Dez heads to VR to Possibly Sign Deal **merged**

Status
Not open for further replies.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't. But if what I heard in the media is correct, the Jones' thought they were in a great position...they had leverage on their side. That's where my comment stems from. They thought Dez would have to blink first.
Practically everything that has been reported outside of Stephen Jones quotes or Dez Bryant tweets has originated from an "unknown source." Regardless of the story, I think everyone should be wary of any information conveyed by the media that does not include a known source for the information.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I would like to see what the Cowboys actually offered Dez. They are saying that the Cowboys only want to guarantee around $20 million, if that is that case it makes no sense.

With the franchise tag this year and next they are essentially already guaranteeing him almost $30 million.

On the other hand, I am sick of hearing guys making over $10 million a YEAR crying about having to take care of their family. Boo hoo, you might have to live on $13 million a season instead of $16 million.

Sorry, but I cant relate to it, especially knowing how expensive it already is to go to a game, buying Sunday Ticket etc...

Last edited:

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I did not say they were not business people, I think they are giving very bad advice and frankly as long as they are getting their money they don't give a damn about these guys. You may be impressed with Jay Z based on his criminal record I think the guy is a thug

This is comical!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Heck no. I'd do the same. And so would all of you hypocrites that would dare criticize him. I hope he sits out several games, if not half the season, just to get justice/revenge/payback. If you don't want to pay the man his rightful due, then you face the consequences. JJ needs an Emmitt v2.0 reminder of what happens when you don't pay your superstars. I guess he didn't learn that lesson the 1st time. He lost the 1st 2 games before giving Emmitt his money, and still won the SB. But, the risk of playing that game with Dez could be disastrous, and Romo's clock is ticking.

That is your view, who are you to speak for everyone else? Making 12.8 million for 1 season is not peanuts.

superonyx

Reaction score
Jason Cole tweeting
@JasonColeBR: I get the sense that neither the #Cowboys nor Tom Condon want to do a deal. Dez is the only person who wants a deal. Desperately.

Sounds like Tom Condon doesn't want Dez to cave in and sign. These agents don't care what the player wants. They care more about padding their resume for the next client presentation.
Of course this is just Jason Cole's take.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Dez should take a deal with 40 million guaranteed.imo stephen is not going to budge from that,he will just franchise Dez again and let him go in 2 years.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Jason Cole tweeting
@JasonColeBR: I get the sense that neither the #Cowboys nor Tom Condon want to do a deal. Dez is the only person who wants a deal. Desperately.

Sounds like Tom Condon doesn't want Dez to cave in and sign. These agents don't care what the player wants. They care more about padding their resume for the next client presentation.

i believe this.

Sydla

Reaction score
Well the fact that the Jones' are literally playing chicken with out superbowl aspirations this season is really upsetting. They are basing all of this on the fact they believe he wont miss games? Not a smart bluff to call imo

That's all fine and dandy if you want to believe that.

But ripping the Jones' for being on vacation is pretty silly.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Jason Cole tweeting

According to Ian Rapoport, Dallas is still actively talking to Dez and has upped their offer

As far as what the Cowboys have put on the table, from what I'm being told, the average per year is more than the $12.8 million franchise tag, which means the Cowboys have come up significantly from their offer last August, which averaged $10 million over the first six years."

Sydla

Reaction score
Heck no. I'd do the same. And so would all of you hypocrites that would dare criticize him. I hope he sits out several games, if not half the season, just to get justice/revenge/payback. If you don't want to pay the man his rightful due, then you face the consequences. JJ needs an Emmitt v2.0 reminder of what happens when you don't pay your superstars. I guess he didn't learn that lesson the 1st time. He lost the 1st 2 games before giving Emmitt his money, and still won the SB. But, the risk of playing that game with Dez could be disastrous, and Romo's clock is ticking.

The latest report is that the Cowboys are offering more in average salary than the franchise tag of $13MM, which would make him the 2nd highest paid WR in football.

What's his rightful due? $16MM or more to meet or exceed Calvin Johnson's ridiculous number?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And I get that part of it CR.

But there are two things that I think have to be considered... The first being that if there were no salary cap, there would be no discussion because it would have already been solved.

The second part is that if players don't like the franchise tag thing, then don't vote "yes" when the CBA needs to be renewed.

This isn't a case of the Jones' family being "cheap". It's a case of them trying to be fiscally responsible under the constraints of the cap and the CBA... which heavens knows they haven't been in the past and it has cost this franchise greatly.
:hammer: :clap:

The Natural

Reaction score
Jason Cole tweeting

It sounds from that the Cowboys don't want to offer a fair deal.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The latest report is that the Cowboys are offering more in average salary than the franchise tag of $13MM, which would make him the 2nd highest paid WR in football.

What's his rightful due? $16MM or more to meet or exceed Calvin Johnson's ridiculous number?

Fact that Dallas is offering to pay him money that would make him the 2nd highest paid I think is more than fair.

Sydla

Reaction score
Jason Cole tweeting

If this is how it's playing out, Bryant needs to tell Condon to shut the up and get the deal done. Condon works for Dez, not the other way around.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No, I wouldn't but I'll tell you this, I would absolutely be pissed off if the club gave in and signed a stupid deal here. I would also probably not offer Dez as lucrative an offer next year. I would probably see if I could trade him. If he does hold out, even after receiving an offer for what would essentially be the second highest contract at his position, then I think you have to probably move on. That is simply not good judgement and you gotta have that if you are paying him to be a cornerstone player. JMO

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Anthony Spencer is a terrible example. He suffered a knee injury on his second tag and was required to have microfracture surgery. He is now playing on a league minimum deal.

You have no basis to say that he made less/more than he would have if he had not been franchised because he never had the opportunity to negotiate on the open market, until after he had already suffered a career threatening injury. Mike Wallace is the most direct comparative to Dez, as he is a lesser WR who, after a great year, was NOT franchised, and made a ton of money.

Spencer is the perfect example, it's all about guaranteed money, not length of deal, So I guess Wallace wasn't franchised because the club didn't feel he was worth it or they had better cheaper options, that's a business decision....Dallas is making a business decision with Dez, they have issues with him off the field and are willing to give him a franchise tag this year and next year, that's their decision, so if Dez isn't happy, then he can play for two years at the franchise tag and go elsewhere...

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
Jason Cole tweeting

this sounds right. Dez hired the wrong agent

Status
Not open for further replies.