DC.COM: Blog: NFL Suspends Williams One Game For Horse-Collar

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
dbair1967;1841203 said:
what if the price of cheese on the world market suddenly collapsed?

who cares dude

football is a violent game and injuries are a risk...they already do too much to protect players as it is...the game is being ruined by so many stupid rules...

you cant argue for this rule while they allow other more risky plays to go on untouched...and whether any of you whiners want to admit this or not, if this was anybody EXCEPT Roy Williams there would never be a rule for this, and mroe important I guarantee you we'll never see another player suspended for it, even if they get caught multiple times

David

wow awesome post.

You really proved me wrong.

oh and I dont eat Cheese, except mozzarella on Baked ziti and pizza. So cheese isnt important to me.

and where I come from its moootzadell.....

I think I made it clear why i believe roy was suspended. He has injured two people for an extended period of time. he is watched close, so he just cant do it.

NickZepp

Reaction score
To me this is like suspending a guy for a facemask.

I think it's a good rule. But it's not something you suspend a guy over. The only time you suspend a guy is if it's a flagrant thing that ends a guys season. Sometimes tackling a guy like that or grabbing a facemask is instinct.

Watch the replay sometime the play was made on instinct. You can't suspend a guy for that. It would force you review every facemask and suspend a ton of guys in the NFL for breaking that rule.

Jay-D

Reaction score
As much as I hate to agree with the Star Wars geeks that post over on that other Cowboys board......Roy has only himself to blame on this one.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1841214 said:
When you have a rule named after you.
When you are fined multiple times for breaking said rule.
When you STILL continue to break the rule.

It is time for a suspension.

It really makes no difference if the rule is stupid. It makes no difference if there should be other rules for other situations.

If you continue to break the existing rules, you get the punishment for it.

If they don't do something about it in an extreme sense for a multiple offender, does anyone think that player would quit doing it?

Sounds like he got what he deserved and it is not about just being a cowboys player. Sorry those paranoid excuses are just that...paranoid excuses.

He has been warned time and time again. He has been fined time and time again and yet the blockhead still goes out and does it again. STUPID STUPID STUPID. The stupidest part about the whole thing was that in this case he could have just tackled him like anyone else and yet he still did it.

ok fine...so why hasnt the player with multiple 15 yd facemask penalties ever been suspended? and that rule has been around FOREVER...its a far more dangerous play too

David

Jay-D

Reaction score
NickZepp;1841221 said:
To me this is like suspending a guy for a facemask. .

If a guy kept facemasking people over and over again.....he would get suspended.

NickZepp

Reaction score
Also I've seen a ton of players over my 23 years get hurt without anyone near them in the open field. Does that mean we should see penalties for guys having no one near them?

No it doesn't.

wileedog

Reaction score
dbair1967;1841216 said:
no it doesnt...again he is trailing a player from behind, what the hell is he supposed to do, let him go? Let a guy run another 15-20-30+ more yds?

So according to you if a guy is about to run by you for 30+ yards and the only thing you can grab is his facemask to yank him down its ok?

And if you do that multiple times in a season despite massive fines levied on you you still should keep yanking guy's facemasks? Because that is what you are used to doing?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well we'll get to see what it's like to play without Roy.

He won't be around for fans and media to point the finger at if there's a breakdown in the secondary. Should be interesting...

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
NickZepp;1841221 said:
To me this is like suspending a guy for a facemask.

I think it's a good rule. But it's not something you suspend a guy over. The only time you suspend a guy is if it's a flagrant thing that ends a guys season. Sometimes tackling a guy like that or grabbing a facemask is instinct.

Watch the replay sometime the play was made on instinct. You can't suspend a guy for that. It would force you review every facemask and suspend a ton of guys in the NFL for breaking that rule.

your right it is an instinct. it is just hard for roy to stop doing, but he has to.

Just like offensive lineman (erik Williams) punching guys in the head and linebackers clothes lining wr, te and rb running wide open over the middle it became dangerous, they outlaw it and the players have to stop.

Hopefully roy will stop.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Jay-D;1841227 said:
If a guy kept facemasking people over and over again.....he would get suspended.

never happened...not once in the history of the NFL

and players have had multiple 15yd face mask penalties...hell I saw a game once where a guy had 3 in one game and nothing happened to him

I cant even remember a FINE in regards to multiple face mask penalties

David

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;1841225 said:
ok fine...so why hasnt the player with multiple 15 yd facemask penalties ever been suspended? and that rule has been around FOREVER...its a far more dangerous play too

David

Who is a player that has multiple fines and warnings for doing a move that was named after him?

I mean I can not name a player off the top of my head that fits that criteria so educate me with a name.

However I can name a player that has gotten suspended for another violation, just that the rule was not named after him...

SAN DIEGO - Chargers strong safety Rodney Harrison was suspended without pay for one game by NFL disciplinarian Gene Washington on Thursday for his third serious rules violation in two seasons, a helmet-to-helmet hit on Oakland Raiders receiver Jerry Rice last weekend.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
NickZepp;1841232 said:
Also I've seen a ton of players over my 23 years get hurt without anyone near them in the open field. Does that mean we should see penalties for guys having no one near them?

No it doesn't.

I am all for fining the the texas stadium turf, it injured watkins yesterday and now we really need him.

Jay-D

Reaction score
NickZepp;1841232 said:

No it doesn't.

People die every day from heart attacks and people die every day from getting shot.

Does that mean we don't punish the murderers?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
so is everyone pretty much in agreement that the horse-collar is a stupid rule, but is a rule nonetheless, so Roy should abide by it?

let's get this straight and stop w/ the stupid analogies, you guys are probably the worst I've ever seen at it

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
wileedog;1841235 said:
So according to you if a guy is about to run by you for 30+ yards and the only thing you can grab is his facemask to yank him down its ok?

And if you do that multiple times in a season despite massive fines levied on you you still should keep yanking guy's facemasks? Because that is what you are used to doing?

apparently that is fine, because nobody is ever fined or suspended for it

what Roy did yesterday is the same thing a DB does when he knows he is getting beat for a TD/long gainer and has no choice but to tackle, hold or push a WR to prevent the catch...he took a penalty to prevent a bigger play

David

Asklesko

Reaction score
Whether or not it is a bad rule, the real issue here is Roy's lack of talent. He cannot play fairly, so he must, in essence, cheat by resorting to the horse collar. It's just like taking steroids, only the one who is hurt is not Roy but the one he tackles...

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
I gurantee you within the next 5 years the shoulder pads will be off limits entirely to defenders. I can only imagine what guys like Butkus and Lambert must think of today's league

wileedog

Reaction score
dbair1967;1841252 said:
apparently that is fine, because nobody is ever fined or suspended for it

what Roy did yesterday is the same thing a DB does when he knows he is getting beat for a TD/long gainer and has no choice but to tackle, hold or push a WR to prevent the catch...he took a penalty to prevent a bigger play

David

Bull, even his own coach said he could have extended and wrapped up.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Asklesko;1841253 said:
Whether or not it is a bad rule, the real issue here is Roy's lack of talent. He cannot play fairly, so he must, in essence, cheat by resorting to the horse collar. It's just like taking steroids, only the only one who is hurt is not Roy but the one he tackles...

Oh please talk about an exaggeration.