to him on the field. This is awful. Prayers to him and family.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
i hope this accurate. Sounds much better than I expected. I feared the worst due to how long as they worked on him on the field.

They announced this year n NFL Network too. Guy is his friend and marketing guy so assuming he is at hospital

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Solomon Wilcots was on the radio, said he was at the game in a suite in the stadium and had access to what to some info as it was happening. Said there was a lot of blood from biting his tongue, and that he went into full cardiac arrest, lost his pulse and was resuscitated with the help of medical personnel. They got him to the hospital and his PR rep twitted that his vitals were back to normal and that he is being sedated so they can insert a breathing tube. He is not breathing on his own.

TWOK11

Reaction score
I and others posted a video from a doctor talking about how it can happen and it's apparently when a hit happens to the heart at a precise moment in a heart rhythm that can cause it, which is why it is so rare.

Of course it may have been something else as people, even medical experts, are just speculating from the little information publicly available, but it is still a reminder how a common action can produce a rare reaction.

It’s called commotio cordis, but that generally requires a tremendous amount of force. The “mildest” act it’s generally associated with are kicks to the chest in formal martial arts. The most common scenario in sports used to be lacrosse which is why they were special chest plates now. But the common theme is a tremendous blow to an unprotected chest.

But a routine tackle like that, in pads no less, would just be an unprecedented event. I’m not saying it’s impossible but it would likely be a first anywhere.

TWOK11

Reaction score
Commotio Cordis

Blunt trauma to heart but usually in sports with hard balls. Looks like tackler hit him right there.

Defibrillation in one minute is 100% survival rate. 2 minutes is 80%.

Not sure what they did to him on the field. This is awful. Prayers to him and family.

He was shocked at least once by an AED, you can see them priming it through the crowd of players in one of the field level shots.

kuyyo_morro

Reaction score
Praying for Hamlin to come out safe.

Was this caused by the tackling technique. Because it felt like a regular tackle. The way the game is played will change if it was tackling technique.