RELEASED Dez Bryant has been released

BRoni

Reaction score
Hurt the offense?

"Dez caught 49 percent of his targets for 6.7 YPT over a three-year stretch. You can't explain away that level of statistical hideousness with injuries and team context. He can rebound to useful status at 29 y-o, but no way he's ever a great player again. No way."

Dez WAS hurting the offense.

I don't feel like the team is better today because of releasing Dez. We'll see.

Reaction score
Dez has had 3 bad years of production since he got his contract. Injuries, playcalling, all of it has factored in, but the fact remains he just isn't worth the contract any more. Sure I'm scared losing him, but if they draft a WR who can have an impact and the other guys step up, they'll be alright.

You don't need a superstar WR to succeed on offense.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Its scary to see how Jerry mentioned the input of several people in the organization as making this decision...I cant help but wonder if several of the people are people that should be on the chopping block themselves... Its stupid to take the advise of people that you should be firing and instead you empower them.
We are stuck with this for a long time it seems.
Next offseason they will be blaming Dak. We can talk about which QB to draft in the first round next year...
They will never run out of people to point the finger at. And Jerry will also listen because he is too proud to admit he was wrong about Red.
The trio of red, rod, and linehan should have been canned right after the GB playoff loss if SJ/JJ are serious about a new direction. They should have been grooming Witten’s replacement last year like the chargers did with gates. Dez just let his passion get the best of him and it cost him his job. He shouldn’t be made as any scapegoat and now Dak will have no excuse this year imo. They got rid of a guy he clearly had no connection with and now the proof will be in the pudding this season if he is elite or just another backup who had a good year.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Great day. The guy was a major rock head that was going to get worse. Imagine the pouting if the contract was reduced. This was the only option. Not going to miss his drama at all.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Double whammy and double damage today.
First we lose a our no 1 Wr!
Second we will draft a WR with our no 1 pick to cover the loss...... for a QB who couldn't hit the barn if his life depended on it therefore a wasted no 1 pick....when we need a LB so bad or any Defensive stud .....oh well....

Fun times coming to Big D...or should i say Sad times....

BigD_95

Reaction score
It's what happens when you have non-football guys running a football team. We all hoped it would change when Jerry dies, but Stephen is cut from the same cloth. But they will be #1 in revenue....yeah.

I cant stand post like this. Jerry is a football guy more than most! He was co-captain of the 1964 National Championship team. More than what most GM's can say. Cry he isnt a good GM all you want with his 3 super bowl wins but saying he isnt a football guy is dumb.

College football career
He attended college at the University of Arkansas where he was a member of the Kappa Sigma fraternity.[citation needed]

He was also a co-captain of the 1964 National Championship football team. He was an all-Southwest Conference offensive lineman for Hall of Fame coach Frank Broylesand a teammate of Jimmy Johnson.[citation needed]

Other notable teammates were Glen Ray Hines, a consensus All-American offensive tackle, Ken Hatfield, Jim Lindsey, and future Outland Trophy winner Loyd Phillips. Several future head coaches were assistant coaches for Frank Broyles and the Razorbacks during his college career in Fayetteville including Hayden Fry, future head coach at the University of Iowa, Johnny Majors, future head coach at Iowa State University, the University of Pittsburgh and the University of Tennessee, and Barry Switzer, Hall of Fame coach of the University of Oklahoma.[citation needed]

Jones is one of a very small number of NFL owners who had a significant level of success as a football player

superonyx

Reaction score
I suggest subscribing to "The Athletic" and reading Bob Sturms article on Dez... It wasn't as much bad QB play as what you may think.
Im not blaming the QB. He is as much of a victim of this pathetic offensive scheme as anyone.
Romo had to be a magician, pulling rabbits out of his hat at the line of scrimmage with .01 second left on the play clock. Its well known from defensive players and ex players that this offense is predictable and something that should have been left in 1992.

Blaming Dak would be like blaming Goff when he looked like one of the biggest busts in NFL history under Fisher.

Sonicxtacy02

Reaction score
My one question is how does doing this NOW help the team? There's nothing they can do with the money now and you're simply losing equity by doing it 2 weeks before the draft.

superonyx

Reaction score
This is a clear signal that Stephen is in charge of this team now.

I personally think we are headed in the right direction.

I applaud this decision.
Yea...Lets let JG and Linehan have a person to blame for their failings.
That sounds like the right direction to me..
Next year it will be Dak.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
I remember saying months ago that it was either Dez is cut or takes a paycut, there was never a wait and see, or a lets redo a contract. Too bad because at least he was still a viable redzone target. Gotta be a run team and spread the ball, no more forcing it to one guy.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't feel like the team is better today because of releasing Dez. We'll see.

Yes, it means we spent the offseason spinning our wheels while other teams actually added to their rosters.

We got Hurns to replace Bryant, Thompson to replace Butler, Fleming/M. Martin to replace Cooper/Bell, Thomas to replace Hitchens or Wilber, Ealy to replace Mayowa and Olawale to replace Smith.

Doesn't that make you feel like we're ready to challenge for a Super Bowl?