DC.COM: Blog: NFL Suspends Williams One Game For Horse-Collar

Jay-D

Reaction score
dbair1967;1841239 said:
never happened...not once in the history of the NFL

and players have had multiple 15yd face mask penalties...hell I saw a game once where a guy had 3 in one game and nothing happened to him

I cant even remember a FINE in regards to multiple face mask penalties

David

....and this happened WHEN during Goodell's reign?

I guarantee if somebody has 3 facemask penalties in a game they are gonna get fined and suspended with Goodell at the helm.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1841241 said:
Who is a player that has multiple fines and warnings for doing a move that was named after him?

I mean I can not name a player off the top of my head that fits that criteria so educate me with a name.

However I can name a player that has gotten suspended for another violation, just that the rule was not named after him...

SAN DIEGO - Chargers strong safety Rodney Harrison was suspended without pay for one game by NFL disciplinarian Gene Washington on Thursday for his third serious rules violation in two seasons, a helmet-to-helmet hit on Oakland Raiders receiver Jerry Rice last weekend.

who cares who its named after? The point is other than Roy, its hardly ever called on anyone else...the other point is there are other flagrant penalties (like the flagrant face mask) that never result in fines or suspensions, and that play is just as, if not moreso dangerous than a horse caller...and the final point is there are other things they allow that arnt even a penalty that result in a much higher frequency of serious injuries

helmet to helmet hits would also qualify as more dangerous than horse collars

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Jay-D;1841270 said:
....and this happened WHEN during Goodell's reign?

I guarantee if somebody has 3 facemask penalties in a game they are gonna get fined and suspended with Goodell at the helm.

I guess we'll see...but your welcome to bet me whatever you want on that

it will never happen

well that is unless its Roy Williams maybe

David

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
Asklesko;1841253 said:
Whether or not it is a bad rule, the real issue here is Roy's lack of talent. He cannot play fairly, so he must, in essence, cheat by resorting to the horse collar. It's just like taking steroids, only the only one who is hurt is not Roy but the one he tackles...

easily the dumbest post I have read today

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
wileedog;1841264 said:
Bull, even his own coach said he could have extended and wrapped up.

go look at the replay dude...there's no way he could have done that

David

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1841249 said:
so is everyone pretty much in agreement that the horse-collar is a stupid rule, but is a rule nonetheless, so Roy should abide by it?

let's get this straight and stop w/ the stupid analogies, you guys are probably the worst I've ever seen at it

yo, ova here!

ChrisCanty99

Reaction score
If we're going to suspend people for the horse collar it should ALWAYS draw a 15 yard penalty. Almost every game you watch, the horse collar makes an appearance, yet it is rarely called.

I have no problem with the penalty in the game, it was clearly a foul.

The inconsistency of enforcement is what's total BS.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;1841271 said:
who cares who its named after? The point is other than Roy, its hardly ever called on anyone else...the other point is there are other flagrant penalties (like the flagrant face mask) that never result in fines or suspensions, and that play is just as, if not moreso dangerous than a horse caller...and the final point is there are other things they allow that arnt even a penalty that result in a much higher frequency of serious injuries

helmet to helmet hits would also qualify as more dangerous than horse collars

David

But it is a rule and he continues to break the rule.

You are arguing around in circles. I give you an example of a player being suspended for multiple infractions of a rule. I ask you to name me a player that has been fined and warned multiple times for a specific rule infraction and not gotten suspended eventually.

So..Rodney has been suspended for a similar situation to roy. Yet you keep harping on the face mask penalty yet can not name one player who has been fined and warned multiple times and kept doing it until he was suspended.

I don't care if it is a stupid rule. He had chance after chance to stop doing it and yet he did not. He also had an easy chance to make the play with a regular tackle by wrapping up McNabb and still chose to do it the way he knew would get him in trouble.

Sorry...if the guy is stupid enough to keep breaking the same rule he has been fined multiple times for in the past...then he deserves it for stupidity if nothing else.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;1841278 said:
I guess we'll see...but your welcome to bet me whatever you want on that

it will never happen

well that is unless its Roy Williams maybe

David

Again with the unless it is Roy Williams maybe silly argument.

I have again pointed out Rodney Harrison but I guess since he is not a Cowboy it does not count.

Futhermore it is not three of the same penalty during one game.

It is multiple games with multiple warnings with multiple fines.

Geez you guys are really getting silly.

NickZepp

Reaction score
No one is saying Roy shouldn't have been penalized for the rule. It was the right call to throw the flag for horsecollar, and give the guy an extra 15 yards. But he shouldn't be suspended for it.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1841297 said:
But it is a rule and he continues to break the rule.

You are arguing around in circles. I give you an example of a player being suspended for multiple infractions of a rule. I ask you to name me a player that has been fined and warned multiple times for a specific rule infraction and not gotten suspended eventually.

So..Rodney has been suspended for a similar situation to roy. Yet you keep harping on the face mask penalty yet can not name one player who has been fined and warned multiple times and kept doing it until he was suspended.

I don't care if it is a stupid rule. He had chance after chance to stop doing it and yet he did not. He also had an easy chance to make the play with a regular tackle by wrapping up McNabb and still chose to do it the way he knew would get him in trouble.

Sorry...if the guy is stupid enough to keep breaking the same rule he has been fined multiple times for in the past...then he deserves it for stupidity if nothing else.

As someone who has played football before, I can promise you that in the heat of the game, you arent thinking about that. You're thinking about stopping the other guy from running downfield as quickly as possible. There's nothing stupid about it.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Well all you Roy haters will get your chance to see how we play without Roy back there, I'm sure Mat Moore won't complete a single pass, since every pass completed against us is due to a coverage mistake by Roy.

And yeah, he should be suspended, unfortunately now he's cemeted his name right next to the rule like never before. It will forever be known as the Roy Williams rule.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1841214 said:
When you have a rule named after you.
When you are fined multiple times for breaking said rule.
When you STILL continue to break the rule.

It is time for a suspension.

It really makes no difference if the rule is stupid. It makes no difference if there should be other rules for other situations.

If you continue to break the existing rules, you get the punishment for it.

If they don't do something about it in an extreme sense for a multiple offender, does anyone think that player would quit doing it?

Sounds like he got what he deserved and it is not about just being a cowboys player. Sorry those paranoid excuses are just that...paranoid excuses.

He has been warned time and time again. He has been fined time and time again and yet the blockhead still goes out and does it again. STUPID STUPID STUPID. The stupidest part about the whole thing was that in this case he could have just tackled him like anyone else and yet he still did it.

bingo

jwitten82

Reaction score
Do u really think Roy was the only reason for our poor pass coverage.
Rampage;1841280 said:
great! our pass defense is gonna shine without mr. overrated