Dez getting in fights misguided leadership? Another Dez thread **merged**

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDSmith

Reaction score
There can't be any middle ground with you guys.

It is OK to tell Dez to lighten up a little on the chirping and the fighting.

Football fights are meaningless until someone gets hurt or suspended. No one ever wins.

You get to hit the other guy legally during the game to teach him a lesson.

No one is saying to be a punk or coward but just realize the negatives outweigh the positives. AND every coach is trying to ban it from camp because of the negatives.

Now I'm not as smart as Garrett, but if I were trying to make sure the team didn't get into fights I'd probably look at last year's incident with the Raiders and then decide NOT to invite a Jeff Fischer team to practice since they are known to be a little rough around the edges. Now I suppose it could be argued that the Rams aren't the Raiders, so this entire incident comes as a huge surprise, but I can't remember a Fischer team that has ever been thought of as cuddly.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Trash talking doesn't start a brawl. I remember taking a TON of trash talk when I played football and never once thought about starting a fight. The best and only way to defeat trash talk is by beating that person or team on the field. In fact I remember playing against Joe Thomas (yes that Joe Thomas) once in High School in a preseason game. I was a Sophomore trying to make Varsity. And he was a Senior playing TE. I beat him on a play I said something to him. The very next play he literally picked me up off the ground from the shoulder pads and threw me to the ground like a rag doll. Never said anything to him the rest of the game.

If a fight did break out I would do everything I could to help out my team. And I would fully expect my teammates to do the same.

I didn't say the trash talking started the brawl but it can raise the tension level. NFL Network came on the air just prior to the brawl and immediately went over to Cowboys camp where Steve Wyche reported something looked like it was about to go down with tensions rising and he pointed to Dez. The camera then panned over to Dez and there he was jawing with the Rams players while the Cowboys appeared to be going through drills. Dez just stood there bopping his head up and down jawing like he was looking for a fight. I'm fine with him coming to Twill's defense but once he had his say and the other player started to retreat Dez should have done the same thing but he kept jawing and started approaching the player and that's when Jeff Fisher stepped in to talk to Dez. When a player is walking away and the other player is still jawing and approaching that can lead to a fight which is why Fisher stepped in.

Everyone knows Dez has had anger issues that required anger management. He's been involved in 2 fights in the span of a few days where punches were thrown. I'm not saying he's going to start throwing punches on game day but if he does he'll get tossed and it could result in at least a one game suspension. Jerry feared paying Dez a lot of money due anger and maturity issues that could result in an incident. Now that Dez has gotten paid he can't just loosen up and start getting into fights this could lead to an incident off the field. Again I'm not blaming him for that brawl but he needs to calm down and walk away from situations like he did with DeAngelo Hall a couple of years ago. This isn't about passion it's about controlling his temper. The Cowboys can't afford to lose him and things like this can result in him having to sit. I'm sure Garrett has given him a good talking to.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I wish we had 53 players with his passion...nothing to see here, move it along.

There's a difference between passion and anger and Dez seems to use passion as the excuse for every outburst. Him and Witten went at it on the sidelines a couple of years ago and Ware had to step in and literally shook Dez to knock it off. Dez was visibly angry but he claimed it was passion. He got mad at a ref last season and again was visibly angry but denied being angry saying it was passion. I love Dez as a player but he has to calm down and stop being in denial about his temper.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I dont even mind if he gets fined or misses a half .....

Dez is one of the best things to happen to this franchise in awhile.

Go ahead and fight. Go ahead and yell and scream.......As long as he brings it on gameday. Which he does.

This franchise is going to need a little ummmmph to get back to winning....

Dez is that ummmphhh. Wouldnt change a thing about Dez. We are lucky to have him.

Swanny

Reaction score
I didn't say the trash talking started the brawl but it can raise the tension level. NFL Network came on the air just prior to the brawl and immediately went over to Cowboys camp where Steve Wyche reported something looked like it was about to go down with tensions rising and he pointed to Dez. The camera then panned over to Dez and there he was jawing with the Rams players while the Cowboys appeared to be going through drills. Dez just stood there bopping his head up and down jawing like he was looking for a fight. I'm fine with him coming to Twill's defense but once he had his say and the other player started to retreat Dez should have done the same thing but he kept jawing and started approaching the player and that's when Jeff Fisher stepped in to talk to Dez. When a player is walking away and the other player is still jawing and approaching that can lead to a fight which is why Fisher stepped in.

Everyone knows Dez has had anger issues that required anger management. He's been involved in 2 fights in the span of a few days where punches were thrown. I'm not saying he's going to start throwing punches on game day but if he does he'll get tossed and it could result in at least a one game suspension. Jerry feared paying Dez a lot of money due anger and maturity issues that could result in an incident. Now that Dez has gotten paid he can't just loosen up and start getting into fights this could lead to an incident off the field. Again I'm not blaming him for that brawl but he needs to calm down and walk away from situations like he did with DeAngelo Hall a couple of years ago. This isn't about passion it's about controlling his temper. The Cowboys can't afford to lose him and things like this can result in him having to sit. I'm sure Garrett has given him a good talking to.

Neither of these fights have me worried about his temper at all. The Rams fight just heightens the respect I have for him. I don't care what the trash talking is it who starts it or who ends it. Trash talking should never lead to a fight. Period. No matter what. I don't care what is said. But once a the fight broke out Dez did EXACTLY what he should have done. We can agree to disagree I guess. This just gives me more confidence in Dez and I hope he brings this passion on game day. Reminds me of Steve Smith a bit

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Neither of these fights have me worried about his temper at all. The Rams fight just heightens the respect I have for him. I don't care what the trash talking is it who starts it or who ends it. Trash talking should never lead to a fight. Period. No matter what. I don't care what is said. But once a the fight broke out Dez did EXACTLY what he should have done. We can agree to disagree I guess. This just gives me more confidence in Dez and I hope he brings this passion on game day. Reminds me of Steve Smith a bit

We didn't see every single thing that happened but as long as it's nothing but "talk" during games and no punches are thrown everything will be fine. I believe you have to handle situations in practice like you do in a game to train yourself to have restraint. I don't remember Dez throwing punches in practice until this year. I'm not saying he hasn't but I can't remember a situation.

The Natural

Reaction score
before Dez, Witten used to be one of the most explosive personalities on the team. Everyone loved when he got amped and showed his passion for the game.

Funny how when Dez turns up its "that boy needs to watch his temper"

Blackspider214

Reaction score
How dare he get his helmet ripped off and get a cheap shot punch thrown at him.

How dare Patmon punch him first and he reacts.

Give it a rest. The jabs at Dez are so tiresome. He's never been suspended. Never cost us a game with his antics.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
before Dez, Witten used to be one of the most explosive personalities on the team. Everyone loved when he got amped and showed his passion for the game.

Funny how when Dez turns up its "that boy needs to watch his temper"

Hmmmm I wonder why??..........

Oh yeah. A white country boy with that attitude is shown as having grit and tenacity and being a leader.

And young black male acting the same exact way is a "loud mouth, obnxious, thug"

The Natural

Reaction score

Oh yeah. A white country boy with that attitude is shown as having grit and tenacity and being a leader.

And young black male acting the same exact way is a "loud mouth, obnxious, thug"

6355306619115431601235274467_P5pPWWks_400x400.jpeg

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

No need to pull the race card.

mitchell2254

Reaction score
I love Dez. Jimmy Johnson would have loved him. Anyone wanting to win would love him. He is a fighter but you can guarantee every Sunday he will be fighting for the Star and anyone else wearing it.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Dez talks a big talk, walks a big walk, and may even throw a punch occasionally, but he's a player who hates to lose, loves to win, and wants everyone to be as excited about the idea of winning as he is himself. He's the kind of guy you want on your team.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You want his fired up attitude? You take everything that comes with it. This is Dez. It feels like you read this every offseason about Dez on this site. This is who Dez is. Its been 5 or 6 years at this point. Its what you get. And any true Cowboy fan who has seen how this team responds to Dez shouldn't have a problem with it.

Dez backs up his talk with his play on that field.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Dez also tweeted he wish he would have sucker punched a ram. lol
he said he would have done it better.

But I blame the coaches for all the fighting. No discipline, or control, or they want the fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.