Dez heads to VR to Possibly Sign Deal **merged**

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I would not be surprised if the Cowboys were waiting until about an hour before the deadline to make their final offer and it might be substantially better than their last offer. That is what they did in the past with draft picks before the new CBA made those negotiations unnecessary.

My feeling is that Dez really wants to sign a contract and if the Cowboys did make a significant increase in their offer that he would take it, even if it is far below what he has been requesting.

And what sense does that make? This is a fragile young man. Why toy with him. I understand business. But if you have a deal that you are willing to offer. At THIS point....offer it and move on. I know as a fan how long it took me to get over what happened in Green Bay....imagine how Dez feels when he was the one who had to be told he did NOT catch that ball? Both he and Cowboys nation....but ESPECIALLY him...could use something positive NOW....especially with how critical a season this is for our organization. We have not been in this position in a long time....and if you THINK being in this position at THIS point is a negotiating tactic....I think it is PAST time to get it done and let's get rolling!

phildadon86

Reaction score
Sounds like you're more of a Dez fan than a Cowboy fan to me. You actually want Dez to sit, so the Cowboys can suffer? I'm starting to think that article stating we have "the best fans in the NFL" was backwards, maybe he meant 32nd?:laugh:

Im not saying that at all, no player is bigger then the team, Im saying i want him to sit so fans can realize what we have in him as a player. Kind of like when people hated Romo, until he got hurt. Same premise dude. Thats all im saying. If dez wants to hamstring the orginizations future, im not about that at all, but IF he is willing to play for 13 million and all thats stopping this is guaranteed money, there really shouldnt be a hold up. 13-14 a year million 7-8 years 40 Million guaranteed with TD bonuses and such worked into it. That would be enough in my opinion

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Actually it would benefit him, this has already been discussed. I can still sign a one year deal greater then the franchise tag value and continue to negotiate a long term deal. So in all reality he can sit out, and they can sign him to a deal paying him for the games missed. Especially if the team goes 0-2 in the divisions, like they most likely will without him.

No. If a deal isn't done today, Dez will not get a one year deal for more than the franchise tag. To give him that would be stupid. If a deal isn't signed, make him either play for the tag money or sit and get nothing.

conner01

Reaction score
Who says they are not offering the going rate? Could it be he is asking for more than the so called going rate? Cowboys seem to be made out as the bad guy in this. Dallas has been very fair with players over the years to the point the organization has come under fire from many of the same fans who now want Dallas just to bend over and pay whatever Dez demands. I think if Dallas is willing to offer up money that makes Dez the 2nd or 3rd highest paid WR then they are clearly offering the so called going rate.

Being paid in the top two or three in the league at your position seems like a fair rate and is the going rate as it appears that's the market today

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
He does have leverage. He could sit the first few games and then sign a 1 yr dear for any amount and also get the Cowboys not to use the tag next year. He has a lot of leverage.

That's an empty threat, and the Cowboys know it. If he is willing to sit and lose 750k a game, then let him sit. Franchise him again next year and put him in the same situation. He would be a fool to walk away from his guaranteed franchise tender.

Sydla

Reaction score
Stop making sense. It is not well received around these here parts!

It's a terrible analogy but given some of your previous analogies I am not surprised you would grab onto it.

No one has suggested Bryant take essentially half of what Johnson is making. Further, Dallas hasn't made an offer that is just half of what Johnson is making. His franchise tag alone this year would make him the 2nd highest paid WR in football for 2015.

So how anyone can look at analogy that says, "Gee should you work for $55K when your peers are making $100K" and say that's a great point is mindnumbing.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
I have no problem with the revenue sharing with players
I think it's a good system and it is the system thAt both the players and teams agreed to
I have a problem with players not wanting to live up to what they agreed to
The owners have to follow the CBA or they end up in litigation

I have a problem with it.

business owners spent time talent and treasure to build a business. through legal collusion, they are being forced to share equally. It's sickle and hammer style nonsense

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
No reasonable gentleman would disagree that the cap needs to be managed.

But if you're not going to pay going rate for an All-Pro homegrown player who has produced every year in the league, loves the game and lives and breaths The Dallas Cowboys....what's the point?

What. Is. The. Point?

did you say the same thing about Murray then....the Cowboys survived before Dez got here and will long after Dez leaves....he's not the end all be all for this organization....he's a good receiver, but good wide receivers are a dime a dozen coming out of college now and it's all about managing the salary cap and trying to keep a core team together as long as they can to compete for the long haul...and Dez doesn't love the game anymore than anyone else playing pro football.

phildadon86

Reaction score
The franchise tag gives the Cowboys some control over Dez. They are intensely fearful of what an un-mentored Dez would be like with seemingly limitless money.

The Cowboys are trying to protect themselves. Trust me, we don't know half of what has happened the past five years with Dez.

If he doesn't sign, it's as much on him as it is the team. Remember that.

I agree, but to keep lowballing him isnt fair to him either. 13 mil a year is more then enough, the problem is we dont know what the guarantees are

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I have faith, the problem is Garrets system doesnt support the team to win games without beating the other team physically. Our oline can do it, minus Dez none of our receivers can do it, McFadden and Randle? Im the eternal optimist man, im just saying you make it seem like without dez we will be perfectly fine.

You my friend get it. I seriously wonder if people UNDERSTAND what they are watching. And for those who do NOT understand...Garrett has come right out and TOLD you. He is NOT trying to trick you! He is trying to out PHYSICAL you. Which is WHY Garret was an ardent Murray supporter over the other backs on this team. I have often said there was a serious disconnect between the front office and the coaching staff about who DeMarco Murray was..and who he wasn't.

So we have moved on from Murray. And now people think we can just move on from Dez too? Citing Seattle and New England!

Again, you cannot reason with people who only understand fantasy football. And think REAL football is plug and play!

Sydla

Reaction score
Once again...you have missed the mark...but I will give you credit....you are consistent

I didn't miss the mark. No one, including myself, has suggested Bryant take less than market value.

But the analogy involves someone settling for much less than market value when in fact, even with the tag, Bryant would be the 2nd highest paid WR in the league for 2015.......... which would be market value.

erod

Reaction score
I agree, but to keep lowballing him isnt fair to him either. 13 mil a year is more then enough, the problem is we dont know what the guarantees are

The guarantees are probably tied to protection clauses if he goes off the farm. They want assurances, and he doesn't want to give them. I do not fault ANY team for wanting this.

In fact, it should be standard language. It is for you and me at our jobs.

phildadon86

Reaction score
You my friend get it. I seriously wonder if people UNDERSTAND what they are watching. And for those who do NOT understand...Garrett has come right out and TOLD you. He is NOT trying to trick you! He is trying to out PHYSICAL you. Which is WHY Garret was an ardent Murray supporter over the other backs on this team. I have often said there was a serious disconnect between the front office and the coaching staff about who DeMarco Murray was..and who he wasn't.

So we have moved on from Murray. And now people think we can just move on from Dez too? Citing Seattle and New England!

Again, you cannot reason with people who only understand fantasy football. And think REAL football is plug and play!

You can get any WR and win a superbowl, i read it here, it must be true.

John813

Reaction score
I wasnt referring to you, I am just saying in general. Any game is winnable, but why does the orginization want to put us into a situation like that? Romo is still the QB i agree, the problem is we already took away one of the big reasons he was so great last year in Murray, now Dez may sit, the guy that Romo counted on in clutch situations to throw the ball up to knowing he would bring it down. What more does ROMO need to do for this team before they put him into a position to win? Thats what im really upset about. Romo already had to say goodbye to Murray, now Dez may sit? Thats gotta be rough on him

Understood.
It's hard to see what the big holdup is because the media is all over the place. Is the cap hit the issue(AAV), guaranteed money, restrictions in the deal etc?
I wanted Dallas to retain Murray and Dez this offseason. Really liked what I saw from the offense last year and wish they brought everyone back. It was sort of obvious Tony wanted Demarco to stay, imo.
I also want Dez re-sign to a long term deal. However, I guess it goes back to my question to what is the holdup and what side is the unreasonable side, since no one outside of both parties truly knows.Is it the Cowboys trying to underpay him, is it Dez(Tom) trying to get a Calvin + sized deal?

honestly, even with the deadline looming I'm not too worried about this year with Dez. He's an emotional guy, and this potential deal is something very few football players can obtain. It would set him up for life(hopefully) and I'm sure there's a degree of respect for his past and future services and value to the team. I wish he would just step back from twitter and the media right now.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I think you are looking at this from the wrong angle. What if you were top 3 best contractors at your job. Market value for your position is 100k. Your performance reviews have been great but u have been getting paid 30k and never complained because
1. That is what you agreed to, and 2. You love the company you work for.
But now its time to negotiate again, do you accept 55k because its more than what you were making, or do you want market value?

Terrible analogy. He is being offered way over market value for a wide receiver. Nearly CJ money.

phildadon86

Reaction score
The guarantees are probably tied to protection clauses if he goes off the farm. They want assurances, and he doesn't want to give them. I do not fault ANY team for wanting this.

In fact, it should be standard language. It is for you and me at our jobs.

That i agree with. See, even people that argue can come to agreements, get it done DEz lol

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I think you are looking at this from the wrong angle. What if you were top 3 best contractors at your job. Market value for your position is 100k. Your performance reviews have been great but u have been getting paid 30k and never complained because
1. That is what you agreed to, and 2. You love the company you work for.
But now its time to negotiate again, do you accept 55k because its more than what you were making, or do you want market value?

With all due respect, if you're recognized among the top 3 contractor and your company only wants to pay you $55,000 when the other contractors are making $100,000, you'd be best to change companies. Even if one pays you $95,000, that's better than $55,000 and paying you closer to what you're worth.

I don't know many people who would work for less than what they're worth. And before anyone cites Tim Duncan, Tim Duncan has made millions over his career. Dez is on his second contract, the one where he stands to make millions. At the end of your career, you can make such decisions. Very few people do so at the beginning of their careers when their earning potential is greater.

Status
Not open for further replies.