Dez heads to VR to Possibly Sign Deal **merged**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
I have to applaud the Jones' for holding firm with Dez. In the past, JJ would usually cave to the demands and mortgage the future of the Cowboys. I think Dez is a great player, but do not believe he is worth Megatron's contract. Megatron was not worth that contract. The Cowboys should not have to pay for the sins of the the Detroit Lions and the Miami Dolphins with the Wallace contract.

The current realistic WR contracts start with Cobb's 10 mil per year he signed this year. Obviously Dez and Thomas are a step above Cobb, so I think anything in the 13M per year is what Dez and Thomas should be signing for. If they are asking for anything above that, they are over valuing themselves and I hope the Cowboys and Broncos hold firm in their offers.

If there was no franchise tag they would not be overvaluing themselves.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas is doing what any other team would be doing. They are not going to cut a bad deal like Det did with CJ so may as well take that BS off the table and deal with reality. Jerry has never been a cheap man, hell if anything he is often accused of overpaying which gets people are upset.

:hammer:

Sydla

Reaction score
So in other words no one here knows what is "evidently" on the table

Is your point that we can't trust the media here because no one really knows what's going on?

That would be an interesting perspective from you considering you took a random media report and concluded that it sounded like the Cowboys weren't willing to give a fair deal.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the one for me... no one should be using the term "fair deal" like it means a specific number. Instead folks are tossing around that term like it means something specific, which it does not.

It sure looks like an undefined grey area that some folks are hiding in to support their own side of the debate.

If Rappaport's report is accurate - and I personally respect and value his work over the click-baiter Jason Cole and Bleacher Report - then the Cowboys are offering a deal averaging $13 million per year. That would make Bryant the league's 2nd highest paid receiver. That's in no way insulting, and it sure doesn't sound like a team that "doesn't want to make a deal".

conner01

Reaction score
No. I blame Jerry and Stephen for turning this into a circus. This should have been done weeks ago.

So we should have made him the highest paid WR in history
Have you considered the ramifications of that
The circus was created by his agent pushing his agenda about holding out

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
yep, he's turning down more money than I can imagine because of ego

I think you are looking at this from the wrong angle. What if you were top 3 best contractors at your job. Market value for your position is 100k. Your performance reviews have been great but u have been getting paid 30k and never complained because
1. That is what you agreed to, and 2. You love the company you work for.
But now its time to negotiate again, do you accept 55k because its more than what you were making, or do you want market value?

The Natural

Reaction score
Is your point that we can't trust the media here because no one really knows what's going on?

That would be an interesting perspective from you considering you took a random media report and concluded that it sounded like the Cowboys weren't willing to give a fair deal.

My point is pretty clear that none of you know what deal is on the table.

CIWhitefish

Reaction score
It's so easy to talk about what's smart and what's not when it's not your money on the line. The pay a franchise tag brings a player should be enough to get a player not to miss games. After today the team can do nothing to improve his situation other than honoring the tag, Dez just has to be wise enough to sign. It's not much of a bluff if you think about it, Dez loses $750K per game he misses. The more it hurts, the only party that can make it stop is Dez. The math isn't hard here. Opting to lose 3/4 of a million dollars per game is a fools move.

Actually the team can negotiate any deal after today, provided it is only one year in length. So say Dez misses week one and Dallas comes a calling to settle. All Dez's camp has to do is say pay us the same 12.8M + regardless of the game miss. End result? No loss of money. They could also demand that Dallas waive the 2nd year franchise tag in the new 1 year deal.

I'm sure Dallas doesn't want any of this and won't do a one year deal after the 15th but it's possible this is the thought process from Dez's side. If you think you deserve to be the highest paid WR you certainly believe there is no way the team will let you miss games.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So we should have made him the highest paid WR in history
Have you considered the ramifications of that
The circus was created by his agent pushing his agenda about holding out

Exactly and as usual Jerry and the Organization takes the blame. lol Dallas pays too much fans complain they don't overpay Fans complain. Fact is Jerry is a great scapegoat for many around here.

If recent reports are accurate (I don't know for a fact they are) then what Dallas is offering is more than fair and it is also fair for the Cowboys to use a franchise tag on a franchise player that ensure they would be getting top pay, that was the object behind it when the NFLPA and Owners agreed on it

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Im just saying the timing is not exactly smart. I mean, hey we are in the middle of trying to reach a long term agreement with our best offensive player next to our QB, heres a thought lets go away for a week. I cant believe you are making excuses for that.

Making excuses? So you are just going to ignore the part about billion dollar companies are bought and sold via video conferencing. Face to face negotiations are becoming more and more a thing of the past.

Excuses? Ok!

Sydla

Reaction score
I think you are looking at this from the wrong angle. What if you were top 3 best contractors at your job. Market value for your position is 100k. Your performance reviews have been great but u have been getting paid 30k and never complained because
1. That is what you agreed to, and 2. You love the company you work for.
But now its time to negotiate again, do you accept 55k because its more than what you were making, or do you want market value?

This is a pretty bad analogy. Because at the worst, the Cowboys are offering to pay him for one year, the 2nd most money a WR would earn.

No one is suggesting he take a crap deal for $8MM per, nor does it appear the Cowboys are even offering anything remotely insulting like that either.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rappaport reported that the Cowboys deal is now larger on an average basis than the franchise tag of $12.8MM and they've come up considerably from their initial offer of $10MM per.

$12.8MM frnachise tag would make Thomas and Bryant the 2nd highest paid WRs this year. So if Dallas is offering a deal that averages more than $12.8MM annually, that would make him the 2nd highest paid WR.

I would not be surprised if the Cowboys were waiting until about an hour before the deadline to make their final offer and it might be substantially better than their last offer. That is what they did in the past with draft picks before the new CBA made those negotiations unnecessary.

My feeling is that Dez really wants to sign a contract and if the Cowboys did make a significant increase in their offer that he would take it, even if it is far below what he has been requesting.

Sydla

Reaction score
My point is pretty clear that none of you know what deal is on the table.

And my point is that you have no idea whether the Cowboys don't want to get a fair deal done. It's disingenuous to discount media reports that don't jive with your opinion and then latch onto ones that do.

The Natural

Reaction score
And my point is that you have no idea whether the Cowboys don't want to get a fair deal done. It's disingenuous to discount media reports that don't jive with your opinion and then latch onto ones that do.

My signature is disingenuous, but thats Cowboy fans for you.

conner01

Reaction score
What he will get paid for the six games is more than he has made in a single season under his old contract. I think it would be about 5 million. Its funny how teams rarely redo the contract for guy's who are under paid but when the player finally has the opportunity to get their value then the player is wrong for wanting to be paid what they a worth.

Teams redo contracts for players all the time
Lots of players sign extensions before they play out their contract
The team is simply applying the rules the players agreed to
If only the teams are required to follow the CBA then the CBA is useless

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If there was no franchise tag they would not be overvaluing themselves.

Dez and Thomas would get more if there was no franchise tag. Some bad team with a massive amount of cap space would give them whatever they want. The size of the contract is not a big deal to teams like Jax and Oakland that have a large amount of cap space.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dez and Thomas would get more if there was no franchise tag. Some bad team with a massive amount of cap space would give them whatever they want. The size of the contract is not a big deal to teams like Jax and Oakland that have a large amount of cap space.

If there was no cap he would have already been signed in Dallas and Ware would have never left.

Status
Not open for further replies.