DC.COM: Blog: NFL Suspends Williams One Game For Horse-Collar

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
bbgun;1841679 said:
If our "elite, top five" safety can't comply with a rule, just attack the rule. Besides, Roy is not responsible for his actions. Only haters would expect him to get with the program.

funny, most of the people who are attacking the rule, have said that Roy still needs to abide by it, me and Hostile in particular

but dont' let that stop you from being uninformed

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
You know, I have no problem with the rule or the suspension.

But ... I thought for a penalty to be called, the rule was that you had to both

1) Grab the inside of the shoulder pads, not just the jersey, and

2) Fall with your weight on the back of the player.

Roy definitely didn't do 2), and it looks like he might not even have done 1).

horsecollar.jpg

Did they change the language of the rule? Adam?

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Serves him right. Hes an idiot for continuing to think he can get away with blatant personal fouls. Hopefully it teaches him a lesson, but if he hasnt learned allready, I doubt he ever will.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
theebs;1841114 said:
he broke musa smitha's leg with it in 04 at baltimore.

you just cant have it, i am sorry. I hope roy learns from this.

I really like roy and hope he can shake this label.

he also messed up the knees of a wr for the Titians in the preseason of the same year. He put at least 3 players out that years for part or all the season

jimmy40

Reaction score
dbair1967;1841216 said:
no it doesnt...again he is trailing a player from behind, what the hell is he supposed to do, let him go? Let a guy run another 15-20-30+ more yds? I can just imagien the outrage some of you boneheads would have if Roy was trying to run a guy down from behind, but then made NO EFFORT WHATSOEVER to bring the guy down and after the game cited this b/s rule as the reason

you people just kill me with the idiocy of some of your arguments

David

Quit being a freaking moron, you act like the only way to tackle from behind is to horse collar. Damnit, you cry about everything.

wileedog

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1841686 said:

horsecollar.jpg

Actually they said on the broadcast that they did change the language to include just grabbing the jersey.

And honestly, watching it in realtime, if that is not a horsecollar there is no such thing.

Granted, perhaps there SHOULDN'T be any such thing, but that is not the point.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score

horsecollar.jpg

thats what I have been crying about, I don't think he did what the rule actually states, where the hell is the answer man?

Kilyin

Reaction score

horsecollar.jpg

From Wikipedia (but seems accurate from what I've read/heard over the years):

The horse-collar tackle rose to infamy during the 2004 NFL season, in which it was implicated for six major injuries, four of which were committed by Williams (including two in one game). The injuries that season included broken legs for Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens, ,Baltimore Ravens running back Musa Smith, and Tennessee Titans wide out Tyrone Calico. On May 23, 2005, NFL owners voted 27-5 to ban the tackle. The dissenting votes were cast by Dallas, San Francisco, Detroit, New England and New Orleans.[2] The first year of the ban, only two penalties were called by referees for the horse-collar tackle. Owners voted 25-7 in 2006 to expand the rule to include tackles by the back of the jersey in addition to tackles by the shoulder pads

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse-collar_tackle

Bach

Benched
Reaction score

Sounds like my sister talking about my nephew.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
wileedog;1841693 said:
Actually they said on the broadcast that they did change the language to include just grabbing the jersey.

And honestly, watching it in realtime, if that is not a horsecollar there is no such thing.

Granted, perhaps there SHOULDN'T be any such thing, but that is not the point.

pretty sure you're wrong, though I could be, wouldn't be the first time in this thread(sorry super). but if he doesn't fall on his legs and goes to the side then its not even a foul let alone worth all this hubbub.

dozin_theknick

Reaction score
Dallas;1841124 said:
He meant to say.

It's about time the league got around to suspending this guy. I am for whatever helps stop the Dallas run to the Super Bowl this year. As you all know I cannot stand the Dallas Cowboys organization. I know I am paid to be unbiased but my eternal love for the San Fransisco Forty Niners prohibits me from being fair. Please do not email me with complaints. I am not listening to you and neither is my media giant of a boss, ESPN. Be glad you have me here to entertain you.

WOOOOP !!![/I]

:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1841687 said:
Serves him right. Hes an idiot for continuing to think he can get away with blatant personal fouls. Hopefully it teaches him a lesson, but if he hasnt learned allready, I doubt he ever will.

No problem. We'll just bring in the Dog Whisperer. That guy works miracles with dumb, lower forms of life.

TEK2000

Reaction score
Hostile;1841675 said:
I am a football purist. I like it when they allow the players on both sides of the ball to play the game. The NFL over reacted and we're stuck with it. I hate it and I don't care if my saying so hurts a bunch of people's feelings here.

I understand it is a rule. I understand he has to obey the rule. The bottom line is it is a stupid rule and it does NOT protect players from anything. That's the honest to Pete truth. It doesn't offer one ounce of protection.

Anyone who agrees with this rule will agree when in the future they outlaw a 2nd tackler from trying to bring down the ball carrier if the first guy hasn't done it. That's how ignorant this rule is. It sets a precedent for even more stringent rules against tackling. How that is not obvious is beyond me.

Meanwhile, chop blocking has actually ended careers not just seasons.

But forget all the common sense. This is really about defending the "golden child." :rolleyes:

What are you talking about Hostile. Don't you know that the only time players are injured when tackled from behind is when someone grabs them from the collar?

http://img266.*************/img266/2377/roytackleswatsonfn2.jpg

wileedog

Reaction score
stealth;1841699 said:
pretty sure you're wrong, though I could be, wouldn't be the first time in this thread(sorry super). but if he doesn't fall on his legs and goes to the side then its not even a foul let alone worth all this hubbub.

Where in the rule is there anything about falling on his legs?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
bbgun;1841641 said:
Yet somehow Deacon Jones was able to "unlearn" the outlawed head slap

Very true.

Even Erik Williams didn't repeatedly use hands to the face to the extent he was fined twice and then eventually suspended. Emmitt Smith stopped taking off his helmet. Michael Irvin realized that obvious pushoffs were no-nos.

But Roy Williams and his strong hands cannot.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
bbgun;1841702 said:
No problem. We'll just bring in the Dog Whisperer. That guy works miracles with dumb, lower forms of life.
:laugh2: keep em comin bb. it's so true it's funny

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
stealth;1841699 said:

That's what I thought. I thought that was the justification for it *not* being called many times when we all thought we saw it done, but there was no penalty called.

But thanks for the quote on the expansion to include the jersey and not just the pads.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
wileedog;1841705 said:
Where in the rule is there anything about falling on his legs?

dude, its not where he grabs the guy that hurts him at all, its how he falls on him after he grabs him.