Deuce Vaughn to IR

Amarillofan82

Reaction score
Deuce was one of the few I was a little off on, though. We still don't really know what kind of player he may end up being.

Remember how long it took Sproles to develop? Six years, I believe...

The other player this year might be Jr. Fehoko.. If you like evaluating players, and you know anything about it, you know nobody is 100 percent. We don't know that Fehoko won't work out though. Some people just like to claim players are busts before they have any time to get up to speed.

Honestly, I was hoping maybe Deuce had something to him, other than an in-house connection. We still don't really know. So, we'll see.

For the record, I never said he was the next Barry Sanders. I said he had a little shiftiness to his game, like Sanders, and that he could end up being one of the most prolific runners ever in spite of his height. Yep, I said that. But I never called him Barry Sanders.

All that said, I personally probably wouldn't have drafted Deuce; one of my guys was Chase Brown. But after he was drafted, I started looking at him more and I think maybe it still makes sense. He's going to have to really work, though. So, we'll see.
He will probably be a PS player next year for the Cowboys. He has a bit of intrigue to him, but a ton of question marks.

Ken

Reaction score
Sometimes a back has to make something happen when there isn’t much there. They have to break and slip some tackles. You can’t keep using the excuse there weren’t any holes. That’s not going to keep him around. He’s too small and he can’t block. He’s very limited as to how he can be used effectively.
If he couldn't make something happen...none of our other backs would either.

Just had no chance on most of his carries this year, imo

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If he couldn't make something happen...none of our other backs would either.

Just had no chance on most of his carries this year, imo
When a 6th round pick gets opportunities they have to make the most of them. There may not have been much there but the team isn’t going to keep going with him, waiting for a hole to open. It simply doesn’t work that way. They have to give the team a reason to stay with them. They have to make something out of nothing on occasion which is what good to great backs do. You have to find a way to make a play. One big problem with him is he’s had some negative carries, which is why his average is so low.

Ken

Reaction score
When a 6th round pick gets opportunities they have to make the most of them. There may not have been much there but the team isn’t going to keep going with him, waiting for a hole to open. It simply doesn’t work that way. They have to give the team a reason to stay with them. They have to make something out of nothing on occasion which is what good to great backs do. You have to find a way to make a play. One big problem with him is he’s had some negative carries, which is why his average is so low.
Here is every touch from his most extensive action game against the Patriots.

There were a couple of runs where maybe he picked the wrong whole...but almost all had little to nothing to work with.

kskboys

Reaction score
Vaughn was taking up the oxygen in the room! Why didn't the Cowboys bring in Isaiah Buggs DT from Detroit. They released him and the Chiefs ended up picking him up. He would of been better than anything else they have besides Hankins. Mazi is a bust!
Yup. DET is overloaded at DT, so a cut from them could easily be a good player.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Here is every touch from his most extensive action game against the Patriots.

There were a couple of runs where maybe he picked the wrong whole...but almost all had little to nothing to work with.

If you noticed he goes down almost immediately on initial contact. He’s too small to run between the tackles effectively. He can’t get any push or bust through defenders. He’s too limited as to how he can be used. I could see him being effective in the passing game but he’s not going to pan out as an NFL running back.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'm not gonna read all these posts and the haters that think that we wasted a six round pick on Vaughn when really the problem here was the numbers game the man's skill set matches Turpin you can argue all you want I'm gonna tell you right now he does a lot of the same things that Turpin can do both special teams and on offense both of which Turpin has not missed games and I think that's shocking at his size that he's been this durable and I believe the Cowboys picked Vaughn meaning it was almost nothing given up as a sixth round pick thinking they might need Turpin and also CD Lam and Tony Pollard behind the scrimmage the way they're being utilized has taken away all the chances for deuce bond to do what he actually can do he still has a skill set in my opinion letting him go would be like letting go of Amendola do you remember what happened then he went on to have a really great career right now Vaughn just hasn't had a shot to get on the field on a consistent basis get enough snaps on special teams and offense to show why he was actually drafted,...

He's not too small he's not a wasted pick and if he ever gets a real chance not a couple snaps here or there not mop up duty or playing true running back he should be playing the same way that Turpin is being used special teams and going out on routes and the occasional behind the line of scrimmage runs and stretching the field and whatnot he's not got that chance...

FVSTONE

Reaction score

What a joke, this dude looks like a boy playing a man's game. For a back that was supposed to be the next great Deuce, he hasn't come close to being any help to the Cowboys. Throw Mazi in the backfield and see if he can run the ball for more than a yd or two because it appears that the 2023 draft is turning into a major bust!

Ken

Reaction score
If you noticed he goes down almost immediately on initial contact. He’s too small to run between the tackles effectively. He can’t get any push or bust through defenders. He’s too limited as to how he can be used. I could see him being effective in the passing game but he’s not going to pan out as an NFL running back.
We disagree. He needed more of an opportunity. This was the best opportunity he got all year and he played with our backups vs the Pats starters. There was nothing there and he never really had a chance.

Other games he played in he got 2 or 3 touches. Hard to get in a rhythm that way.

There is also a different speed and technique to run the ball in the NFL. It takes more than 8 or 9 carries to figure that out, especially with no blocking.

We will see next year. I have a feeling we will see him have a much bigger role next year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We disagree. He needed more of an opportunity. This was the best opportunity he got all year and he played with our backups vs the Pats starters. There was nothing there and he never really had a chance.

Other games he played in he got 2 or 3 touches. Hard to get in a rhythm that way.

There is also a different speed and technique to run the ball in the NFL. It takes more than 8 or 9 carries to figure that out, especially with no blocking.

We will see next year. I have a feeling we will see him have a much bigger role next year.
A back isn’t going to get more opportunity when they’re not making any plays and getting stuffed for no gains and losses. Pollard got opportunities because he made plays when given opportunities. Practically every opportunity he got he broke off a long run. This led to more opportunities and eventually a starting job.

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
Sometimes a back has to make something happen when there isn’t much there. They have to break and slip some tackles. You can’t keep using the excuse there weren’t any holes. That’s not going to keep him around. He’s too small and he can’t block. He’s very limited as to how he can be used effectively.
Give it a rest....he had very, very few carries in terrible situations. Hardly given a fair chance. You wanted him to fail so you could say "I told u so" but he hasn't been given the opportunity. He'll go somewhere and do well.........

Reactions: Ken

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Give it a rest....he had very, very few carries in terrible situations. Hardly given a fair chance. You wanted him to fail so you could say "I told u so" but he hasn't been given the opportunity. He'll go somewhere and do well.........
He had very few carries because he only averaged 1.7 yards with the carries he got. Don’t know what league you’re following but that’s not going to earn you more opportunities in the NFL, especially when you have at least 2 backs ahead of you. I don’t pull for any player to fail.

Ken

Reaction score
I think he sticks with Dallas and makes a nice role for himself next year.

I am disappointed in how they used all of the RBs this year. Way too much load on Pollard and now he has no juice. Should have used Leupke in short yardage and the short pass game a lot more than they did.

Rico should have been leaned on more.