Dan Quinn still has no answer for what went wrong against the Packers

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
How about no linebackers, no contribution from Mazi Smith, and a defensive coordinator who was more interested and distracted by his job interviews?
Quinn was not in it to win it. He rode the wave that the franchise created. Too bad it fizzled out like a wave you thought would be pretty decent. He failed in his duties in that game. And that affected everything else.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quinn was not in it to win it. He rode the wave that the franchise created. Too bad it fizzled out like a wave you thought would be pretty decent. He failed in his duties in that game. And that affected everything else.
He did a great job taking the mess he inherited and turning it into something respectful and at times dominant. Of course he also lucked into Micah Parsons when he arrived.

I guess you can say he was too chummy with his players but plenty of player coaches are successful. Both styles can work. Is Mike Zimmer a better defensive coordinator than Dan Quinn? I don't think so.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
He did a great job taking the mess he inherited and turning it into something respectful and at times dominant. Of course he also lucked into Micah Parsons when he arrived.

I guess you can say he was too chummy with his players but plenty of player coaches are successful. Both styles can work. Is Mike Zimmer a better defensive coordinator than Dan Quinn? I don't think so.
Well it’s good thing we only pay you to post tweets. I kid, I kid.
:muttley:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is what he would say if he could.............

Dan: Well Bob my defense realized that our offense was in Deer in the Headlights land and after the previous 2 Niner playoff losses they just gave up.
Bob: Ok Dan but is that a real assessment of what happened?
Dan: Yes Sir unless our offense is given the lead and we get them at least 2-3 T/O in the game they're useless esp against teams like the Bills and Niners.
Bob: GL in D.C. Dan.
Wah, wah, wah!!
:muttley:

Last edited:

Loso86

Reaction score
There are reasons why this D got steamrolled!
The last half of the season they showed: Micah was there only real threat as a pass rusher AND he was slowing down, as usual, during the 2nd half of the season. Consistently playing a 205 lb safety at MLB on running downs is a recipe to get run on( especially idiotically on the goal line). Mediocre linebacker play in general. D line was average at best the 2nd half of the season.
Oh I'm well aware of what I think happened. But my point is that no DC is going to truly say what it was especially if it was more than 1 specific thing

Brooksey

Reaction score
Why not continue to run out a bunch of safeties when you're being gashed by the run.

Love Quinn but what a dumb game

Staubacher

Reaction score
DQ isn't that dumb. He knows exactly what went wrong. He changed the coverage because of Gilmore's injury and had a safety playing MLB. Jebus this is Football 101 stuff.
And it really was a very stupid decision. It would be better to try to handle that one weakened spot then weaken multiple spots trying to cover that one.
I see it in baseball - the shortstop gets hurt, let's move the third baseman to short and the left fielder to third base and put in a new left fielder. Now you have 3 positions negatively affected and not just the one.

RoboQB

Reaction score
oh please with this crap haha. You are against the quarterback so much you’ve diluted yourself into taking blame away from a Defense that was absolutely abysmal and couldn’t stop a nose bleed. Dak also was to blame it was a complete team effort in failure.

Furthermore, I was replying to the joke pappy said which didn’t even get the games order of events accurate but you were so quick to reply to knock the quarterback you didn’t even let that sink in.
I literally said the defense quit. I couldn't possibly be more condemning of the defense. However, it is the QB who is ultimately responsible for success. He sucked.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Sure, but did they also throw 2 first half picks that gave the opponent 13 points? A team needs a leader in order
to give them hope. Their QB literally threw hope away.
So, they quit. It was a bad look for everyone. It even impacted the kicker.

Someone should post a picture of Dak just a few seconds before stepping onto the field down 7-0. When they showed him on TV, he was bug-eyed and jaw dropped.
It was over right at that moment.
That's when I knew we were probably not gonna win this day.

cmoney23

Reaction score
This is what he would say if he could.............

Dan: Well Bob my defense realized that our offense was in Deer in the Headlights land and after the previous 2 Niner playoff losses they just gave up.
Bob: Ok Dan but is that a real assessment of what happened?
Dan: Yes Sir unless our offense is given the lead and we get them at least 2-3 T/O in the game they're useless esp against teams like the Bills and Niners.
Bob: GL in D.C. Dan.
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

ccb04

Reaction score
When the defense couldn't force turnovers, they often struggled. The unit also often struggled to get a stop when it mattered most. They went from very good on 3rd down, to quite bad. They were also so focused on rushing upfield, that they often lose contain, gap integrity, etc. Then add in the penalties, injuries and lack of LB's, and no contribution from the draft. Metcalf, Kittle, and James Cook, all set personal career milestones against the Dallas D this past season.

Chasing6

Reaction score

He does not need one and got promoted, after a now show on D.

Well, what happened was, I was focused on interviewing for a HC position. I forgot to make a game plan against GB. I already new I was going to get the job in Washington. We all know Washington does not like the Cowboys. So I tried to let them score 100% of the time.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I literally said the defense quit. I couldn't possibly be more condemning of the defense. However, it is the QB who is ultimately responsible for success. He sucked.
What a load of bs….so dak made the defense quit on the opening drive when the packers took the ball first and scored even though the offense hadn’t touched the ball yet? the other teams quarterback has called out our scheme and the fact that we had safeties playing linebacker and they were confident in what they could do That’s on dak too? You have a clear agenda. The defense sucked because they sucked. They were out of position, sloppy on tackling, and that had nothing at all to do with dak- who also played poorly.

Even after halftime when the deficit was down to 17 the packers took the ball right down the field and scored again. The defense was bad. That doesn’t mean dak wasn’t bad himself but to say it’s daks fault why the defense was terrible is just such a ridiculous statement and you can’t be taken seriously. Dak was bad. The defense was bad. Both are true but the defense wasn’t bad because of dak. That’s on them.

Get real

Malhavoc

Reaction score
What a load of bs….so dak made the defense quit on the opening drive when the packers took the ball first and scored even though the offense hadn’t touched the ball yet? the other teams quarterback has called out our scheme and the fact that we had safeties playing linebacker and they were confident in what they could do That’s on dak too? You have a clear agenda. The defense sucked because they sucked. They were out of position, sloppy on tackling, and that had nothing at all to do with dak- who also played poorly.

Even after halftime when the deficit was down to 17 the packers took the ball right down the field and scored again. The defense was bad. That doesn’t mean dak wasn’t bad himself but to say it’s daks fault why the defense was terrible is just such a ridiculous statement and you can’t be taken seriously. Dak was bad. The defense was bad. Both are true but the defense wasn’t bad because of dak. That’s on them.

Get real
Speak on…