CFZ Do fans ever "hang their cleats up"?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Nobody ever gives up being a fan, they just switch to talking about how much they hate them.

Exhibit A:
I quit getting worked up after the 2016 Packer loss at AT&T....the team had TWO YEARS to stew over getting screwed in Green Bay in 2014, yet they come out flat and go down 21-3 to start the game....that was it for me. "Blank em" was my immediate thought...and still is.
:laugh:

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
For any NFL fan:

Chances of your season ending gleefully are 32:1 against you. If you are one of those fans who DEMANDS a championship-or-else...you are going to be one unhappy loser over and over and over again.
Then why bother following anything competitive if you are not interested in being the best?

I truly don't get why you even follow any sports with that attitude. You could just watch movies or play video games for entertainment instead.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm a Cowboys fan who happens to like many of the offseason moves the Cowboys have made this year. Missed out some players I would have to have seen drafted, but other than that, I don't really have much to complain about.

At the same time, I have my doubts about whether the Cowboys have done enough to catch up to the Eagles. The Eagles have been fortunate the past couple of seasons by getting rid of Carson Wentz and finding a sucker team to suck draft capital out of while scoring on their own QB in the 2nd round. So I'm not personally mad at the Eagles for being successful, just bad timing for the Cowboys.

Long story short, I'm optimistic that the Cowboys can get to at least the NFC championship, yet would not be surprised if we don't. I don't really know what the odds are for getting past the Eagles or getting deep into the playoffs or Super Bowl. I just know I am getting close to the end of my ropes. I don't think I can recover from another playoff heartbreak. And yes I felt the same way during the end of the Tom Landry era and hopped right back in when the early 90s Cowboys broke the playoff futility streak and won a few SBs.

But you get to a certain age in life and you can no longer justify being miserable on Sundays or miserable each January. Feeling like you should have spent your Sundays doing more important things. That's kind of where I'm at.

Just curious if other fans relate to that feeling.
It's just a game.....I coached for a living, those games mattered.....the Cowboys are just for fun.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My cleats have worn down over time and I don't get the traction I used to get but they're still my cleats and I put them on so long ago, they're comfortable.

I do believe the fans care much more than the players and it is just a job for mercenaries for them but I do not blame them, there is no loyalty in the NFL. They're in it to make as much as they can and then get a job in broadcasting and they really don't have to have been that good to do that.

I never really thought about hanging the cleats up except when there might be a remote possibility they signed vick. I wouldn't have just hung them up, I would have worn any other team's playing them every week of the season.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Having kids changed my focus and priorities. I still watch the cowboys, post here etc but it’s no longer as important. Losses or wins don’t impact as much. Monday morning doesn’t get easier or harder after a game at work.

If the kids want to play during the game, I’ll play.
Wait. Are you trying to say your kids are more important than the Cowboys?

JayFord

Reaction score
There’s some fans on this board that need to hang their cleats up. The Cowboys haven’t even won a divisional round game in 28 years, so the odds on them reaching a title game are slim at best every year. Playoff wins have been few and far between the past 30 years. Most of us are likely to never experience the runs the Cowboys had during the 70s and early 90s. Despite all that, I still look forward to the season and enjoy watching football. I’m just glad I’ve been a fan of the team for 50 years and got to experience their greatest moments. Some of you will never experience with the Cowboys what some of us have.
I wouldnt mind if half of the board hung it up

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
When I was a kid and teen in the 70s and 80s losses were tough. Tears sometimes. Ruins the week. The 90s were great and still really invested. Losses ruined weeks. I even held out hope with Campo/Gailey etc. Where I turned more passive was Garrett. He ruined a decade for me. I still am obviously here and enjoy talking Cowboys and watching. Just it doesn't ruin anything anymore. Honestly I watch just as much golf or English Premier League. Too much kid stuff to worry about this team. Love to see a run again but I'm not waiting.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I'm a Cowboys fan who happens to like many of the offseason moves the Cowboys have made this year. Missed out some players I would have to have seen drafted, but other than that, I don't really have much to complain about.

At the same time, I have my doubts about whether the Cowboys have done enough to catch up to the Eagles. The Eagles have been fortunate the past couple of seasons by getting rid of Carson Wentz and finding a sucker team to suck draft capital out of while scoring on their own QB in the 2nd round. So I'm not personally mad at the Eagles for being successful, just bad timing for the Cowboys.

Long story short, I'm optimistic that the Cowboys can get to at least the NFC championship, yet would not be surprised if we don't. I don't really know what the odds are for getting past the Eagles or getting deep into the playoffs or Super Bowl. I just know I am getting close to the end of my ropes. I don't think I can recover from another playoff heartbreak. And yes I felt the same way during the end of the Tom Landry era and hopped right back in when the early 90s Cowboys broke the playoff futility streak and won a few SBs.

But you get to a certain age in life and you can no longer justify being miserable on Sundays or miserable each January. Feeling like you should have spent your Sundays doing more important things. That's kind of where I'm at.

When its time to hang the cleats up as a fan than I guess the fandom flame is burnt out.
I thought I could get that way, but Jerry has this old timer hanging around the barn still.
I want to see this roster succeed, every season.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

Hung it up March 28, 1994. I watch the team out of respect for what Clint Murchinson, Tex Schramm, Gil Brandt, Bob Ackles, John Wooten, and Jimmy Johnson built as the Dallas Cowboys "America's Team" and brought back as the Dallas Cowboys "America's Team". I respect the players of the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's that were the actual Dallas Cowboys.

But, since March 28, 1994 I no longer have season tickets traveling out of town to watch a Cowboys home game in Dallas/Irving/Arlington TX, I no longer go to Cowboys away game in the city where I live or close to where I live. I no longer buy Cowboys merchandise, no longer tape every game and new report to watch in the off season, I no longer rush home from visiting family on thanksgiving day to get home by 2:45PM CST, no longer leave church early to be home by 12PM, 3PM, 7PM CST., and no longer have my family come together every game to cheer for the Arlington Jonesboys.

So I come to this forum to vent about what a great NFL FOOTBALL franchise was taken away from real Dallas Cowboys fans by Jerry Dumbo GM Jones trying to push the Arlington Jonesboys done fans throat. I come on this forum to rebuke the lies, revisionist history, and false claims that what is now the Arlington Jonesboys are not the Dallas Cowboys.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Stop Watching Football !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOPE !

But seriously I've never thought about "Hanging Up My Cleats and Sunday afternoon, There is nothing more important to do (I take care of THAT Sunday morning)

I never felt like Super Bowl or bust, so I can't help you with that one. I look to the draft as seeing a glimpse of the future

So I a word............................. NOPE

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Hung it up March 28, 1994. I watch the team out of respect for what Clint Murchinson, Tex Schramm, Gil Brandt, Bob Ackles, John Wooten, and Jimmy Johnson built as the Dallas Cowboys "America's Team" and brought back as the Dallas Cowboys "America's Team". I respect the players of the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's that were the actual Dallas Cowboys.

But, since March 28, 1994 I no longer have season tickets traveling out of town to watch a Cowboys home game in Dallas/Irving/Arlington TX, I no longer go to Cowboys away game in the city where I live or close to where I live. I no longer buy Cowboys merchandise, no longer tape every game and new report to watch in the off season, I no longer rush home from visiting family on thanksgiving day to get home by 2:45PM CST, no longer leave church early to be home by 12PM, 3PM, 7PM CST., and no longer have my family come together every game to cheer for the Arlington Jonesboys.

So I come to this forum to vent about what a great NFL FOOTBALL franchise was taken away from real Dallas Cowboys fans by Jerry Dumbo GM Jones trying to push the Arlington Jonesboys done fans throat. I come on this forum to rebuke the lies, revisionist history, and false claims that what is now the Arlington Jonesboys are not the Dallas Cowboys.
Get Help !

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
But why is everything about the Eagles?

Teams in the NFC go from Super Bowl to not even making the playoffs

theres no doubt in my mind DALLAS CAN BEAT PHILLY they can beat them in a playoff game as well....

Yes the eagles went to a SB but odds are they crash back down to earth and go 10-7 or 9-8

and i'd never hang it up....unless they hired Jason Garrett back then i'd just stop watching football

I think we can take Philly too. I honestly wish we had beaten SFO last year. I think we'd have beaten Philly in the NFCC.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
As a fan that's 30, I know the Cowboys haven't been very successful on the field since I became a fan (should note, most of my family are Eagles fans, and I chose the Cowboys). However, for me, it's the legacy and the fact that I like the players. It's at a point, especially with my fursona and fursuit being so heavily influenced by the Cowboys, where it'd be awkward and off if I was to choose any other NFL team as my favourite team.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Get Help !
For what? No NFC Championship games in 27 years by the Arlington Jonesboys when the Dallas Cowboys went to 18 in 35 years (1960-1995).

Jonesboys fans need to get help expecting the Dallas Cowboys every year.

Reminds me of the 1967-1986 Saints fans that had an owner as GM and could not get a winning season and playoff game until a new owner hired a GM that was not the owner or his children.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Cowboys have always been my team, never had another, in the 53 years as a fan. My expectations have dwindled almost down to zero today but Ill still watch. After seeing all the championships and great playoff games ill admit I've been spoiled, which probably contributes to my apathy....plus not seeing an NFC Championship game appearance in 27 years has made me less enthusiastic. But I'll never hang them up, there still my team, and unlike most currently I have the memories.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
No NFC Championship games in 27 years by the Arlington Jonesboys when the Dallas Cowboys went to 18 in 35 years (1960-1995).

A pretty big thing happened in the early 90’s that ensured that kind of success will likely never be witnessed again.

Edit: Not defended the Jones’, just adding a little context.