Did the Cowboys get the best QB in the draft?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Russell Wilson was a 3rd round pick and won the Superbowl as a rookie.

Why is it so SHOCKING if Prescott is the best quarterback in a draft that was not touted as being a great QB draft? Yes QBs went 1-2, but even the experts that hyped them acknowledged this wasn't a top tier group.

Have we ever seen a rookie but up performances in the preseason like this? Yes, its preseason and small sample size. But if Wilson was good enough, Prescott certainly could be.

I am not suggesting we have a QB controversy, but there is a decent chance what we are seeing is real. Just like there's still a chance it is not.

But lets stop trying to "qualify" the performances. So far, Prescott looks like the best QB in the draft. You can't really argue the opposite.
Russell Wilson (and Seattle) did not go to the Super Bowl his rookie year, let alone win it..
They did win one playoff game with one of the best defenses in the last decade.

I will say this, Dak seems to have some what of Wilson had in his overall presence. That's a gift.

RedLine

Reaction score
I don't see a lot of comparison between Dak and McNabb.

Now if you said Warren Moon or Steve McNair, then I think you'd be closer.

In a uniform Prescott doesn't resemble McNabb's body type.

And I'll say it right now... I think Prescott throws a better medium ball than McNabb.

I lived in Houston during the Warren Moon era and I was thinking the same thing. Dak has a similar physique and that smooth delivery. I am no scout, but I watched Moon play for several years and Dak does remind me of him.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
The guy has a quality that some of the best QBs have. The ability to look off safeties and linebackers. Just watch his eyes, he'll start a play looking to the right, then switch over to the left with a dart slant.
I'm sure playing for Miss helped him to feel pressure and know when to move, he did a lot of that in Miss. The play where he zipped a 65 yarder to Butler, he moved slightly to his left feeling the pressure before throwing that. That reminded me of Aaron Rodgers. He's always looking for the single coverage guy.

Think about this people. On one drive, he scored 3 times. 3 freaking times. Penalties kept pushing him back, but he scored 3 times. I don't know what to do about this, I'm just in shock. The one near interception came on a route by an inexperienced route runner in Whitehead. Whitehead looked like he was supposed to run across the DB but he stopped and went behind the DB and I saw he and Whitehead discussing it just a while later.

On the play where he was running out of bounds, jumped, and tried to zip a ball to Butler, that play was actually pretty amazing if you go back and look at it. I think it was Butler he was trying to throw to, but he opened up at the last minute, Dak jumped up high before falling out of bounds and zipped the ball to him, he just dropped it.

And the play where he immediately ran right and zipped an out ball to 81 was pretty incredible too. I don't know what we're seeing right before our own eyes, but look out.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
I didn't realize Goff was so scrawny. Why is Deshaun Watson so scrutinized about his size? He is currently 6'2", 218 lbs. I am sure that's bigger than Goff who went #1
I like Watson and am hoping Clemson wins it all this tear.
I think Goff was taller though. GMs still prefer 6'4 to 6'2, all else equal.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I was a Goff guy. You all know I had my Goff sig rockin for weeks. There's no way I would even fix my brain to consider trading Dak for Goff. Goff "was" my guy. Past tense. But he's elsewhere now. I'm going to enjoy watching this steal blossom in Big D.

I respect that

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Who is the genius that scouted out this diamond from the rough? Was it Will McClay? I'm loving what Dak is showing us he is capable of doing. I expect his performances to only get better. I'm still team Romo but Dak has me feeling no worries about our backup QB situation.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Let me add this. Once Dak came into the game last night, I believe they scored on every possession he was in. It's like no matter what, they couldn't stop him from scoring. You know how many penalties we had? Didn't matter.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Has all the physical tools and mental capabilities to make the transition to the NFL and earn a starting position. Second/Third round."

To me that matches up 100% with what we've seen so far.
Except for that description is a definite first round talent. What were Ourlads' knocks on him to drop him to the 2nd or 3rd round.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
You guys are getting ahead of yourselves.

Yes Dak has been spectacular these last two games, but how can we say we got the best QB in the draft already?

Dak has come in to a way better situation than both Goff and Wentz.

An elite qb to help mentor him
Better offensive line
Better receivers

Hopefully he keeps improving and we have our future qb.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score

Yes Dak has been spectacular these last two games, but how can we say we got the best QB in the draft already?

Better offensive line
Better receivers

I will give you that he came into a better situation. But once the 1st teamers went out yesterday and the oline protection went down, he was still dangerous. Why? Because he's used to getting out of bad spots, Mississippi. A guy that can throw the ball is dangerous. A guy that can run the ball is Dangerous. A guy that do both, is otherworldly. Not saying Dak is otherworldly, but a guy who can do both is.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score

Better offensive line
Better receivers

Reasonable take. I would say that situation plays a lot into QB success or failure. QBs that come into a situation like this would have time to develop and natural ability will eventually reveal itself. David Carr was ruined because he got drafted by a team and a coaching staff that couldn't protect him.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Here's what Ourlads says about the kid...

"A natural leader who is durable and tough. Poised, athletic, instinctive, and smart with good field vision. Has good vertical arm strength when called on to pass downfield.

Has a quick release with accuracy in the short and intermediate game. Shows accuracy on the move outside the pocket. Has good vision, always keeping his eyes down the field.

Despite his natural running ability, he is first a passer who moves well in the picket. This past fall the Bulldog line was a team weakness, yet Prescott answered the bell time and time again after being pressured and sacked, particularly versus Alabama and Mississippi.
With a new center, the shotgun snaps were all over the place, but the veteran quarterback handled the snaps calmly with no panic and played with confidence. Has a good football IQ that he transfers his knowledge to the field.

Smooth, easy, and effortless in his get away from center a the Combine and Senior Bowl. Had a string of 288 passes without an interception. Has all the physical tools and mental capabilities to make the transition to the NFL and earn a starting position. Second/Third round."

To me that matches up 100% with what we've seen so far.
Very Romo like...

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
I lived in Houston during the Warren Moon era and I was thinking the same thing. Dak has a similar physique and that smooth delivery. I am no scout, but I watched Moon play for several years and Dak does remind me of him.
Their physiques and throwing styles are different. Dak has a broader build imo.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Except for that description is a definite first round talent. What were Ourlads' knocks on him to drop him to the 2nd or 3rd round.

Really not a lot...

Plays "hot potato" between catching the snap and getting the ball out to the receivers on screen passes and hitch routes.

The only other negative was talking about the DUI.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I'm a big believer that the top QBs are able to slide in the pocket to buy time. They don't have to be runners, but that sixth sense to me is one of the top traits I look for in a young QB. Brady, Rodgers, Romo, Ben, etc all have it in spades.

And last night, Dak showed it. He'd roll right. Slide left. The play where he sensed the tackle being beat impressed me. Young QBs are processing so much new info that it's difficult to see this trait early on.

Throw on top the fact his cool demeanor, ability to generate points, mobility, accuracy, ability to throw ANY throw (back shoulder, screen, crossing route, bomb) and I'm just in awe.

Who knows what the future has in store. But we literally could not have asked to see anything more impressive than he has displayed.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Really not a lot...

Plays "hot potato" between catching the snap and getting the ball out to the receivers on screen passes and hitch routes.

The only other negative was talking about the DUI.

I'd seen some of him in college and liked the general skill set, but hardly watched enough to have an opinion. So I leaned on the reports when we drafted him.

It seemed like most of what I read said adequate arm strength and questionable accuracy. I anticipated some balls in the dirt, throws behind receivers, bad decisions.

Basically a work in progress.

He's been anything but.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd seen some of him in college and liked the general skill set, but hardly watched enough to have an opinion. So I leaned on the reports when we drafted him.

It seemed like most of what I read said adequate arm strength and questionable accuracy. I anticipated some balls in the dirt, throws behind receivers, bad decisions.

Basically a work in progress.

He's been anything but.

No doubt.

Again, I think much of Dak's accuracy problems in college were due to a horrible offensive line and in conjunction with that the center he was working with was bad doing the shot-gun snap.

lukin2006

Reaction score
He can not be any worse than what was trotted on the field last year after Romo went down? At least I hope not.