Derek Anderson to Dallas next year???

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I could see him in Minny or SF next year where he'd have a solid running game to help him out. I doubt a guy that young, and whose shown some serious upside, will be willing to come to Dallas, or anywhere for that matter, and sit on the bench.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dallas needs a young, athletic backup QB. Someone who can keep plays going like Romo does and still display some accuracy on passes.

I think that was the thought with Bollinger but the guy just has no accuracy.

I'd love see them to get a guy in college now where that skill seems to be more prevalent than at the NFL level.

If a QB is there in round 3 who can do those things we have to jump on him.

A guy like Chase Daniel might be worth gambling on. He has a lot of Doug Flutie in him.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2456949 said:
Derek could easily start in Minnesota

the bottom fell out for him this year because Jamal Lewis isn't as good as he was last year, he'll have AD to help him out in Minny

Absolutely or somewhere else.

Also... how many passes were dropped per game on him.... 10-20?

:laugh2:j/k

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
Pipe dream. Derek Anderson will not be our backup when he can start for a good portion of the teams in this league and get paid for it.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I love it that we get so excited over castoffs from other (bad) teams.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Cowboys2008;2457263 said:
Pipe dream. Derek Anderson will not be our backup when he can start for a good portion of the teams in this league and get paid for it.

That's what I think. But he will be a guy with only one good season, a cloud of suspicion, and a knee injury. So he could be available and not be expensive. But you're probably way right.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Hostile;2457167 said:
I like Beck. Of course I admit to bias. He is an Arizona kid and I have a friend who knows him so I might get some inside scoops.

He is a smart QB with a big arm who played for a lousy team in 2007 so his stats do not look so good.

Parcells does not like him because the previous regime drafted him. There is not other real reason. Parcells is quirky like that sometimes.

I think he is a perfect backup option to Tony who would have won 2 of 3 instead of 1 of 3 as Brad did. I doubt he'd beat the Giants.

He could develop and be traded for picks and I am always greedy about that.

Here's a highlight video of him in college. Notice the mobility and the arm. You will also see him making progression reads. BYU's Offense is similar to Garrett's. Not exactly alike, but similar.

[youtube]NCgH6sTEeP8[/youtube]

Well Hos, you know I like Beck and I agree with you, I think he would fit. The only problem I would have with Beck is experience. He hasn't had much opportunity to play and that's a bit of a draw back if he's our primary back up but still, I really like the guy.

The two others I would like to see in Dallas are Walters from Oakland or Alex Smith from San Fran. I don't believe either one of these guys has ever had a very good opportunity to succeed in the NFL but I believe both have skills that could lend themselves to being excellent Backups for us. Both are still young and I think both need a change. Might be good options for us.

Of course, if we could somehow manage to reaquire Matt Moore, that would also be something I would be interested in.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Boysboy;2456942 said:
The title of your thread is misleading...

Not misleading, just misguided.

And what is educated speculation?

And, c'mon, Marchish?

Must be a slow day in the Zone.:)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
jterrell;2457254 said:
Dallas needs a young, athletic backup QB. Someone who can keep plays going like Romo does and still display some accuracy on passes.

I think that was the thought with Bollinger but the guy just has no accuracy.

I'd love see them to get a guy in college now where that skill seems to be more prevalent than at the NFL level.

If a QB is there in round 3 who can do those things we have to jump on him.

A guy like Chase Daniel might be worth gambling on. He has a lot of Doug Flutie in him.

Don't know JT but it sounds to me like your describing Colt. ;)

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2457361 said:
Not misleading, just misguided.

And what is educated speculation?

And, c'mon, Marchish?

Must be a slow day in the Zone.:)

If I didn't know you well I'd say go back to bed and get up on the other side. Have some cheerios or something.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
jobberone;2457372 said:
If I didn't know you well I'd say go back to bed and get up on the other side. Have some cheerios or something.

Yew don't know me at all. Otherwise yew'd know there was a wee twinkle in me Scottish eyes when i wrote that, laddie.
Ay, the highlands beckon this lowland mon with the Gaelic bròg. Haste ye back.

And, laddie, donn take no offense, young feller.;)

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2457400 said:
Yew don't know me at all. Otherwise yew'd know there was a wee twinkle in me Scottish eyes when i wrote that, laddie.
Ay, the highlands beckon this lowland mon with the Gaelic bròg. Haste ye back.

And, laddie, donn take no offense, young feller.;)

Ok none taken. Glad to see you so cheerful

dmoore

Reaction score
I've watched Derek Anderson all season, and I think most of your opinions of him are a tad too high. He wasn't a pro-bowler last year and will never be one again. If he's your teams starting QB, your team is going to either have to have great weapons surrounding him or you'll be looking for his replacement. The guy has a real big arm and great size, but he's not a great QB. He would make a good back-up in our system simply because he can make every throw and our weapons would make him look good.

He's got a place in this league, but I don't think there's going to be too many teams beating down his door to give him a starting job. The ones that do will be awful teams, and there's a good chance a few of them go the rookie QB route. D.A. could very well be looking at a back-up gig next season.

Ceasaleo88

Reaction score
Fellas I think the answer to our backup QB problem is drafting one in the mid rounds and going after someone like Sage Rosenfels in the offseason. The only names that I've seen mentioned that we realistically have a chance at getting on the free agent market are Grossman and Losman. And neither of those names excites me much and will probably be looking for a nice piece of change. All the others will be looking to start or at least opportunities to start. If we can get Beck in a fair trade fine, but I doubt it.

Sage Rosenfels remember the name, he's our #2 QB next year, with a draft pick being groomed behind him.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
rocyaice;2456944 said:
I don't know. Though he has a season ending injury I think some teams will offer him not only starter money but actually a starting job. And correct me if i'm wrong but if a team picks up Anderson doesn't that team have to give up something in return? I thought I heard about a 2nd or 3rd rounder? No way Cowboys do that.
I agree...Detriot, SF are likely to be looking for an established QB to start.

I wouldn't mind him as a backup though

BlueStar II

Reaction score
While I would be happy to have Andersen, I would be quite surprised if he would come to Dallas because I think he'll go to a team where he feels he can start.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
EPL0c0;2457465 said:
I agree...Detriot, SF are likely to be looking for an established QB to start.

I wouldn't mind him as a backup though

established? One good season = an established QB ?

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I would class DA's 2007 as a "Career Year". 2008 is closer to the truth. He's still probably a few years away from realizing he would be a good back-up, but not quite a quality starter.