DC.COM: Blog: NFL Suspends Williams One Game For Horse-Collar

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
air0208;1841110 said:
thats exactly what it is, isnt the point of football tackling the ball carrier at all costs? I HIGHLY doubt it that he is purposely trying to hurt people. its complete B.S.

Sure his intention isn't to hurt people, but there is noway you can say just looking at him do that to a guy doesn't make it obvious that you wonder if the guy will get up from that.

CowboyWay;1841111 said:
Nobody here can say with a straight face that he doesn't deserve it.

Depends on what color glasses you are wearing, lol.

SultanOfSix;1841112 said:
It's a dangerous method of tackling? LOL.

Every method of tackling is dangerous. It's a violent sport where 200+ lb men run at each other at full speed trying to knock each other down.

***?

I disagree, some are more dangerous than others. A head to head hit isnt more dangerous than wrapping up around the waist?? Come on, that's crazy.

Horsecollaring puts a player at a higher risk for injury, there is a reason it is outlawed, and Roy isn't the only reason for conspiracy theorists.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
dbair1967;1841134 said:
anybody can be horse collared...it could be a punt or kick returner...it could even be a defensive player or an OL after a turnover or a fumble recovery etc etcits not just QB's, RB's and WR's

its a pathetic rule...like I said, is two hand touch or flag football next? counting 1-Mississippi 2-Mississippi 3- Mississippi before rushing the passer?

David

To add to this, TO did a horsecaller tackle on a Vikings guy after an INT or a fumble this year, cant remember which it was. He never got called for it by the way.

TVMan

Reaction score
Nors;1841139 said:
It's a dangerous tackle. Injuries happen on that play all the time. Saw a TE horsecollared and had his ankle shattered so bad he never was able to play again.

I don't have a problem with the suspension. Question is what happens next time he does it? 4 weeks, season?

Again, it's the risk you take stepping on the field. You know and accept it.

It's football. The whole game is dangerous.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
funny how if somebody on the cowboys roster would get a torn acl by a horsecollar tackle, all of you would be screaming for a suspension.

NewJCowboy

Reaction score
theebs;1841142 said:
uh oh the roy williams sucks crowd may get trumped by the anthony henry sucks and should be a safety crowd...

should henry play safety this week?

relax i am just kidding.

Just for the record, I'm not part of that Roy or Henry sucks crowd!

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Nors;1841139 said:
It's a dangerous tackle. Injuries happen on that play all the time. Saw a TE horsecollared and had his ankle shattered so bad he never was able to play again.

I don't have a problem with the suspension. Question is what happens next time he does it? 4 weeks, season?

I see DL's and LB's get knees blown out all the time by cut/chop blocks

what about them? and it happens at a MUCH higher frequency

also, in terms of "more" dangerous, why not suspend people for multiple 15 yd face mask penalties then? thats a FAR more risky play, and numerous players do it all the time...some have even been flagged more than once in a game for it

trying to argue that the "horse collar" is a dangerous play and should be banned because of it is a painfully ignorant argument when you consider the other stuff they allow...

David

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
air0208;1841144 said:
To add to this, TO did a horsecaller tackle on a Vikings guy after an INT or a fumble this year, cant remember which it was. He never got called for it by the way.

Plaxico burress horse collard Aarron glenn after an int in 05, glenn hurt his ankle and was never the same after that game, which we lost. there was never a flag or anything.

no one said anything about it.

Roy knocked two players, one being a premiere player in owens out for the season.

So he just cant do it.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas;1841124 said:
He meant to say.

It's about time the league got around to suspending this guy. I am for whatever helps stop the Dallas run to the Super Bowl this year. As you all know I cannot stand the Dallas Cowboys organization. I know I am paid to be unbiased but my eternal love for the San Fransisco Forty Niners prohibits me from being fair. Please do not email me with complaints. I am not listening to you and neither is my media giant of a boss, ESPN. Be glad you have me here to entertain you.

WOOOOP !!!
Spot on impersonation of that Cowboy hatin' fart.:laugh2:

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Roy should know better.I might be wrong but didn't he break three legs already? He got the guy from Houston, or was it Texas? That the dude from Baltimore, and TO. if McNabb didn't get his legs out before Roy came down on the back of them, they probably would have been broke to. If that happened I'm afraid Roy would have been suspended for the rest of the year.

He needs to learn to tackle. What he's doing now is costing us.

Kilyin

Reaction score
LatinMind;1841147 said:
funny how if somebody on the cowboys roster would get a torn acl by a horsecollar tackle, all of you would be screaming for a suspension.

Hey Corky, nobody got injured from that tackle yesterday so try an analogy that actually makes sense.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
it's hard to break bad habits, but at least ROy isn't bearing down w/ his weight much anymore when he does it

a rule is a rule is a rule though

TVMan

Reaction score
LatinMind;1841147 said:

No.

Guys like Wilfork are trying to hurt QBs. Roy is trying to make a play. Big difference.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
Blue&Silver;1841153 said:
Roy should know better.I might be wrong but didn't he break three legs already? He got the guy from Houston, or was it Texas? That the dude from Baltimore, and TO. if McNabb didn't get his legs out before Roy came down on the back of them, they probably would have been broke to. If that happened I'm afraid Roy would have been suspended for the rest of the year.

He needs to learn to tackle. What he's doing now is costing us.

did you miss that roy is the one that directed his legs?
matter of fact he swung to the side and tried his best to pull mcnabbs legs, seeing the play in slomotion I think he was trying very hard to play within the rule.
I think roy got screwed on this one

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
TVMan;1841119 said:
You really want that? Really?
Oh, I must have forgot how deadly a combination Keith Davis and Ken Hamlin would make. My mistake, my man.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;1841143 said:
I disagree, some are more dangerous than others. A head to head hit isnt more dangerous than wrapping up around the waist?? Come on, that's crazy.

A head to head hit isn't tackling. It's stupidity.

Horsecollaring puts a player at a higher risk for injury, there is a reason it is outlawed, and Roy isn't the only reason for conspiracy theorists.

Chop blocks have a higher injury rate and are worse, yet they're not outlawed. Therefore, the NFL is being hypocritical if they are arguing that the horsecollar was outlawed due to risk of injury.

It's a sham. I've seen players not named Roy Williams get away with it. It's never called consistently unless Roy is involved, and sometimes it's even called wrong when he is. But, that's not shocking seeing that the refs are inconsistent anyways.

silver

Reaction score
dbair1967;1841126 said:
funny how its not too dangerous for high school or college

also funny how nobody ever got hurt for 50+ yrs of doing it, and if they did nobody apparently cared

and as for the "will he ever learn" crowd, why should he? He watches other games via TV or film like the rest of us, and its done all the time by others with no call

its a b/s rule

David
totally agree with you. it's the roy williams rule and only applies to him. it's a b/s rule to begin with. You could tell Roy was really pissed when they called it yesterday and probably is thinking about retiring than to change his ways.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;1841143 said:
Sure his intention isn't to hurt people, but there is noway you can say just looking at him do that to a guy doesn't make it obvious that you wonder if the guy will get up from that.

I wonder if someone is going to get up from a shoulder right into the midsection at full speed on a kick return too. Should that be banned? I wonder if someone is going to get up when a safety uses his shoulder to hit a not looking WR running across the middle with the ball, should that be banned?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
LatinMind;1841147 said:

not all of us

besides, I've seen Cowboys horse collared and not get injured...if you listen to all the chicken littles you'd think everytime it happens it results in a catastrophic injury...same thing in college and high school

David

wileedog

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY;1841094 said:
this is ridiculous.. they never even call the horse collar on anyone but Roy.. and yet he gets suspended.. it's a dumb rule.. i thought this was football.. dick butkus would be rolling in his grave if he were dead..

It was called in the Jets-Pats game this weekend.

Just sayin'