RELEASED Dez Bryant has been released

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
RWIlliams31, Ware, Romo, Dez…guys move on in the Free Agency era, yet fans lose the minds every time, and it's crazy that fans have to be reminded of that all the time.

Just a reminder that we didn't cut 24-year old, perfectly healthy Dez.

You would think fans would be more pleased that the TEAM is actually making these practical moves, instead of holding on to an overpaid, underperforming and slowly sliding player.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
RWIlliams31, Ware, Romo, Dez…guys move on in the Free Agency era, yet fans lose the minds every time, and it's crazy that fans have to be reminded of that all the time.

You would think fans would be more pleased that the TEAM is actually making these practical moves, instead of holding on to an overpaid, underperforming player.

I don't mind doing that on the whole. The problem is that it forces us to take a position early that is not usually a breakout position in its rookie season. If we had done it next year as we had a WR developing, that'd be one thing. However, now we're forced to take a WR early and hope that the WR can develop properly. Not to mention that we need LB and S much more than we need WR, but Jerry basically declared what position we want early. I'm more bothered by it with the implications to our defense.

GMO415

Reaction score
Departing words were..."I'll see you twice a year".....uh that's not good

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
I don't mind doing that on the whole. The problem is that it forces us to take a position early that is not usually a breakout position in its rookie season. If we had done it next year as we had a WR developing, that'd be one thing. However, now we're forced to take a WR early and hope that the WR can develop properly. Not to mention that we need LB and S much more than we need WR, but Jerry basically declared what position we want early. I'm more bothered by it with the implications to our defense.

I get it, but perhaps the QB, and as a result, the rest of the offense will be better served by not having him in his ear non-stop.

Clearly, there were issues.

I mean, doesn't the fact that they didn't even ask him to take a pay cut indicate that the team was tired of his act?

birdwells1

Reaction score
Yup, and I don't care how many people here think is not about the money to Dez. It's ALWAYS about the money, especially at this point in his life. Even if his next contract looks cheap, there's going to be incentives to jack it up. Don't fool yourselves in to thinking $$ is not the motivator with Dez...

Why would he say he'll see the cowboys twice next year. That would limit the number of teams that he wants to play for meaning that he's more motivated to get revenge than dollars.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I laugh at the panic from all the "fans".

People are pissed we made an awesome move and got better today.

It's like Alexander sneezed on everyone.

dwreck27

Reaction score

You would think fans would be more pleased that the TEAM is actually making these practical moves, instead of holding on to an overpaid, underperforming and slowly sliding player.

Half of them are mad because they have a Dez jersey and don’t know what to do with it now

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
Half of them are mad because they have a Dez jersey and don’t know what to do with it now

For the last five-ish years, the fanbase appears to be divided into Romo fans and Dez diehard fans.

Last year, the Romo fans freaked out and this year, it's the Dez diehards are losing their minds.

Man, do I miss the Super Bowl years, when players really deserved the rabid fandom.

plasticman

Reaction score
i will say it again.

for the combined seasons of 2015 thru 2017, 75 NFL receivers caught at least 100 passes. Two Cowboys are in the top 25 in catch percentage, Williams and Beasely.

Dez Bryant is ranked dead last......75th.......in catch percentage.Williams and Beasely were catching balls from the same exact quarterbacks as Dez.

For the combined seasons of 2015 thru 2017, Dez Bryant caught exactly 50% of all balls thrown to him....half.

Dez never mastered his routes, never put in the time and effort to perfect his craft....certainly not to the same extent as the previous #88's.

I met a guy names Robert Steele once. As big a Cowboy fan as I was back in the 70's, I was shocked to learn that he played for the Dallas Cowboys. Why did I never hear of him? He was Drew Pearson's backupin 1978. Enough said. Mr.Steele told me that Drew took ALL the reps. He demanded nothing short of perfection in his route running. Mr.Steele told me he made his cuts like a surgeon. He took a measuring tape with him to practice to measure his distances from the sidelines or a particular point on the field. Staubach always knew where his #88 was....precisely. Drew never missed a game.

I remember watching a game in the early 90's when a very rare phenomenon occured. Michael Irvin dropped a pass at a critical stage of the game.

Nobody was more shocked than Irvin. He just sat there with both his hands up in the air, staring at them as if they were accomplices in a conspiracy. The announcer quipped that Irvin was scolding his hands for betraying him.

Irvin was once asked how he was able to be so reliable given the heat that Aikman could put on the ball. He said he had no choice, it was too late to get out of the way. He was fearless,driven, proud, and the hardest worker on the team. He could catch a ball with two defenders draped around him. Aikman could always depend on his #88.

Dez didn't care that his salary demands meant the team would have to part ways with good football players. He wasn't savvy enough to understand that, in the long run, you can make more money throughout your lifetime if you retired as a champion, with a Super Bowl ring. He could have recovered any amount he might have been willing to sacrifice in order to keep a few more of his teammates. I doubt that much of that past contract money is still available to him.

I think we know the direction the Cowboys are taking in this draft.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

He’s still the best WR on the team by a mile and if they don’t spend the money then there was no point of cutting him.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Coaches are blaming last season on Dez, IMO. These incompetent offensive coaches think they’re smarter than everyone else and have zero accountability. Will be a glorious day when JG is removed.

I’m just glad this whole situation regarding Dez is officially over. I thought the pay cut route was best but I’m not that surprised/upset that he’s gone. A lot of people are to blame for him not producing like a true #1 (himself, scheme, crappy coaches, bad QB play last year, etc). Best of luck to Dez unless he ends up inside our division.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
Whats that like?
How does it feel to be a fan of a team and hate a top player on the team?
I'm curious....does it make it harder to enjoy the games?
Seems like it would suck.

I save my hatred for guys who play for the opponents...
Its a business decision. He was over paid for the production he provided. He wouldn't take a pay cut, so he had to be released.

jsb357

Reaction score
Its a business decision. He was over paid for the production he provided. He wouldn't take a pay cut, so he had to be released.

^^^^ Jerry & Co. after decades have finally figured out.

Don't get emotionally attached to players.

superonyx

Reaction score
Can you at least take the 2 minutes to read where they never offered him the opportunity to take a pay cut..

Yes it was a Linehan Garrett business decision to blame Dez to save their own paychecks for another season or 2.

Big_D

Reaction score
Can you at least take the 2 minutes to read where they never offered him the opportunity to take a pay cut..

Yes it was a Linehan Garrett business decision to blame Dez to save their own paychecks for another season or 2.

The newest scapegoat. The Cowboys are still paying for Jerrys dumazz decision back in 2007 to hire this clown in the first place.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score

Dez informed them numerous times via the media that he wouldn't accept a pay cut.........He built his own nest thru his social media comments......