DC.COM: Blog: NFL Suspends Williams One Game For Horse-Collar

Reaction score
I'm a Roy supporter, but he has to stop doing the tackle. Bottom line, he knows it's against the rules, so he has to stop. He would've had to run a little harder, and give Mcnabb probably 5 or 10 more yards of gain if he wanted to just get him around the waist and take him down forward on Sunday, but even that would've been less than the 15 extra he got, and now a suspension.

I happen to think suspending him for repeated violation of this rule is a little excessive, but for all we know the last 3 letters he got telling him about fines might have mentioned that he will get suspended if he continues, in which case he should have been ready for it.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;1841353 said:
You know how silly this claim is? Roy is running upright. He just needs to reach out and grab the collar.

If he wants to wrap McNabbs legs, he has to go down from verticle and dive, all options that would take more time, he would lose speed in the process, and therefore have less chance of success.

Roy horse collared him, but he did attempt to grab his left arm first, and tried to hold the waist area around McNabb's pants.

That was a text book tackle only two years ago.

The rule is stupid and will always be stupid.

CheckmateD.jpg

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SultanOfSix;1841353 said:
You know how silly this claim is? Roy is running upright. He just needs to reach out and grab the collar.

If he wants to wrap McNabbs legs, he has to go down from verticle and dive, all options that would take more time, he would lose speed in the process, and therefore have less chance of success.

Roy horse collared him, but he did attempt to grab his left arm first, and tried to hold the waist area around McNabb's pants.

That was a text book tackle only two years ago.

The rule is stupid and will always be stupid.

The only thing in your post that is correct is that the rule was ok two years ago and is stupid now.

It takes as much energy to move your arm UP to grab as it does to lower down to grab.

Seriously you guys are reaching on this one.

The rule is stupid, but he broke when he did not half to break it.

I guess all of those WRs that lay out to catch a ball should never do so, because all they have to do is just reach up.

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;1841066 said:
I agree with it. I think it is too dangerous a play to allow it. you cant have guys getting injured with this play.

Now hopefully he will stop it.

I disagree. It's a game of inches. If he doesn't make that tackle, we give up some big plays at times.

This is hog wash. Anything to keep the Cowboys down, I guess. But I bet we'll see a lot more different packages this week...

Total BS ruling. The good news is, fans won't be able to blame it on Roy and perhaps maybe even some will learn why we should appreciate RW. There aren't many more safeties better than he is.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
dbair1967;1841081 said:
well again, in comparison there have very few injuries regarding horse collars when compared to th "legal" chop blocks

if they are so concerned with safety, why not out law that play?

I know the answer, but feel free to chime in

this rule is total b/s

David

hell, why stop there? just outlaw any play that relies on one player touching another player. If they even as much as skim them on the field, then drag their arse out back and beat 'em with club of nails.

bysbox1

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;1841089 said:
I don't know if he can stop it. If he could, you would think he would've done so by now. He seems to do it intentionally as if it's so second nature that he can't stop himself. He needs to be coached about how to tackle. He doesn't wrap up enough and tackles with his shoulders too much. What has happened to this guy? Where is the Roy Williams of his rookie year? Something is seriously wrong and I really feel for him.

I have mentioned this over and over. He has tackled this way since Pee-wee football. It's now a habit for him. I don't think he does it intentionally.

How does one break out of such a habit? I don't know. But he needs to fix it quickly in the off season . . . get a trainer to develop some techniques, whatever he needs to do. Work with Darren Woodson for goodness sakes. Darren never horse collared to get a tackle.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1841358 said:
Your explanation simple defies physics and more importantly...Reality.

He lays out, he gets the lower legs and ankles just as easily, if not more, then the shoulder pads. End of story.

You are simply wrong.

actually he is not wrong, he is right

you lose momentum is you have to dive, if you keep running and reach you close the ground between you and the other player faster...its also a far more sure tackle

David

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;1841357 said:
Stupid rule.

You can grab a guy from behind and land on his legs and it's legal. Grab him high and not land on his legs and it's a penalty.

Just totally stupid. I will never agree with this rule.

This is something you and I will always agree on.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1841358 said:
Your explanation simple defies physics and more importantly...Reality.

He lays out, he gets the lower legs and ankles just as easily, if not more, then the shoulder pads. End of story.

You are simply wrong.

If McNabb stops and waits for RW to dive, then yes, he would have been able to wrap up his legs. However, I can say with a decent amount of confidence that McNabb was, indeed, going to have kept running.

I gurantee Roy whiffs if he dives there. Guran-freaking-tee it. It's basic high school physics. The distance he would have had to cover coupled with his loss of speed due to lunging coupled with the angle at which he would have had to so because he was running upright makes it impossible.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
bysbox1;1841368 said:
I have mentioned this over and over. He has tackled this way since Pee-wee football. It's now a habit for him. I don't think he does it intentionally.

How does one break out of such a habit? I don't know. But he needs to fix it quickly in the off season . . . get a trainer to develop some techniques, whatever he needs to do. Work with Darren Woodson for goodness sakes. Darren never horse collared to get a tackle.

woodson never huh?
or is it back then no one gave a damn and they let the guys play?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
bysbox1;1841368 said:

why should he ?other players do it and dont get called for it...with that being the case, he shouldnt have to change anything...they should just do the right thing and eliminate the rule

David

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;1841357 said:
Stupid rule.

You can grab a guy from behind and land on his legs and it's legal. Grab him high and not land on his legs and it's a penalty.

Agreed

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1841363 said:
It takes as much energy to move your arm UP to grab as it does to lower down to grab.

Seriously you guys are reaching on this one.

Tell, me then. Ware you going to grab when going low?

You can't just reach your arm down and grab his leg. You're entire body has to contort itself from an upright position to even attempt to grab it, and then your now running in a position where you lose speed. Then your only option is to dive and make an attempt at his legs.

There's no reaching in what I said, except for the fact that Roy reaching for his legs would have been a waste of time and he would have missed the tackle and then people would be saying Roy can't tackle now either.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
bysbox1;1841368 said:

the problem is that Roy is just so big and so strong, that he can grab a guy by his shoulder pads and just sling him to the ground

FCBarca

Reaction score
This thread is sadly a perfect example of how there are plenty of people, Roy included, out there who just don't get it :rolleyes:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;1841372 said:
If McNabb stops and waits for RW to dive, then yes, he would have been able to wrap up his legs. However, I can say with a decent amount of confidence that McNabb was, indeed, going to have kept running.

I gurantee Roy whiffs if he dives there. Guran-freaking-tee it. It's basic high school physics. The distance he would have had to cover coupled with his loss of speed due to lunging coupled with the angle at which he would have had to so because he was running upright makes it impossible.

you are right HH...100% right

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;1841357 said:
Stupid rule.

BINGO!

David

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
FCBarca;1841380 said:
This thread is sadly a perfect example of how there are plenty of people, Roy included, out there who just don't get it :rolleyes:

and what is everyone supposed to be getting?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;1841369 said:
actually he is not wrong, he is right

you lose momentum is you have to dive, if you keep running and reach you close the ground between you and the other player faster...its also a far more sure tackle

David

Yes...that is why you see WRs dive to catch a ball that is over thrown. I mean they could just keep running and they wouldn't have to dive.

Futhermore Roy is already at the spot he could grab the legs. For your, and others, scenarios to even remotely make sense is if he was so far behind that he would have to reach for air and hope to only grasp the collar.

This was not the case IN THIS PLAY. In the past I would go along with it, In this case it is just not.

Sorry...you are wrong, no matter how much you argue it.

He was within distance that he would have made the play. END OF STORY.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
FCBarca;1841380 said:

oh most of us get it...its just that the hate on Roy crowd is so blinded by wanting to see the guy fail that they cant get their heads out of their arses

David