Dez getting in fights misguided leadership? Another Dez thread **merged**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Even when you are on the sidelines and not involved in the practice? Should all injured players risk further injury by running onto the field and jumping into the fight?

Again, love the passion, dont like the decision or the message as a leader.

Is he a member of the team?

It may be stupid and full of bravado but it has always been this way.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Is getting old at this point. We all love his fired up attitude, but he needs to be more of a leader on this team. How about showing restraint instead of getting in a punching match every week? What are you teaching the younger guys come game day? His lack of control of his emotions may cost us on game day. He is sending the wrong message in my opinion.

Jeez this is the kind of stuff we make threads about now? Lol wow, talk about making a mountain out of nothing

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Evidently not, go to a training camp any where in the NFL fights happen on a reg basis. Crying your the one going on about Oh Dez is getting into fights, he is going to cost us.

Dez has been in the league 5 years how many games has he been suspended? for on or off the field issues? Here is clue 0

But he sags. And yells. And that's a turn off even though practice concluded yesterday with Dez rallying the entire team. This team fights all the time. They got into fights a bunch last season and I think they won all of the games they fought in except the last one. The team doesn't back down and the Rams are just lucky that the OL was down on the other end.

Proximo

Reaction score
OP is reaching with this thread.

The ONLY feedback we've ever heard from the Cowboys regarding Dez as a teammate is that he's a fantastic one. He's developed into a leader the last year or so and it's obvious to anyone with a working pair of eyes that his passion and intensity does FAR more good than bad.

To insinuate that he's setting a bad example or might even cost us games in the future is completely baseless. There is no evidence to support either of those claims. If anything, recent history has shown us the opposite, as Dez has shown increased maturity levels each of the last few years.

Craig

Reaction score
Im trying to figure out if it would be a different equally large group of people or if it would be the exact same people whining about him hanging his teammates out to dry by not standing up for them in a fight.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So are you attributing the defensive moral to Dez Bryant or more to the Kraken and the new boys on D?

That aside, it appear that Garrett is blowing it off as no big deal and not making him accountable. At least to the media.

I don't think there's any doubt that Dez is a catalytic player when it comes to getting his teammates amped up. There's no reason to believe he's the only one. On defense, Wilcox got into it with him last season, and Patmon did this season. The defense is getting better, overall, and when that happens, the squad gets chipper.

As for Garrett, I'm not sure what you're referencing. He normally handles any sort of discipline or criticism internally, and says as much to the press while he downplays it externally. If that's what he's doing again here, it shouldn't come as any surprise. It's the right way to handle it, too. Especially given how the Rams contributed to the issue in the first place.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Even when you are on the sidelines and not involved in the practice? Should all injured players risk further injury by running onto the field and jumping into the fight?

Again, love the passion, dont like the decision or the message as a leader.

Did you just say that you would prefer the leader who watches his teammates fight it out while he's chilling on the sidelines? Do you have some sort of filter that replaces football with curling or something? That would actually explain a lot.

shnagy

Reaction score
Dez apparently was talking to Jerry on the sidelines and ran over when the scrum started. He wasnt allowed to practice but was taunting Rams players all practice long from the sidelines. He is not only getting into fights with our own players, he is now getting involved in other peoples fights and getting punched for it.

As one of the leaders of the team this doesnt concern you?

Nope. Why worry about something you can't control? Would him costing us a game and you being able to say "I told you so" really be worth worrying over this kind of nonsense? Not saying that's your goal. I mean I get it but maybe I'm just not that emotionally invested to worry about trash talk.

Ray Lewis used to talk trash and involved in many fights, countless other greats too. Better than watching the emotionless teams of the past. I couldn't stand watching our players taking cheap shots and none of our team would take up for each other.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OP is reaching with this thread.

The ONLY feedback we've ever heard from the Cowboys regarding Dez as a teammate is that he's a fantastic one. He's developed into a leader the last year or so and it's obvious to anyone with a working pair of eyes that his passion and intensity does FAR more good than bad.

To insinuate that he's setting a bad example or might even cost us games in the future is completely baseless. There is no evidence to support either of those claims. If anything, recent history has shown us the opposite, as Dez has shown increased maturity levels each of the last few years.

Stephen Jones went out of his way to say how much the team valued his work ethic and emotional leadership--separate from his skill and physical ability--when discussing his extension. The organization believes Dez' attitude makes the whole team work harder. That's been publicly established.

Last edited:

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Is getting old at this point. We all love his fired up attitude, but he needs to be more of a leader on this team. How about showing restraint instead of getting in a punching match every week? What are you teaching the younger guys come game day? His lack of control of his emotions may cost us on game day. He is sending the wrong message in my opinion.

Overreaction and piling on Dez, just like ESPN

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
LOL.......I see, so now I dont know anything about NFL training camps eh?

Are you going to start crying again? I actually want to hear everyones opinions, even if you cry.

For my money, I would rather see my highly paid leaders setting the right example instead of being at the forefront of the immature fights. But that is just me.

Am I overly concerned about it? Nope. Do I see Dez as an emotional immature athlete? Yep. I just hope it doesnt cost us a game or a few games if this happens in the regular season. And if your leader is doing it, then maybe one of the younger guys gets in the fight and misses a game or two.

Just sayin!! No need to cry or get offended. :huh:

So what would be the right example to set? He should have ran into the locker room when the fight happened? He should not have backed up his teammates? I don't condone fighting, not at all. But if someone hits my brother, I'm all in. When you are on the field, those guys are your brothers. You defend them. You fight with them and for them. Dez did exactly what you would want any Leader to do, he backed up his team.

Dez has grown up a lot since he got in the league. And even in his younger days, he has never been in trouble on the field of play, so I think your worry about him costing us a game is way overblown.

There is no pattern. He got into a scuffle with a teammate and now he joined in to back up his teammates. Totally different situations. No trend whatsoever, nothing to be worried about imo.

I played football for along time.. was involved in several of these types of things over the years, both with teammates and other teams. They happen. But if I am in a dog fight with another team and one of my teammates leaves me hanging, they would be dead to me from that point forward. Got to have each others back.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
But he sags. And yells. And that's a turn off even though practice concluded yesterday with Dez rallying the entire team. This team fights all the time. They got into fights a bunch last season and I think they won all of the games they fought in except the last one. The team doesn't back down and the Rams are just lucky that the OL was down on the other end.

Irvin was the same way. Since I can remember this is how football has been watching it or playing it. 2 a days and even not training camp suck and tempers flair and guys into to fights. As I mentioned in the thread earlier, many of the young DB are trying to make a name for themselves and show the coaches what they have and so when they go up against Dez they are trying to be physical and tough to the point that tempers will flair.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Dez apparently was talking to Jerry on the sidelines and ran over when the scrum started. He wasnt allowed to practice but was taunting Rams players all practice long from the sidelines. He is not only getting into fights with our own players, he is now getting involved in other peoples fights and getting punched for it.

As one of the leaders of the team this doesnt concern you?

No

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Is this really a thread ? Dez stepped in to help patmon. He was against three guys and dez was sucker punched. The guy who went after him a few weeks back and now came to his defense

HORRIBLE HUMAN BEING. TERRIBLE COWBOY

Status
Not open for further replies.