DC.COM: Blog: NFL Suspends Williams One Game For Horse-Collar

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;1841313 said:
Well all you Roy haters will get your chance to see how we play without Roy back there, I'm sure Mat Moore won't complete a single pass, since every pass completed against us is due to a coverage mistake by Roy.

Bingo

Of course, if we give up 300 yards and 3 TDs, it'll be the scheme and coaches :rolleyes:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;1841312 said:
As someone who has played football before, I can promise you that in the heat of the game, you arent thinking about that. You're thinking about stopping the other guy from running downfield as quickly as possible. There's nothing stupid about it.

and I dont know why peope dont get that

like I said, just wait till the one time when RW is trailing a player again with a chance to make the stop, but makes no effort or whiffs completely because he does something thats far less instinctive, then cites this ignorant pansy rule as the reason

we'll see the fickle bums come out in hordes again slamming RW

David

NickZepp

Reaction score
I'm not arguing that he shouldn't have been called for a horsecollar.

But he shouldn't be suspended for it. It's like suspending a guy for a facemask or holding penalty. You can get worse injuries from a hold that isn't called then you can from a horsecollar.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HeavyHitta31;1841312 said:
As someone who has played football before, I can promise you that in the heat of the game, you arent thinking about that. You're thinking about stopping the other guy from running downfield as quickly as possible. There's nothing stupid about it.

Yes it is indeed stupid because you should have learned your lesson by now.

This is not a rare case of pass interference. This is not the rare case of holding. This is not a rare case of a face mask.

This is the case of someone having a rule made after him. It is the case of someone having multiple fines for the same move. It is the case of having been warned just this year of a possible suspension for it.

Yet still doing it when all he had to do was throw his arms around the guys legs.

He has nobody to blame but himself.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rampage;1841280 said:
great! our pass defense is gonna shine without mr. overrated
Seriously...you don't lose a starter and think you're gonna get an upgrade at the position.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;1841329 said:
Bingo

Of course, if we give up 300 yards and 3 TDs, it'll be the scheme and coaches :rolleyes:

no, it will all be Anthony Henry's fault

at least according to edunce

David

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
jwitten82;1841322 said:
Do u really think Roy was the only reason for our poor pass coverage.
nope but i think he limited some things philips would like to do. what i said in the previous post was kinda a joke since we will be playing a rookie qb anyways.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1841316 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9APM6mNVCVY

Here is the replay.

If Roy is close enough to reach up and get his collar, he is also close enough to lay out and wrap up McNabbs legs.

Sorry...you are just wrong on that one.

The shoulder pads, especially on QBs (and especially on McNabb, who wears a larger set of shoulder pads than any QB I can remember) stick out considerably further from a players body. That extra 6 inches makes all the difference in the world. RW could not have layed out and gotton his legs with a faster player running with a head of steam, it would have simply defied the basic laws of gravity and physics.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1841334 said:
Seriously...you don't lose a starter and think you're gonna get an upgrade at the position.

bowen, hatcher and gurode just said it is a huge loss not having roy.

but what do they know.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1841334 said:

Why not? I mean granted, Courtney Brown is a 7th round pick, missed some time with injuries, entered the draft as a CB, may not know the playbook as well, is terribly inexperienced and so on, but I mean how much worse than Roy could he possibly be?

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1841334 said:

Well WG...it seems some do. :D

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;1841329 said:
Bingo

and of course if the defense shuts th panthers down, it'll be "matt moore played qb":sarcastic:

Kilyin

Reaction score
I'm not sure he could have made the tackle legally. I'm done arguing it though. The only thing stupid about all of this is a December suspension for a penalty that didn't even hurt, let alone injure someone.

jwitten82

Reaction score
I think injuries to our secondary had Phillips limited things more than anything.
Rampage;1841337 said:
nope but i think he limited some things philips would like to do. what i said in the previous post was kinda a joke since we will be playing a rookie qb anyways.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
theebs;1841343 said:
bowen, hatcher and gurode just said it is a huge loss not having roy.

but what do they know.

clearly they are just homering for RW...at least thats what the dolts that hate on Roy every freaking day will say

David

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1841316 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9APM6mNVCVY

Here is the replay.

If Roy is close enough to reach up and get his collar, he is also close enough to lay out and wrap up McNabbs legs.

Sorry...you are just wrong on that one.

You know how silly this claim is? Roy is running upright. He just needs to reach out and grab the collar.

If he wants to wrap McNabbs legs, he has to go down from verticle and dive, all options that would take more time, he would lose speed in the process, and therefore have less chance of success.

Roy horse collared him, but he did attempt to grab his left arm first, and tried to hold the waist area around McNabb's pants.

That was a text book tackle only two years ago.

The rule is stupid and will always be stupid.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1841333 said:
Yes it is indeed stupid because you should have learned your lesson by now.

This is not a rare case of pass interference. This is not the rare case of holding. This is not a rare case of a face mask.

This is the case of someone having a rule made after him. It is the case of someone having multiple fines for the same move. It is the case of having been warned just this year of a possible suspension for it.

Yet still doing it when all he had to do was throw his arms around the guys legs.

He has nobody to blame but himself.

It's the same concept as putting your hands out to brace yourself when you fall. It's never a conscious decision, you just do it. It's instinct, it's something you can't even really help.

The majority of defensive players have grabbed someone by the collar to stop them at some point in their careers. When you're out there, you don't think about it. You just do it.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Stupid rule.

You can grab a guy from behind and land on his legs and it's legal. Grab him high and not land on his legs and it's a penalty.

Just totally stupid. I will never agree with this rule.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HeavyHitta31;1841342 said:
The shoulder pads, especially on QBs (and especially on McNabb, who wears a larger set of shoulder pads than any QB I can remember) stick out considerably further from a players body. That extra 6 inches makes all the difference in the world. RW could not have layed out and gotton his legs with a faster player running with a head of steam, it would have simply defied the basic laws of gravity and physics.

Your explanation simple defies physics and more importantly...Reality.

He lays out, he gets the lower legs and ankles just as easily, if not more, then the shoulder pads. End of story.

You are simply wrong.