Do you despise Jerry Jones?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
History and results is no SBs for 26 years, few really good seasons. So it's healthy to mire myself in misery?

:facepalm:
Not misery. Just lower expectations.

I used to travel to road games and I was so impressed with Diehard fans across the country like in Cleveland, Detroit and New Orleans.

Saint fans wore bags over their heads for 43 years. Brown and Lion fans still haven’t sniffed a SB and a championship since the 50’s. But they still follow and root their local team on. That’s what true diehard fandom is all about. Winning just makes it more fun.

Motorola

Reaction score
I don't hate Jerry jones. I hate who he's become. In his old age he is what Al Davis was in his old age. A stubborn old man still living off the good old days too proud to admit his errors.
Anyone remember how Al Davis treated Marcus Allen his last seasons as a Raider? That was really bizarre.

kskboys

Reaction score
Anyone remember how Al Davis treated Marcus Allen his last seasons as a Raider? That was really bizarre.
Allen would be top 10 in career rushing yards if not for Weird Al. He's 14th, BTW.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Me too. What opened my eyes more than anything was the 09 special teams draft. Don't know as I've ever seen such idiocy.

yup and if I needed a cherry on top, that All or nothing show on Prime, where he tells garret to step aside so he can address the team first after an embarrassing game vs Denver.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
I don’t despise him. I think he’s an interesting dude and I personally find the storyline of the Dallas Cowboys from 1989-1993 to be one of the most engrossing, fascinating team narratives in NFL history.

The main areas of my take on Jerry aren’t so different from most us. I do think he’s an egotistical, bombastic guy that can suck the air out a building, let alone a room, with his insatiable and immense desire for attention. I do think he trusts his opinion over other more qualified people too much. I do think he wants the bulk of the credit for any successful venture he’s involved.

With that said, I don’t think he’s an idiot. Far from it. I think one of the reasons Jones’ ego is so huge is because he feels like he’s the smartest person in the room most of the time and he’s probably right about that most of the time. Jerry Jones is very, very intelligent especially when you start talking about innate intuition and emotional intelligence like charisma. The man has been highly highly successful in some pretty cutthroat business environments.

I also don’t think he is a terrible GM. I wish he was an overtly terrible GM. He might step aside. As is, I think he’s an average GM. A mundane, boring, mediocre GM of average ability which in an indirect way speaks to Jones’ intelligence that he stepped into a football environment and has performed in this environment in an average capacity. Most people would have been swamped and overwhelmed and would have flamed out in spectacular fashion if they just walked off the street and tried to be an NFL GM. More so, Jones has more hardware than 90% of the GM’s who have ever been in the league which only fuels his ego because there is no planet in this universe where Jerry Jones isn’t going to take credit for three Lombardi trophies when he was the GM. So what we have here, imo, is a GM with average abilities holding hardware wildly out of alignment with his average abilities as a GM. Since Johnson quit and we won our last SB, the team has posted 199 wins with 187 losses (counting this year) with little to no postseason success. That’s average and decidedly better than many franchises in that time frame. This is why I say he’s average and also why I wish he stunk over and above being average. If we had the record of WSH under Snyder, I think Jerry’s competitive desire to win another SB might possibly override his ego and he’d step aside for a more qualified individual. As it is, being average with intermittent bouts of success since 1996 here and there, with the back drop of 3 Lombardi trophies that he is taking the bulk of the credit for, has left us with a GM of ordinary, middling, and second-rate talent coupled with an ego and immense personal confidence that won’t allow him to not believe he can get the job done.

So no. I don’t hate him. I see him for what he is and hope that Stephen is not the same man in intellect, charisma, and confidence that his father is and that he steps aside when the day comes that Jerry is no longer with us and brings in real football people that have been professionally developed and trained to run and coordinate an NFL franchise.

Last edited:

Trendnet

Reaction score
Curious to get other’s takes. In the beginning I loved Jerry Jones. He was brash. He hired Jimmy Johnson. He acted like he would do anything to win. Firing Jimmy was the beginning of my hate for the guy. He seemed like a complete narcissist. A string of bad hirings and the franchise was in the toilet. I started to feel better with the Parcells hiring. I thought Jerry may have learned his lesson and was back to being serious. We now know that was a publicity stunt to get his stadium built. His hubris really took off. I hated the Garrett hire. It made no sense. The guy hadn’t exhibited anything that would suggest he would be a great HC. Jerry jammed Garrett and his nonsense down fans throats for 10 years. I liked the McCarthy hire but he wouldn’t have been my first choice. I wanted a lunatic taskmaster like Meyer to shake this lazy culture up. Now it seems like the place is finally imploding. I pity Mike McCarthy. This is not his fault.

I do not differentiate between Jerry the GM and Jerry the owner. The are codependent and both suck. I also don’t buy the Jerry is a nice guy bit.

Count me in the I despise Jerry group.

Where are you guys?

Nah.

But that's because I'm not a petulant cry baby.

Big_D

Reaction score
He’s a POS. He ruined this team while crapping on the players and fans. Many wasted opportunities because of his never ending search for credit. I give him credit for killing this team... again!

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Curious to get other’s takes. In the beginning I loved Jerry Jones. He was brash. He hired Jimmy Johnson. He acted like he would do anything to win. Firing Jimmy was the beginning of my hate for the guy. He seemed like a complete narcissist. A string of bad hirings and the franchise was in the toilet. I started to feel better with the Parcells hiring. I thought Jerry may have learned his lesson and was back to being serious. We now know that was a publicity stunt to get his stadium built. His hubris really took off. I hated the Garrett hire. It made no sense. The guy hadn’t exhibited anything that would suggest he would be a great HC. Jerry jammed Garrett and his nonsense down fans throats for 10 years. I liked the McCarthy hire but he wouldn’t have been my first choice. I wanted a lunatic taskmaster like Meyer to shake this lazy culture up. Now it seems like the place is finally imploding. I pity Mike McCarthy. This is not his fault.

I do not differentiate between Jerry the GM and Jerry the owner. The are codependent and both suck. I also don’t buy the Jerry is a nice guy bit.

Where are you guys?

You loved Jerry this offseason
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/talk-about-overvaluing-your-own.455419/page-3

SSoup

Reaction score
Of course. Anyone who doesn't is suspect.

He bought a sports team and refused to take the basic first step EVERY major sports team takes of hiring a G.M., which is patently insane. He'd rather the team lose with his fingerprints all over it than let them win with someone else making the decisions. It's selfish and pitiful and, above all else, so stupid.

And he's a bad person. His handling of so many issues was fundamentally gross and inhuman. He's happy to get into bed and stay in bed with rapists and domestic abusers if he thinks he can benefit personally. We had a player kill a teammate and he kept the guy around. Remember the time Jerry got pulled over, and when he decided the cop was taking too long to write the ticket, so he sped away?

Anyways. He's a jerkoff. Absolute trash. He consorts with trash, he collects trash, he enables trash, he is trash. And when he dies and his family fully takes over the team and the spotlight intensifies on them, we'll probably find out he raised trash, too.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don’t despise him. I think he’s an interesting dude and I personally find the storyline of the Dallas Cowboys from 1989-1993 to be one of the most engrossing, fascinating team narratives in NFL history.

The main areas of my take on Jerry aren’t so different from most us. I do think he’s an egotistical, bombastic guy that can suck the air out a building, let alone a room, with his insatiable and immense desire for attention. I do think he trusts his opinion over other more qualified people too much. I do think he wants the bulk of the credit for any successful venture he’s involved.

With that said, I don’t think he’s an idiot. Far from it. I think one of the reasons Jones’ ego is so huge is because he feels like he’s the smartest person in the room most of the time and he’s probably right about that most of the time. Jerry Jones is very, very intelligent especially when you start talking about innate intuition and emotional intelligence like charisma. The man has been highly highly successful in some pretty cutthroat business environments.

I also don’t think he is a terrible GM. I wish he was an overtly terrible GM. He might step aside. As is, I think he’s an average GM. A mundane, boring, mediocre GM of average ability which in an indirect way speaks to Jones’ intelligence that he stepped into a football environment and has performed in this environment in an average capacity. Most people would have been swamped and overwhelmed and would have flamed out in spectacular fashion if they just walked off the street and tried to be an NFL GM. More so, Jones has more hardware than 90% of the GM’s who have ever been in the league which only fuels his ego because there is no planet in this universe where Jerry Jones isn’t going to take credit for three Lombardi trophies when he was the GM. So what we have here, imo, is a GM with average abilities holding hardware wildly out of alignment with his average abilities as a GM. Since Johnson quit and we won our last SB, the team has posted 199 wins with 187 losses (counting this year) with little to no postseason success. That’s average and decidedly better than many franchises in that time frame. This is why I say he’s average and also why I wish he stunk over and above being average. If we had the record of WSH under Snyder, I think Jerry’s competitive desire to win another SB might possibly override his ego and he’d step aside for a more qualified individual. As it is, being average with intermittent bouts of success since 1996 here and there, with the back drop of 3 Lombardi trophies that he is taking the bulk of the credit for, has left us with a GM of ordinary, middling, and second-rate talent coupled with an ego and immense personal confidence that won’t allow him to not believe he can get the job done.

So no. I don’t hate him. I see him for what he is and hope that Stephen is not the same man in intellect, charisma, and confidence that his father is and that he steps aside when the day comes that Jerry is no longer with us and brings in real football people that have been professionally developed and trained to run and coordinate an NFL franchise.
So, you're claiming that this statement is a smart way of thinking: "We don't need a good OL because we have a mobile QB."

Valkyr

Reaction score
Our only hope is when Stephen goes that Spaulding will actually hire a GM, but might be 30 years from now.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
I used to be a huge fan because of the passion the guy brought for winning. However over time we've seen who he's become. End of the day he's rich, he'll never have to work another day in his life. I think he sees the cowboys as challenge, to try and prove to himself he can win his way, and only his way.

He'd rather lose and potentially get all the credit, than win and have to share it. Which i never understood because with the patriots all they do is give bob kraft credit, and show him a million times a game.

kskboys

Reaction score
I used to be a huge fan because of the passion the guy brought for winning. However over time we've seen who he's become. End of the day he's rich, he'll never have to work another day in his life. I think he sees the cowboys as challenge, to try and prove to himself he can win his way, and only his way.

He'd rather lose and potentially get all the credit, than win and have to share it. Which i never understood because with the patriots all they do is give bob kraft credit, and show him a million times a game.
Jerry has zero passion for winning. His passion is all locked up in satisfying his sociopathic ego.

ItzKelz

Reaction score

Where are you guys?
3 rings......so nope