Recap: David Moore on organizational issues on defense

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Zordon, May 1, 2021.

1. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

44,050 Messages
    36,956 Likes Received
    :laugh:

Hennessy_King likes this.
  2. atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy Well-Known Member

11,387 Messages
    15,496 Likes Received
    There is no expertise in the front office at all. The entirety of the problem starts with the Jones boys. Solving any other problem won't matter........thats 25 years of watching this train wreck talking.

kskboys likes this.
  3. atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy Well-Known Member

11,387 Messages
    15,496 Likes Received
    Jerry did no such thing. He's a football moron and egomaniac whose deluded himself into taking credit for Jimmy Johnson's teams. Fact is that Jerry did not have roster control under Jimmy. He was GM in title only. Jimmy ran the team and made all roster decisions. It would be great if at least folks who call themselves cowboy fans understood the teams history.

BAT, DenCWBY, pitt33 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Bobhaze

Bobhaze Moderator

8,456 Messages
    26,504 Likes Received
    Excellent summary of a structural flaw the Jones cartel not only doesn’t recognize, it probably wouldn’t care if it did anyway.

One only has to look at this team’s defensive history since winning its last SB in 1995 to see this foundational flaw. Since we hoisted the Lombardi in SB XXX, this team has hired 8 defensive coordinators, including 4 DCs in 9 years: Dave Campo, Mike Zimmer, Brian Stewart, Rob Ryan, Monte Kiffin, Rod Marinelli, Mike Nolan, and now Dan Quinn.

And this team has changed schemes far too often- From the 90s 4-3 to the 3-4 under Parcells and Phillips, then back to the 4-3, then the “hybrid” 4-3 (4-2-5?) under Nolan, and now back to the 4-3 under Quinn. This team changes defensive philosophies like underwear. It’s hard to build a defense when you don’t even know what kind of defense you are trying to be.

BAT, DenCWBY, pitt33 and 7 others like this.
  5. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

12,528 Messages
    6,508 Likes Received
    It's all true and obvious. That's why this team has always had poor defenses despite new DCs every few years. The foundation is poor. Cowboys draft well on offense and that overrates McClay and their success rate

So yeah, I will not be excited about this draft class. They are frauds until proven otherwise due to the history

Fuzzee and Bobhaze like this.
  6. slick325

slick325 Well-Known Member

6,631 Messages
    5,165 Likes Received
    Glad it is being talked about in the Metroplex without fear of the Jones boys. Needs to occur more often. Also needs to be echoed nationally and throughout the fan base. Those are the only things that the Jones boys will respond to and attempt to change for. Smh...

Bobhaze likes this.
  7. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

24,197 Messages
    47,251 Likes Received
    No bleep Sherlock. You needed someone to tell you that?

8. Bobhaze

Bobhaze Moderator

8,456 Messages
    26,504 Likes Received
    Long time beat writer covering the Cowboys for the Dallas paper. An outstanding reporter.

Chocolate Lab likes this.
  9. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard Zone Supporter

25,999 Messages
    22,446 Likes Received
    :cool: hmmm

Vanilla2 likes this.
  10. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard Zone Supporter

25,999 Messages
    22,446 Likes Received
    Umm, Jason Garrett has a ring too. He has two.

11. Rockport

Rockport AmberBeer Zone Supporter

25,408 Messages
    23,973 Likes Received
    :lmao2:To anyone who listens to this butt head. :lmao:

irving likes this.
  12. plymkr

plymkr Well-Known Member

4,160 Messages
    5,270 Likes Received
    We have no defensive identity. In fact we don't have an identity as a team. Our players have adopted the identity of the owner and GM. They play for themselves and care more about the sizzle than the substance, just like Daddy Jerry taught them.

This draft was the epitome of the franchise. A few good players in the midst of a random events that seem to have no plan or direction. I can't speak for everyone but I feel a lot of frustration and I think the frustration is this draft is a microcosm of the franchise. Just going through the motions and hoping we'll be successful and if not then at least we'll be talked about.

kskboys, 75boyz and Bobhaze like this.
  13. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

14,620 Messages
    14,080 Likes Received
    Dont go there Vanalli2 I wandered in the Garrett desert like a false prophet for years.
    Of course you may be all about sarcasm

pitt33 and Vanilla2 like this.
  14. phildadon86

phildadon86 Well-Known Member

12,717 Messages
    17,574 Likes Received
    Garrett hand picked Marinelli

15. pitt33

pitt33 Well-Known Member

2,330 Messages
    2,728 Likes Received
    Can I give you a dislike?

Just busting your chops

Vanilla2 likes this.
  16. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Zone Supporter

11,705 Messages
    16,022 Likes Received
    I haven't seen it articulated this well before. This makes so much sense.

kskboys and Doomsday like this.
  17. Bobhaze

Bobhaze Moderator

8,456 Messages
    26,504 Likes Received
    Very well said.

I know we can’t judge the players in a draft just one day after, when they haven’t even played a down yet. But it’s no too early to judge the sloppiness of this front office. They chose quantity over quality when with 11 draft picks in their quiver, they could have packaged them in some way to target some higher quality players at key moments in this draft.

But then again, that would require planning and alignment of purpose- you know all the things that good organizations do. Watching Stephen Jones giggling like a middle school kid at the Day 2 press conference about “Gee, we missed on another Safety” was a truly nauseating experience. Yet that arrogance he carries can only be gained when you are an executive billionaire for life with absolutely no accountability for wins and losses.

18. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

17,599 Messages
    11,947 Likes Received
    It kind of blows my mind. One would think offensive-minded coaches would look to put a bigger emphasis on defense as they should have faith in their own ability to score points.

That said it isn't too surprising in hindsight that they kept busting on guys like Taco that Marinelli liked. Just hope they aren't making the same stupid mistakes with Quinn.

19. kevinhickey

kevinhickey Well-Known Member

771 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Well if that is the case why not offer Sean Lee an intern coaching position.

20. Rockport

Rockport AmberBeer Zone Supporter

25,408 Messages
    23,973 Likes Received
    Barring career ending injury the Cowboys hav a HOF QB.