RELEASED Dez Bryant has been released

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
One last time......

tumblr_mxx24a7wMc1qa3pfso1_400.gif

SacredStar

Reaction score
I'm ok with this. Time to try something else with someone else. Dez never really gave 100% in his assignments, caused sideline commotion, dropped a lot of passes, coughed up the ball often when trying to extend plays and, imo, wasn't a team player.

He'll get picked up quick and maybe his attitude and ego will change for the better. It really is time to attempt something else.

Best wishes to Dez

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We have to have a plan for this money, right? We didn't cut him to save Jerry some cash, I hope.

That's why I'm going to wait before calling this a stupid move.

Obviously, this was on the table when we tried to sign Sammy Watkins, but appeared to be less likely when Dallas got Hurns instead. Clearly the team was just looking for any No. 1 receiver option, but as usual taking the "bargain bin" route to getting one.

Now, we'll see if the team is satisfied with this receiving corps or if receiver becomes a draft priority. We'll also see if the money saved is used to actually enhance another position.

If we cut Dez just to turn around and use our top pick on a receiver, I think it's a waste of resources when we need to use that pick to fix actual problems elsewhere. If we cut Dez to fix one of those problems elsewhere, then the use of resources will balance out.

Jason 82 Witten

Reaction score
All those fans that said Dez wont be released pointing to stats and money and no WR to replace him, they were so confident. :lmao:

That’s what happens on message boards, people sitting at home on their couch think they know more than people that are actually involved in making the decisions

bark

Reaction score
Was really hoping for a strong line backing pick in the first.
Not looking so good now.

kento40

Reaction score
Funny you say that because it is almost exactly what they are doing... Hurns, Thompson, and now a top pick in draft such as Sutton.
Finally..... Finally this team stops being loyal but rather does what's best for the team. Too many years we would hang onto mediocre and scrubs based on what they've done in the past just hurts a team.
Getting ready to Dez was just doing what had to be done. time to move on

Hey, I just hope they can make the same tough choice if our QB continues on this Downward trend.

superonyx

Reaction score
I agree just think his play has declined and all his sideline antics sealed his fate with SJ. I am no Red fan.
Its scary to see how Jerry mentioned the input of several people in the organization as making this decision...I cant help but wonder if several of the people are people that should be on the chopping block themselves... Its stupid to take the advise of people that you should be firing and instead you empower them.
We are stuck with this for a long time it seems.
Next offseason they will be blaming Dak. We can talk about which QB to draft in the first round next year...
They will never run out of people to point the finger at. And Jerry will also listen because he is too proud to admit he was wrong about Red.

tm1119

Reaction score
A poor excuse for continuing with a bad situation. They have other draft picks and you're not going to fix everything in one offseason.

Not arguing that it was a bad situation, but my point is that they concentrating on the least important position. Seems like we are constantly building for the next year or 2 down the line. At some point it has to end and I don’t believe th cowboys front office is capable of putting the best possible team on the field on any given year.

If the $ saved is used to improve the D now it’s a different story tho...just not at all confident that it will happen

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm ok with this. Time to try something else with someone else. Dez never really gave 100% in his assignments, caused sideline commotion, dropped a lot of passes, coughed up the ball often when trying to extend plays and, imo, wasn't a team player.

He'll get picked up quick and maybe his attitude and ego will change for the better. It really is time to attempt something else.

Best wishes to Dez

Well said.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Need speed and great route runners outside on offense. This is a NEW era in the passing game...tired of all those endzone fades (one of the most overrated plays in football) and forcing throws hoping Dez can just go get it.

That's on the coaching staff and QB for not being able to complete a simple slant pattern. Coaches too dumb to call it...QB can't make a timing throw.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Terrific. Yet another reason and case of the team ignoring the defense at the expense of a shiny tool for the offense come draft weekend. This team's treatment and valuation of assets leaves a lot to be desired.

I hear you. We need to build up the defense but in all fairness this needed to happen. The price tag was way too high for Dez. Even if Dak's play is half the blame. We need to spread some of our cap over to the defensive side of the ball. With all that said and because of Dez being cut, I would not complain if we went WR with the first pick in the draft.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I'm just putting these out there..not making arguments because I wanted him here.

YPT is an interesting way to measure receiver effectiveness, considering a "target" in no way reflects "catchability".

Dez was awful for the majority of last year, but I'm pretty sure no one wanted to cut him after the Packer game a couple of years ago.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Goto the Pats, win a SB on a cheap 1 year deal...show dallas your ring.

superonyx

Reaction score
Hurt the offense?

"Dez caught 49 percent of his targets for 6.7 YPT over a three-year stretch. You can't explain away that level of statistical hideousness with injuries and team context. He can rebound to useful status at 29 y-o, but no way he's ever a great player again. No way."

Dez WAS hurting the offense.
Here we go with "Targets" again.
We have seen a bunch of these "Targets" and we need to ignore the fact that no WR in the history of the league would be able to catch these "targets".

Having a QB throw the ball away to your side of the field is hardly a meaningful way to gauge performance.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really did not think it was going to happen this year....until I seen Mickey basically ripping on Dez for having chances to improve on his route running by multiple coaches and not talking advantage of it in his opinion. Once I seen the company man starting to lay the ground work I could see it coming.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
You can see this thing unfolding. They'll use their 1st round pick on a WR now and then their 2nd round pick on an OG.

Maybe by the 3rd or 4th, they'll address LB or DT.
I would have called this stupid before this off season, before the Dez cut, but now that WR1 contracts are beyond reasonable, our 1st and 2nd on a WR wouldn't surprise me at all.
Nothing this team does really surprises me at all anymore.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here we go with "Targets" again.
We have seen a bunch of these "Targets" and we need to ignore the fact that no WR in the history of the league would be able to catch these "targets".

Having a QB throw the ball away to your side of the field is hardly a meaningful way to gauge performance.

I suggest subscribing to "The Athletic" and reading Bob Sturms article on Dez... It wasn't as much bad QB play as what you may think.