Dez heads to VR to Possibly Sign Deal **merged**

Status
Not open for further replies.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
If a contract isn't done today, sitting out games would be a stupid move on his part. He will lose a LOT of $. Sitting out will get him nothing. If a contract isn't inked today, it can't be until next year. What good would sitting out do him? None, plus it would make him look bad for the future with the Cowboys or any other team that might look to sign him.

Sydla

Reaction score
Im just saying the timing is not exactly smart. I mean, hey we are in the middle of trying to reach a long term agreement with our best offensive player next to our QB, heres a thought lets go away for a week. I cant believe you are making excuses for that.

Because it's a completely and utterly bizarre point. The Jones can negotiate a contract from Mars if they wanted to. They don't need to be physically in the Cowboys compound, at their desk, on a Cowboys issued phone to negotiate a contract.

The fact you keep harping on this just makes it seem like you are a Jones' hater more than a Bryant defender.

John813

Reaction score
Im just saying the timing is not exactly smart. I mean, hey we are in the middle of trying to reach a long term agreement with our best offensive player next to our QB, heres a thought lets go away for a week. I cant believe you are making excuses for that.

It's not a big deal. What if Tom Condon was on vacation that week too? Not like Dez and Tom were locked out of Valley Ranch wanting to negotiate a reasonable deal during that week. Pretty sure if Tom called them to discuss a deal, they could be back at Valley ranch in no time, if needed. they got the money and planes to be anywhere at any time.

erod

Reaction score
Would my opinion of him change? Yes and no.

Dez is a misguided and confused soul. He's also deep-down a really good guy who came from the most dysfunctional background imaginable. The world off the football field is a maze of potholes for him, which is why the Cowboys are probably wanting multi layers of protection on such a big investment.

I'd say I'd be more disappointed than anything if he held out, rather than my "opinion changing" about him. He just doesn't understand the economics of all this, and he's being led by the nose by an agent who's more concerned about his other clients and future negotiations than he is Dez, who trusts everybody too much, including his agent and Jerry, in matters of this nature.

Dez makes bad decisions. The same drive and emotion that makes him a special player also makes him a volatile risk for a long-term, high-money deal. Honestly, I don't know how you corral a person like him and make him learn to step back and take inventory in times such as these.

But that's also why, when it comes down to it, I don't think he could hold out. In fact, I don't think he could stay away from the whole camp. He'll show up 10 days prior to the Giants game to get ready. His emotions are high now, but they'll heal fast. That's who he is.

I just hope that he and Jerry will come together today and finish this. I hope Dez finds a glimmer of clarity, and realizes that a few million less and maybe a handful of "rules" is well worth the security now, not to mention the many years after his career that he can benefit from being a Cowboy lifer.

Jerry, Stephen, Garrett, and Romo genuinely care about Dez. I hope he realizes that, because those are the guys, along with others like Tyron and DeMarco and others, that will be his support system in life. Jerry takes a fatherly role for many guys like Dez, and he won't find that anywhere but here.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
If they don't get a deal I hope he does sit out.

Why? How would that benefit Dez? It wouldn't in any way. Yes, it would punish the Cowboys, but it would do the same to his own bank account. In a big way. He's got between 12-13 million reasons NOT to sit out.

superonyx

Reaction score
Not sure if serious... No one can be this delusional right?

Surely you can express and share an original thought. If you want to type an internet cliche at least be competent enough to post the funny picture to go along with it.

The Natural

Reaction score
Why? How would that benefit Dez? It wouldn't in any way. Yes, it would punish the Cowboys, but it would do the same to his own bank account. In a big way. He's got between 12-13 million reasons NOT to sit out.

That's his business, I'll still show up on sunday.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
That is one great response there. I wish I know how to give you a clapping emoticon.

I was responding to this message in the thread asking whether our opinion's of Dez would change if he held out, but the thread was eliminated.

Still, I thought it would be helpful, for what it's worth. If someone had already addressed it, my bad for repeating it.

To find emoticons, click on "reply", then go to top of quote screen and click smiley face. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and you'll see a selection of emoticons. The "clapping" emoticon is on the third line, the fifth from the left. Click and viola!

:clap:

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I'm sure the Cleveland, Jax, Nashville, Oakland and Tampa would offer Dez a lot more money than the Cowboys.. Besides salary cap space what do they have in common.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Because it's a completely and utterly bizarre point. The Jones can negotiate a contract from Mars if they wanted to. They don't need to be physically in the Cowboys compound, at their desk, on a Cowboys issued phone to negotiate a contract.

The fact you keep harping on this just makes it seem like you are a Jones' hater more than a Bryant defender.

Well the fact that the Jones' are literally playing chicken with out superbowl aspirations this season is really upsetting. They are basing all of this on the fact they believe he wont miss games? Not a smart bluff to call imo

erod

Reaction score
I'm sure the Cleveland, Jax, Nashville, Oakland and Tampa would offer Dez a lot more money than the Cowboys.. Besides salary cap space what do they have in common.

Two things. They all suck, and they all have no ability to make an offer until 18 months from now.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I'm not suggesting that Jones or the cowboys are doing anything wrong at all - the CBA was signed and they are using it to their advantage. I'm suggesting that the NFLPA is stupid and really needs to improve their leadership for what you just said - they never should have allowed for this. They really screwed themselves.

The one thing that does bother me a little about Owners is that the Rookie Wage Scale was meant specifically to deal with this sort of thing. It is designed so that more money is available for vets, but I've yet to see teams really open that up.

That isn't true at all. If Mike Wallace can get 30 million guaranteed, Dez can do at least 30. And it is moot anyway - Dez is only guaranteed 12.8. No guarantee of getting franchised again. An injury would ruin those chances.

I agree - the NFLPA agreed to it. They should have already fired Smith by now. That's on them. But that doesn't magically make the tag fair to players. Just because they suck at negotiating doesn't make the tag ok. Additionally, individual players don't make these decisions - their leadership does it unanimously. For all we know, Dez voted AGAINST the tag. So how do we hold him responsible for it now?

Anthony Spencer was franchised twice and made more guaranteed money in those two years than he would if he signed a long term deal and he had a significant knee injury....Dallas right now has offered Dez 20 million guaranteed in a contract, and yes they would franchise him again next year if they don't agree to a long term deal...so Dez would get 30 million guaranteed over two years and then become a free agent to sign anywhere he wants and secure another huge guarantee money in a contract....so the mike Wallace contract is MOOT

phildadon86

Reaction score

Actually it would benefit him, this has already been discussed. I can still sign a one year deal greater then the franchise tag value and continue to negotiate a long term deal. So in all reality he can sit out, and they can sign him to a deal paying him for the games missed. Especially if the team goes 0-2 in the divisions, like they most likely will without him.

HanD

Reaction score

you mean the parties don't just all sit at a table and talk it out? surely tom condon does this simultaneously for both demarius and dez....and i'm sure if it IS over the phone negotiations that tom condon is asking for more money depending on the location the joneses are at on the other end of the line....

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Anthony Spencer was franchised twice and made more guaranteed money in those two years than he would if he signed a long term deal and he had a significant knee injury....Dallas right now has offered Dez 20 million guaranteed in a contract, and yes they would franchise him again next year if they don't agree to a long term deal...so Dez would get 30 million guaranteed over two years and then become a free agent to sign anywhere he wants and secure another huge guarantee money in a contract....so the mike Wallace contract is MOOT

Anthony Spencer is a terrible example. He suffered a knee injury on his second tag and was required to have microfracture surgery. He is now playing on a league minimum deal.

You have no basis to say that he made less/more than he would have if he had not been franchised because he never had the opportunity to negotiate on the open market, until after he had already suffered a career threatening injury. Mike Wallace is the most direct comparative to Dez, as he is a lesser WR who, after a great year, was NOT franchised, and made a ton of money.

marchetta

Reaction score
If Bryant follows through on his threat to hold out if no long term deal is reached, would that change your opinion of him

Heck no. I'd do the same. And so would all of you hypocrites that would dare criticize him. I hope he sits out several games, if not half the season, just to get justice/revenge/payback. If you don't want to pay the man his rightful due, then you face the consequences. JJ needs an Emmitt v2.0 reminder of what happens when you don't pay your superstars. I guess he didn't learn that lesson the 1st time. He lost the 1st 2 games before giving Emmitt his money, and still won the SB. But, the risk of playing that game with Dez could be disastrous, and Romo's clock is ticking.

Status
Not open for further replies.