Dez getting in fights misguided leadership? Another Dez thread **merged**

Status
Not open for further replies.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Is getting old at this point. We all love his fired up attitude, but he needs to be more of a leader on this team. How about showing restraint instead of getting in a punching match every week? What are you teaching the younger guys come game day? His lack of control of his emotions may cost us on game day. He is sending the wrong message in my opinion.

The message he is sending is not to the kids...he is sending a message to all the teams on the Cowboy's schedule...you don't mess with Texas! And the Cowboy are from Texas!

Proximo

Reaction score
Stephen Jones went out of his way to say how much the teamed valued his work ethic and emotional leadership--separate from his skill and physical ability--when discussing his extension. The organization believes Dez' attitude makes the whole team work harder. That's been publicly established.

And those are exactly the types of intangibles that, when combined with his talent and physical ability, make him such a special player.

You truly cannot place a value on his competitive spirit and desire to win. I will reiterate, his passion and intensity does FAR more good than bad.

He's always going to get extra media attention just because of who he is. And yes, these types of skirmishes can certainly be a byproduct of his passion and intensity. But, I couldn't care less about either of those things when considering the big picture.

I really don't know if there are any other players in this league that have Dez's talent, and a matching desire to win, combined with the willingness to put in the work. If there are, you could count them on one hand.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Dez swings at a teammate because the teammate rips his helmet off, even though the teammate has his helmet (protection) on, and Dez gets jawjacked because he was coming to the aid of his teammate, and NOW he has a problem fighting? :huh:

Overreaction much? Guys get in fights ALL THE TIME in training camp. I'm not condoning it, but I'm not going to make a big deal out of it either. As long as serious injury isn't involved, it's not anything to get bent out of shape over.

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm more worried about an errant punch Geno Smithing him and shelving him for 6 weeks with a facial fracture or an awkward fall during a melee resulting in a torn ligament. If anything the risk of injury from a fight should be of concern.

blindzebra

Reaction score
The trash talk started because their punk CB held Williams, knocked a ball down and then acted like he was all that and got in Williams face. Dez's response was bring that **** to me, hold me all you want and I will still catch the ball.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He'll be sitting for at least a game if he starts throwing punches during games. I'm all for passion but Dez has some anger issues and i've seen it affect his focus during games.

Plumfool

Reaction score
So what would be the right example to set? He should have ran into the locker room when the fight happened? He should not have backed up his teammates? I don't condone fighting, not at all. But if someone hits my brother, I'm all in. When you are on the field, those guys are your brothers. You defend them. You fight with them and for them. Dez did exactly what you would want any Leader to do, he backed up his team.

Dez has grown up a lot since he got in the league. And even in his younger days, he has never been in trouble on the field of play, so I think your worry about him costing us a game is way overblown.

There is no pattern. He got into a scuffle with a teammate and now he joined in to back up his teammates. Totally different situations. No trend whatsoever, nothing to be worried about imo.

I played football for along time.. was involved in several of these types of things over the years, both with teammates and other teams. They happen. But if I am in a dog fight with another team and one of my teammates leaves me hanging, they would be dead to me from that point forward. Got to have each others back.

If a person has ever been apart of a team. Sports, military, or whatever. You need to have your teammates back. Heck I've been in fights where I didn't even know the reason, other than someone jumped on my teammate.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now boys, don't get into any trouble while mommy and daddy are gone.
And DON'T make a mess!

~SLAM~

Do YOU like parties?
Yeah.
We can invite all our friends and have soda and pie!
Yeah!
I hope no BAD people show up.

KICK IT!

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
He'll be sitting for at least a game if he starts throwing punches during games. I'm all for passion but Dez has some anger issues and i've seen it affect his focus during games.

Sure you have...you and your 8 million online followers.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure you have...you and your 8 million online followers.
Correction.
That's 7,999,999 followers.
KJJ's cat died recently. :( Stupid feline wasn't happy simply having KJJ's tongue. It ate it too.

(stupid Cowboy fan pets)

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
LOL, and there comes the true FAN.

No...he is a fan, you and I and loyal followers
Correction.
That's 7,999,999 followers.
KJJ's cat died recently. :( Stupid feline wasn't happy simply having KJJ's tongue. It ate it too.

(stupid Cowboy fan pets)

Well, actually KJJ said that he has 8 million plus online followers...I don't know who the "plus" are, maybe they are a figment of his imagination? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.