Dixie Flag controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
You are missing the point and attempting to deflect ... those other flags are not in demand enough to merit keeping them in stock. The confederate flag however is in demand. Businesses have a right to sell or not sell whatever they want... a point I have already made. I just think it is a bad decision.

Not technically true. There are plenty of things businesses can't sell, but that's beside the point.

As far as the flag goes, I don't think it has a place in any official capacity - as has been stated. I think that's a perfectly reasonable request that should be complied with, and it doesn't affect any private right to buy and fly whatever flag you wish.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
If I told you grapefruit eaters are racist and then told you "you like grapefruit", yes it would or should bother you.

Where did I say the people that fly it are racist? I repeatedly called it a racist symbol, but have not at all attempted to paint everyone who uses it as racist.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Not technically true. There are plenty of things businesses can't sell, but that's beside the point.

As far as the flag goes, I don't think it has a place in any official capacity - as has been stated. I think that's a perfectly reasonable request that should be complied with, and it doesn't affect any private right to buy and fly whatever flag you wish.

So what, because you think it, it makes it so. It's your opinion not lawful or right or wrong. I think something different and it's no less right or wrong. It's just different.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Where did I say the people that fly it are racist? I repeatedly called it a racist symbol, but have not at all attempted to paint everyone who uses it as racist.

Now you are back tracking. Be a man and own your words, dude.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Why to you equate that flag to racist hate? The confederates wore gray, do you equate gray with racist hate? KKK wears white, do you equate white with racist hate? That flag represents so much more than what you accuse it to represent. A lot of southern proud folks see that flag as a representation of their heritage and do not attribute any racism to it what so ever. You are applying 21 century thinking to a 19th century flag. Southern folks have evolved since that time and so have the keepers of that flag.

? Many such hate groups including the KKK have long used the flag. It became a symbol of the Confederate army who fought to keep slavery. The only "southern proud folks" who are proud of that heritage are racists or are too ignorant to understand what the flag stands for.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Two separate issues. We're just talking about the confederate flag. I agree with you about the over hyping of many current issues in regards to race.

no. we're not.

we're talking the general lee.
we're talking civil war games on sony
we're talking the flag now being banned and all in the name of righteousness.
robert e lee schools must be renamed.
statues of civil war military people must be removed.

just the flag?

Thug is becoming taboo now and "hurtful". how long before that word can't be used w/o someone being racist? *just the flag* look around. it's far more than that.

i'm not in favor of what many believe the flags stands for to be sure. but i'm less in favor of erasing history. if rights are in fact a shared among us all, then as shared rights we all share the responsibility of protecting them. the only thing happening now is the people in the middle are tired of the 2 extremes and the backlash is about to get nasty. you can only tell people they have to accept so much before they've had enough.

judging from reactions so far, i think we're getting close to that time.

so no. they're not seperate issues no matter how you may try to justify it and/or sell it. the radical PC group needs to stop telling people how to live their lives.

period.

Last edited:

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
? Many such hate groups including the KKK have long used the flag. It became a symbol of the Confederate army who fought to keep slavery. The only "southern proud folks" who are proud of that heritage are racists or are too ignorant to understand what the flag stands for.

so if someone supports the flag they're racist?

yea. just the flag.

and the american flag was flown as we wiped out the indians. if they deem it hateful and hurtful, does it go now? again, "thug" now racist, stop using it. and it goes on and on and you won't see it cause you're too busy wrapped up in a PC blanket playing moral superiority, it would seem.

goodbye. have a nice life. i got no time for this crap.

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
you suggested they should stay at historical sites, when no one suggested that they shouldn't

No if you would read more carefully I said they should be moved from official government facilities to a place were they can be recognized for their historical significance, like historical sites or museums.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score

i can see and understand that. but the wholesale REMOVE REMOVE REMOVE because an angry mob will call you racist w/o ever knowing a damn thing about you? the trouble again though is once you've let someone have the power to dictate what can and can't be done, they don't stop.

i think recent events bears that out.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

Wrong in sooooo many ways. It's thinking like yours that caused this kerfuffle in the first place. You are talking from a position of ignorance that has no idea how other southern folks feel about this flag which is in no way racist. You just don't know.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
i can see and understand that. but the wholesale REMOVE REMOVE REMOVE because an angry mob will call you racist w/o ever knowing a damn thing about you? the trouble again though is once you've let someone have the power to dictate what can and can't be done, they don't stop.

The Supreme Court was created just to do that. It's nothing new.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
the radical PC group needs to stop telling people how to live their lives.

Not at all the case, whether it's a school, street name, statue or government building, changing the it, is not telling you how to live your life. Someone wants to name their son after Robert Lee, go ahead. Someone want to put a confederate bumper sticker on their car, have it. If someone wants to build a shrine to the whole lot of them in their back yard, good luck. But when we are talking about government functions, which belong to us all, a certain portion of the population should not have to feel that people that fought for them to remain in chains are being honored. That is not telling you how to live your life.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Wrong in sooooo many ways. It's thinking like yours that caused this kerfuffle in the first place. You are talking from a position of ignorance that has no idea how other southern folks feel about this flag which is in no way racist. You just don't know.

Explain it to me then.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score

I'm not the angry mob type, but I think one of the main reasons we have a government is that they listen to their citizens. I don't think any one person is in a position to dictate to the government how to handle this, it's just a matter of whether they think the opinions they hear are worth listening to or not. If not, the flags will stay right where they are.

So what, because you think it, it makes it so. It's your opinion not lawful or right or wrong. I think something different and it's no less right or wrong. It's just different.

You are a belligerent human being.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Not at all the case, whether it's a school, street name, statue or government building, changing the it, is not telling you how to live your life. Someone wants to name their son after Robert Lee, go ahead. Someone want to put a confederate bumper sticker on their car, have it. If someone wants to build a shrine to the whole lot of them in their back yard, good luck. But when we are talking about government functions, which belong to us all, a certain portion of the population should not have to feel that people that fought for them to remain in chains are being honored. That is not telling you how to live your life.

but what good does it do to change the name of schools? i'm betting 99% of those who are calling for the school to change the name don't even know much of anything about the man.

lemmings shouting BURN THE BOOKS is all that is happening now.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I'm not the angry mob type, but I think one of the main reasons we have a government is that they listen to their citizens. I don't think any one person is in a position to dictate to the government how to handle this, it's just a matter of whether they think the opinions they hear are worth listening to or not. If not, the flags will stay right where they are.

You are a belligerent human being.

don't have a whole lot of faith in the government, sorry. they've not shown to give much of a damn about what people think.

and i'm belligerent cause i don't think banning all this is a good idea. ok. your right to think that.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
I will be glad to answer your question as soon as you answer mine, do you really believe that no one, including the KKK has ever used that flag as a symbol of racism?

It makes NO difference if a group or groups of people use something and adopt it for their purposes or as some sort of symbol. That is meaningless. It doesnt change what the thing's initial purpose or meaning or representation is/was for historical purposes.

What you are saying is if anyone misuses something then that takes precedence over its real/true meaning. And when we allow that or cater to it its is an endless game. Nothing is safe when we open that door - and that is exactly what we are seeing in this country of weak minded people and those looking fr something to be offended by.

Status
Not open for further replies.