Dez heads to VR to Possibly Sign Deal **merged**

Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboysLegend365

Reaction score
A lot of numbers have always been involved, they've just blown up so much now with the revenue the league makes.

Sales/Sponsers/Contracts will only get higher

Sydla

Reaction score
I think you mean second highest paid WR?

And it is unfair because he has earned (with 5 years of service) the right to a long term deal with a whole lot more guarantee than 12.8 million dollars. If he tears an ACL making a play for the team, he stands to lose millions of dollars. The franchise tag is designed so that a team can hold onto a player for up to 7 years before that player has the ability to offer his services and negotiate on the open market.

The risk to the player does not match the benefit, especially considering it is the team that benefits.

Well the first obvious point is, THIS IS THE SITUATION THE NFLPA AGREED TO. Player can't sell his skills for 7 years? Then take it up with your union when the next CBA comes up.

And this ACL myth has to die. Jeremy Maclin has had two ACL tears and another mysterious illness that at one point people thought might be cancer and he just signed a huge contract with KC.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
Not sure if serious... No one can be this delusional right?

Now this is a person who gets it. Dez has more passion for football than any player I have ever seen. I hope this process doesn't change him. The business side of football hurts the passion players and fans feel for the game.

Jerry Jones may have made some bad choices with contracts in the past, but I always loved how he seemed like a fan first. He didn't beat players and fans over the head with the business side of the NFL. This new direction with Stephen Jones concerns me. Watching them treat Demarco Murray the way they did was just awful. Regardless of how you feel about the money philly paid him, the team didn't handle it the right way. Murray wanted to stay in Dallas very badly. Dez wants to be a cowboy for life also. something just doesn't feel right with all of this.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No because I understand the business if football.

This just sucks to be happening in a year with legitimate Super Bowl aspirations.

Yeah, it's a business... it's always been a business but the salary cap and the financial constraints it applies have to be respected by those on both sides of the table.

Let's be honest, the Jones family has had issues managing the cap and it has cost this franchise. Cap restraints are a fact of life when it comes to deal with situations like this AND there's the situation about the CJ contract which many agree shouldn't be held to gold-standard because of the situation it was negotiated under.

The Natural

Reaction score
Not sure how anyone could support him going public with his threat to sit out.

If you support Bryant, you'd want him to shut up because now he's painted himself into a corner. So if the Cowboys call his bluff and he comes back for the first game, he shows his stance was a fraud. And then that would also be a nice fat juicy reason for the Cowboys to not even bother talking long term deal at year end. Just tag him again. What's he going to do? Threaten to sit out? LOL.

I hope Bryant tweeted that on his own and not as a directive from Roc or his agents. Because if they thought it was a good idea to tweet that out as some form of pressure on the Jones', he's got some dumb people around him.

I support Dez, I dont want him to do anything except what's best for him. I'm not his handler or his father, he's a grown *** man who doesn't need to be told when to speak and when to be quiet.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
it's always been a business, but what I scoff at is the notion that the employees deserve to share in revenue in the business.

that isn't how it works in most of the business world. through litigation and insane rulings, the NFL operates that way, and it is absurd.

so now we are at a point where a player feels justified to hold out even though he is an idiot being offered nearly 13 million a year.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
What he will get paid for the six games is more than he has made in a single season under his old contract. I think it would be about 5 million. Its funny how teams rarely redo the contract for guy's who are under paid but when the player finally has the opportunity to get their value then the player is wrong for wanting to be paid what they a worth.

This is simply not true. Many teams will redo contracts early on players they trust. The Cowboys have done so. Ratliff, Barber, Scandrick off the top of my head. Two of those contracts were bad decisions.
I think you mean second highest paid WR?

And it is unfair because he has earned (with 5 years of service) the right to a long term deal with a whole lot more guarantee than 12.8 million dollars. If he tears an ACL making a play for the team, he stands to lose millions of dollars. The franchise tag is designed so that a team can hold onto a player for up to 7 years before that player has the ability to offer his services and negotiate on the open market.

The risk to the player does not match the benefit, especially considering it is the team that benefits.

This is a game, with rules. Just because you're a good athlete doesn't mean you have the "right" to anything. It's a privilege to be able to play a game. It's a privilege to get paid millions of dollars to do it.

It would be very easy for him to get an insurance policy that would more than make up for any potential lost money. And how many catastrophic injuries have caused players to retire? How many players have every been killed playing football?

I'm more worried about his back, his judgement, his lack of route running chops, his disappearing in games, than I am about him tearing an ACL.

If he was a team guy, he would understand that the Franchise Tag is part of the game. Be honored that the team feels that you are that important of a piece to the team. Play the season, bust your arse. Support your teammates. Try to win a Super Bowl.

But please stop with the poor me routine. I don't feel sorry for him, not in the least bit. He's made this bed.

And honestly, if he doesn't show up for the first day of training camp, I'd pull the Tag from him and let him walk. Good luck getting Calvin Johnson money then.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
And I get that part of it CR.

But there are two things that I think have to be considered... The first being that if there were no salary cap, there would be no discussion because it would have already been solved.

The second part is that if players don't like the franchise tag thing, then don't vote "yes" when the CBA needs to be renewed.

This isn't a case of the Jones' family being "cheap". It's a case of them trying to be fiscally responsible under the constraints of the cap and the CBA... which heavens knows they haven't been in the past and it has cost this franchise greatly.

I'm not suggesting that Jones or the cowboys are doing anything wrong at all - the CBA was signed and they are using it to their advantage. I'm suggesting that the NFLPA is stupid and really needs to improve their leadership for what you just said - they never should have allowed for this. They really screwed themselves.

The one thing that does bother me a little about Owners is that the Rookie Wage Scale was meant specifically to deal with this sort of thing. It is designed so that more money is available for vets, but I've yet to see teams really open that up.

Dez would get more in guarantee money in two years(30 million) under the francsize tag than he would signing a long term deal..

FULL STOP!

That isn't true at all. If Mike Wallace can get 30 million guaranteed, Dez can do at least 30. And it is moot anyway - Dez is only guaranteed 12.8. No guarantee of getting franchised again. An injury would ruin those chances.

Well the first obvious point is, THIS IS THE SITUATION THE NFLPA AGREED TO. Player can't sell his skills for 7 years? Then take it up with your union when the next CBA comes up.

And this ACL myth has to die. Jeremy Maclin has had two ACL tears and another mysterious illness that at one point people thought might be cancer and he just signed a huge contract with KC.

I agree - the NFLPA agreed to it. They should have already fired Smith by now. That's on them. But that doesn't magically make the tag fair to players. Just because they suck at negotiating doesn't make the tag ok. Additionally, individual players don't make these decisions - their leadership does it unanimously. For all we know, Dez voted AGAINST the tag. So how do we hold him responsible for it now?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Remember the business side of the players in the 70's, when they bailed to go to the WFL....no player loyalty there, and the owners said, go ahead. It failed.

Well, anyway, I'm tired of all this crap in a way. I am loyal to the team over any one player. But at times it does make me want to sale my PSL's to the season tickets.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Please put all Dez related thoughts and comments in this thread today.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I can't believe you are even saying this. In today's world where conglomerate companies are build through video conferencing.

Im just saying the timing is not exactly smart. I mean, hey we are in the middle of trying to reach a long term agreement with our best offensive player next to our QB, heres a thought lets go away for a week. I cant believe you are making excuses for that.

Sydla

Reaction score
I support Dez, I dont want him to do anything except what's best for him. I'm not his handler or his father, he's a grown *** man who doesn't need to be told when to speak and when to be quiet.

Well someone should have talked to him here.

You get that he's painted himself into a corner, right? That once he threw out that public comment that he will sit out games, he can't go back on that right? I am sure his agent is telling him the same thing. Because if he goes back on that promise that he won't play, he's given up every bit of whatever little leverage he had. Because now he's seen as a player who just throws around empty threats.

And in terms of his contract, coming back after publicly stating he'd sit out is just another green light for Dallas to tag him again in 2016. What's he going to do then? Sit out and give up $15MM?

Yeah right.

Grown *** men can make bad and stupid decisions. IMO, going public to the fans with his stance he will sit out was not a smart business move.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
i don't see a deal happening. 7 hours and a gap the size of Strahan's front two teeth.

The Natural

Reaction score
Well someone should have talked to him here.

You get that he's painted himself into a corner, right? That once he threw out that public comment that he will sit out games, he can't go back on that right? I am sure his agent is telling him the same thing. Because if he goes back on that promise that he won't play, he's given up every bit of whatever little leverage he had. Because now he's seen as a player who just throws around empty threats.

And in terms of his contract, coming back after publicly stating he'd sit out is just another green light for Dallas to tag him again in 2016. What's he going to do then? Sit out and give up $15MM?

Yeah right.

Grown *** men can make bad and stupid decisions. IMO, going public to the fans with his stance he will sit out was not a smart business move.

If they don't get a deal I hope he does sit out.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did you create a new thread and then merge it with an old one? Or were you moderated by another mod?

Either way...I'm fascinated.

I created the thread, I then merged some other threads to mine and then added a link in the announcement thread about the Dez threads.

So one could argue I created a new thread and moderated myself by merging other threads.

Holla

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I guess I didn't really answer the thread question, just gave commentary to the tag.

My opinion wouldn't change of Dez. I think both sides have made reasonable arguments and discussion points. they are both simply acting in their own self interest, which are not aligned. Unfortunately for Dez, he has less leverage than the other team, so he has done all he can to attempt to manufacture some new leverage. More power to him.

I wish they could come to an agreement - I think Dez is worth about 14 million a year and has earned a good amount of guaranteed cash. He has stayed out of trouble and he is a fantastic playmaker. He takes over some games and is hard to cover. He has done everything the Cowboys have asked. I think the Cowboys have responsibly managed their cap and are still working toward that. I hope that they come to an agreement that they both can live with, but if not, I hope they realize that they both lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.