Dez heads to VR to Possibly Sign Deal **merged**

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think you are looking at this from the wrong angle. What if you were top 3 best contractors at your job. Market value for your position is 100k. Your performance reviews have been great but u have been getting paid 30k and never complained because
1. That is what you agreed to, and 2. You love the company you work for.
But now its time to negotiate again, do you accept 55k because its more than what you were making, or do you want market value?

The problem with your logic is you are saying they are offering about half of his worth when in reality they are offering him top 3 money to a top 3 player.

The Calvin Johnson deal was artificially boosted things due to it being linked to the days where the rookie deals had not been corrected. It's not based on today's labor market.
If you take all other deals after the new labor agreement, you would see that Dallas is almost certainly offering Dez top 3 money.
In fact, I bet they're offering him top 3 money even if you include that crazy deal that CJ got.

phildadon86

Reaction score
It's so easy to talk about what's smart and what's not when it's not your money on the line. The pay a franchise tag brings a player should be enough to get a player not to miss games. After today the team can do nothing to improve his situation other than honoring the tag, Dez just has to be wise enough to sign. It's not much of a bluff if you think about it, Dez loses $750K per game he misses. The more it hurts, the only party that can make it stop is Dez. The math isn't hard here. Opting to lose 3/4 of a million dollars per game is a fools move.

Im sorry, at the end of the day, it is our money on the table, we pay their salaries when we buy tickets, and merchandise. So im sorry but as fans it is partially our money on the table as well.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Dez has no leverage at this point. If he sits games, he just loses money, and the Cowboys will just franchise him again next year. He has to sign.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Do you really foresee this as any sort of possibility?

That the Cowboys would actually cave in, give him the no-tag option for 2016 and pay him for games that he didn't play?

Pigs have a better chance of flying.

And if we go 0-4? They just tank the season because of Dez? doubt that

conner01

Reaction score
Did he miss any regular season games?

("Jeopardy" theme playing in background)

Walter jones was under the old system
No player has held out under the new system. That's why the system was changed, it forces both sides to come together on a long term deal without having holdouts
And the players agreed to the system

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Walter jones was under the old system
No player has held out under the new system. That's why the system was changed, it forces both sides to come together on a long term deal without having holdouts
And the players agreed to the system

You're 100% correct.

phildadon86

Reaction score
IM just hoping for a last ditch effort and Dez caves without Condon. That would be great. I think Jerry should call Dez personally and iron this thing out.

Thefeelofcotton

Mandalorian
Reaction score
I don't think Dez will be satisfied unless he gets a contract for 7 years over 130 million with 50 million guaranteed which ain't gonna happen

erod

Reaction score

If they go 0-4, that means Romo got hurt and half the defense was suspended for PEDs.

Without Dez, they go 2-2 or 3-1. In fact, with him they probably do the same.

Romo is the key, not Dez.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If there was no cap he would have already been signed in Dallas and Ware would have never left.

No cap? I'm just referring to no Franchise Tag.

In regards to no cap, yes the NFL would have a completely different look without a cap.

dstovall5

Reaction score
Actually they don't. For example, 6 guys were tagged this year - Bryant, Thomas, Houston, JPP, Gostowski and Clay. Clay was transition and Gostowski is a K. So throw them out. So that leaves 4 high profile players that were tagged this offseason. Guess how many signed long term deals?

Zero.

In 2014, Greg Hardy, Jimmy Graham, Brian Orakapo, Nick Folk, Alex Mack, Jason Worilds were tagged. Throw out Folk he's a kicker and Mack was a transition tag. Of the 4 remaining players, guess how many signed long term deals before the tag drop date? Only one - Graham.

So in two years, 8 guys were truly franchised. Only one signed before the tag deadline.

And how many of them held out to miss games? Don't gotta respond, I already know the answer. I don't blame Dez one bit if "missing games" is just a scare tactic to get a contract, but if he actually follows through with his threat then that's all we need to know about Dez. I would say franchise him for the next two years and trade his azz.

If he continues to sit through the whole year just to spite them for putting the franchise tag on him, do it again in 2016. I mean why would you want to give someone like that a huge contract with 40-50 million guaranteed? Surely no one is that stupid to actually sit, he would be the first ....

If I'm Dallas I call Dez's bluff, ohh you want to sit out? Go right ahead, feel free to throw away your career. Not happy this year? That's fine we'll franchise you next year as well.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would not be surprised if the Cowboys were waiting until about an hour before the deadline to make their final offer and it might be substantially better than their last offer. That is what they did in the past with draft picks before the new CBA made those negotiations unnecessary.

My feeling is that Dez really wants to sign a contract and if the Cowboys did make a significant increase in their offer that he would take it, even if it is far below what he has been requesting.

I'm in total agreement with you here. I think their past history supports this too.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I don't think Dez will be satisfied unless he gets a contract for 7 years over 130 million with 50 million guaranteed which ain't gonna happen

Hes already said hed play for 13 million a year. Its the guaranteed money holding this deal up. He may say he wants CJ money, that doesnt mean annually, that may mean just a bigger contract.

erod

Reaction score
Im sorry, at the end of the day, it is our money on the table, we pay their salaries when we buy tickets, and merchandise. So im sorry but as fans it is partially our money on the table as well.

And you're going to need a lot of that money for the 20+ free agents the next two years.

John813

Reaction score
If they go 0-4, that means Romo got hurt and half the defense was suspended for PEDs.

And a solid running game.

Would not like to see an ineffective run game + no Dez.

Winnable games, but not as easy.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dez has no leverage at this point. If he sits games, he just loses money, and the Cowboys will just franchise him again next year. He has to sign.

He does have leverage. He could sit the first few games and then sign a 1 yr dear for any amount and also get the Cowboys not to use the tag next year. He has a lot of leverage.

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
This is a pretty bad analogy. Because at the worst, the Cowboys are offering to pay him for one year, the 2nd most money a WR would earn.

No one is suggesting he take a crap deal for $8MM per, nor does it appear the Cowboys are even offering anything remotely insulting like that either.

1 year in a sport where he sacrfices his body. If injured it could ruin his chance of a huge pay day. So increase the amount in the analogy. You would not take 1 year 80k on a dangerous project when u could possibly get a contract guaranteeing you 3 times that injured or not.

phildadon86

Reaction score

Wow, arent we the optimistic. So who carries this team offensively without Dez? If we go 0 and 4 if because teams realize we are now a very flat and singular offense. Its that simple.

conner01

Reaction score
I think you mean second highest paid WR?

And it is unfair because he has earned (with 5 years of service) the right to a long term deal with a whole lot more guarantee than 12.8 million dollars. If he tears an ACL making a play for the team, he stands to lose millions of dollars. The franchise tag is designed so that a team can hold onto a player for up to 7 years before that player has the ability to offer his services and negotiate on the open market.

The risk to the player does not match the benefit, especially considering it is the team that benefits.

Then the players should not have agreed to it
That's what's wrong with our society, people think rules don't apply to them
The players negotiated and voted to approve the CBA
But when the rules are applied then they don't like it
I don't blame dez, I think he is getting very bad advise from an agent who is only interested in his rep and doesn't accept the market
And if dez continues to listen to his advisors he is going to cost himself a whole lot of money and maybe ruin his whole career

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

At 0-4 what would it matter? Would caving into this player for the entire world to see in any way be seen as a good thing? Could the season somehow be salvaged at that point?

This isn't and never has been the 'Emmitt Smith' situation, no matter how badly people have tried to twist the logic to make it appear to be.

It's good to note however, which NFL insiders aren't above being used as shills to get an agent's point of view out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.