News: DMN: Stephen Jones: Cowboys will be ‘efficient’ in free agency

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Anyone who watched 1992 Dallas Cowboys football that thinks one guy was a major factor really shouldn't discuss it anymore.
That is probably the best football team of all-time.
No one guy was the difference maker.

On offense Dallas had the best OL in football plus the triplets and a great TE. Basically they were great at all 11 positions.
On defense they had 8 starter caliber DL. Tolbert and Jeffcoat had pro bowl caliber seasons. ALL the interior DL could rush the passer and get pressure.
Adding Haley certainly helped but it was a rather limited role for him and arguably his smallest of his career up to that point.

While all of this is true, JT, the one thing that is overlooked regarding Haley's impact on the team has very little to do with stats. He had been there, knew what it took to get there and pushed his teammates to another level through accountability. The numbers can be bandied about and referenced all day long. The true measure of the player's impact is how he impacted the team as a whole. Every single player on that defense has referenced Haley as the factor that put that defense over the top. It had a whole hell of a lot less to do with stats than many want to admit or even reference.

With all that said, your point is well taken.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Deion played 9 regular season games and all of the playoff games. Saying that he didn't impact that season is silly.

Saying that Haley had minimal impact in the Super Bowl seasons is silly.

Those were 2 of the worst seasons of those guys careers, ignoring that is silly.
It really goes beyond that to agenda driven nonsense.

From 1992 to 1999 Deion made the Pro Bowl ever year but one... guess which one?
From 1992 to 1998 Deion made All Pro every year but one... guess which one?

We are covering goofy ground that is easily checked online. It takes seconds.

And all to promote an agenda of doing something Dallas is extremely unlikely to do.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
no prob disagreeing but you do gotta clean up the fact part man.
it is frustrating when someone has an opinion based upon facts that are simply not accurate.
faced with the truth of those facts they hold fast to their opinion which means they really didn't wanna discuss it all.

It's a difference of opinion. How do you argue the effects each player had on the Cowboys? You contend that they didn't effect the seasons much in the years they were signed. I don't agree with that. Stats are important and I would not dispute that but honestly, there is no way I am going to agree that Charles Haley coming off the edge doesn't effect how opposing offenses play against those teams. How do you statistically quantify that? Has nothing to do with not wanting to discuss. Has everything to do with stats not being the best way to measure each players impact.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Yes let's go out and sign all the big names. That's worked so well for so many teams in the past. You don't win that way.You win by drafting quality players, starters and filling in the rest of you team with players who fit your scheme and salary cap.

I agree so how about filling in with "one great player" like the Packers did with Peppers. He was the right player at the right time in the right scheme and improved them tremendously and you could say made a play that helped them win a Divisional game.

I think Suh is a big name - I think Hardy is a great player who I think we could structure appropriately because of his age.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No, but let's go out and sign "one great player" like the Packers did with Peppers. He was the right player at the right time in the right scheme and improved them tremendously and you could say made a play that helped them win a Divisional game.

I think Suh is a big name - I think Hardy is a great player.

I tend to agree. A player like Suh, and let just say that I don't believe we will be signing him, but a player like Suh will improve any team he goes to, with his on the field play. Now, you can say that his salary requirements might hurt in the long run because obviously his cap number is going to prevent you for doing certain things. The other side of that discussion is, who can you draft or sign that will impact to the extent Suh will on Defense? What two players can you draft or sign that will do that?

mldardy

Reaction score
I agree so how about filling in with "one great player" like the Packers did with Peppers. He was the right player at the right time in the right scheme and improved them tremendously and you could say made a play that helped them win a Divisional game.

I think Suh is a big name - I think Hardy is a great player who I think we could structure appropriately because of his age.

I think all of those players are fine at the right price and if it doesn't cost us from losing someone else.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
haley had virtually zero impact for the 1992 Cowboys which is arguably the greatest team in NFL history.
he followed that with another mediocre injury-slowed season in 1993 when we again walked through teams to a title.

You must be too young to have watched those teams. Your words will look patently false to anyone who did.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Im just reading the team will look for bargains. If Hardy is a big contact but still a relative bargain compared to other elite pass rushers, I don't think it automatically eliminates him as a target. If he had no baggage he would likely be in the 13-14/yr range. If you can get him at 9-11/yr isnt that still a bargain?

Plankton

Reaction score
Another point to the improvement of the '92 defense was the drafting of Kevin Smith and him started at CB instead of Ike Holt.

That made a big difference to the pass defense.

Unfortunately Kevin Smith's contribution is often forgotten, while everyone wants to point to Haley (alone) as being the (only) difference.

I almost forgot the drafting of Jimmie Jones, who was a nice 3rd down pass rusher.

Jones was drafted in the third round in 1990.

Smith was a big add to the secondary, as was Thomas Everett, who was a huge upgrade over Ray Horton at safety. Leon Lett and Tony Tolbert also took bigger steps forward as contributors on the line.

Where Haley impacted the defense was with presence. Haley drew a lot of additional attention, which opened up opportunities for Jim Jeffcoat, Jones, Leon Lett and Tony Tolbert to face single team blocks on pass rushes. It really helped Jeffcoat, as he could have his snaps reduced to pass rush situations, and he took advantage with 10.5 sacks in 1992.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
http://newsok.com/haley-keeps-the-heat-on-qbs/article/2410763

The most disruptive force on the Dallas defense doesn't have the statistics to show it.

Charles Haley has exactly one sack in seven games. The defensive end was picked up from the San Francisco 49ers to have many, many more quarterback traps.

"The coaches feel he's as important as anyone out there," Dallas defensive coordinator Dave Wannstedt said. "He's always hanging on the quarterback on big plays. The offensive lines sure know about him. They're doing everything they can to stop him from double to triple teams. " Haley's teammates know about the quarterback "hurries" Haley can produce. He has 26 pressures, highest on the team.

"Haley puts so much pressure on the quarterback from the outside that I get my traps when the quarterback tries to step up to avoid him," Jimmie Jones said.

Dallas coach Jimmy Johnson said Haley is the big reason the Cowboys rush the passer better.

"Haley has been a big boost to us," Johnson said. "A lot of guys have traps which are the result of his pressure. I think our pass rush is much, much better. "

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those were 2 of the worst seasons of those guys careers, ignoring that is silly.
It really goes beyond that to agenda driven nonsense.

From 1992 to 1999 Deion made the Pro Bowl ever year but one... guess which one?
From 1992 to 1998 Deion made All Pro every year but one... guess which one?

We are covering goofy ground that is easily checked online. It takes seconds.

And all to promote an agenda of doing something Dallas is extremely unlikely to do.

You are the only person that I know of that does not think Haley and Deion were big contributors in those Super Bowls.

Ken

Reaction score
I wouldn't. That would be dumb. Cowboys have learned their lesson.

For marginal players I understand your viewpoint. For differencemakers like Suh or Hardy....you grab those guys when they rarely hit FA.

cuzstud

Reaction score
I would like to see us pick one big defensive stud, then be prudent on other pickups (RB, CB LB etc).

dallas has to pick up a big time passrusher instead of hoping a first round pick pans out, dallas needs an establish dominant pass rusher right now because they are ready to to win right now, and they can draft another pass rusher in the first round to go along with what they have, u can never have enough pass rushers, if they keep signing low end bargain their defense will stay the same or get worseser, getting a pass rusher like greg hardy and not giving up no compensation u got to grab them, and u cant really worry about the financial part because dallas profits more than any other team in the nfl period ! so why keep nickle and dimming your team , thats stupid, thats like trading your first,second and third round picks because u dont wont to spend alot of money on high round picks!

Fredd

Reaction score
the one thing dallas needs to improve on is pass rush...they just don't get enough pressure...so, imo, getting one guy on the dline that can make the other team game-plan around him would make that kind a difference maker...and, it doesn't have to be a pass rushing DE...getting someone to apply pressure up the middle like a suh, to go along with Crawford would make the opposing qb nervous and make them move around and into DLaw's area (for example)....I don't see dallas making a splash signing like that, but I sure hope they get there...a pass rush makes the back 7 SO MUCH better

cuzstud

Reaction score
the one thing dallas needs to improve on is pass rush...they just don't get enough pressure...so, imo, getting one guy on the dline that can make the other team game-plan around him would make that kind a difference maker...and, it doesn't have to be a pass rushing DE...getting someone to apply pressure up the middle like a suh, to go along with Crawford would make the opposing qb nervous and make them move around and into DLaw's area (for example)....I don't see dallas making a splash signing like that, but I sure hope they get there...a pass rush makes the back 7 SO MUCH better

why waste 143 million dollars on your complete 53 man roster when wont u can get a dominant player like suh or hardy to get your defense and team over the top and get in the super bowl! to me mincy was a major dissapiontment thats why the jaguars let him go, he only got 6 sacks last year! justin houston got 5 in 1 game! that means mincey got at least 1 sack in 6 games and went with out a sack in the 10 other games! that is awful, and he got them in garbage time when we had big leads,, if thats steven jones ceiling of a defensive end getting 6 sacks a season being successful then he needs to give up his day job! if they dont get suh or hardy this year the team is done period! why keep making it to the divisional rounds in the playoffs and never advancing to the nfc championship or the super bowl by not trying to upgrade your team significantally if they get suh or hardy they is clearly the odds on favorite to go to the superbowl in the nfc period and the clear favorite to win it all, the jonses are known as the big dogs of the nfl in spending, just because it didnt pan out spending big on brandon car, jay ratliff, barber,ware, it did work with HALEY, AND SANDERS! u win some and u loose some but this team is ready to win it all now!

BiffWellingtonIII

Reaction score
Asinine ...

We're gonna go cheap when we were a bad call away from the title game and our QB is 33 years old...?

Efficient won't win this year ... Efficient won't beat out the track team kelly is about to put together ...

We need a CB like a real one ... A leader on Defense too a DT ... A MLB .. A new wrinkle on offense which too became predictable .

This is the year to restructure everyone and GO FOR IT.

Or sit there and watch the Eagles take it from us ... Giants too.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
why waste 143 million dollars on your complete 53 man roster when wont u can get a dominant player like suh or hardy to get your defense and team over the top and get in the super bowl! to me mincy was a major dissapiontment thats why the jaguars let him go, he only got 6 sacks last year! justin houston got 5 in 1 game! that means mincey got at least 1 sack in 6 games and went with out a sack in the 10 other games! that is awful, and he got them in garbage time when we had big leads,, if thats steven jones ceiling of a defensive end getting 6 sacks a season being successful then he needs to give up his day job! if they dont get suh or hardy this year the team is done period! why keep making it to the divisional rounds in the playoffs and never advancing to the nfc championship or the super bowl by not trying to upgrade your team significantally if they get suh or hardy they is clearly the odds on favorite to go to the superbowl in the nfc period and the clear favorite to win it all, the jonses are known as the big dogs of the nfl in spending, just because it didnt pan out spending big on brandon car, jay ratliff, barber,ware, it did work with HALEY, AND SANDERS! u win some and u loose some but this team is ready to win it all now!

Try using punctuation and correctly using capitalization.

The old days of texting on a phone with a numeric keypad are gone.