CZ POLL Do you prefer Dak Prescott or Cooper Rush as the Cowboys starting quarterback?

Do you prefer Dak Prescott or Cooper Rush as the Cowboys starting quarterback?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I’m just keeping it real about Cooper Rush. He’s been solid, hasn’t made mistakes but our offense has been average and we’re scoring half the points we did last season. Anyone who’s watched the Cowboys and understands the game knows we’re winning with defense. If we had the defense we had back in 2020 and the inconsistent Brett Maher we had a few years ago we would be 0-4 right now. That’s just telling it like it is!
Until we are in those situation with Rush and he fails then we don't know what he is and is not capable of doing.

It's all speculation. He might surprise everyone if their backs are against the wall.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I still believe Dak is more talented than Cooper Rush, but the gap isn't nearly as big as I'd like. The Chiefs without Mahomes or the Bills without Josh Allen look way different. Look at the Patriots since Brady left. Totally different teams. They go from contenders to pretenders overnight.

Rush steps in and the Cowboys don't look much different (let's stop acting like Dak's only game of his career was week one). They're beating up NFC East teams, they took advantage of the Bengals offensive line issues and knocked them off (let's not forget the Bengals also lost week one to Pittsburgh), and Rush has managed to put up at least 20 points in each game. The last time Dak faced the Giants, Dallas won 21-6. They beat them with Rush 23-16.

If I'm paying a guy $40 million there'd better be a major drop off when he's out and the journeyman back up, who has been cut twice, steps in. I haven't seen it, yet.

Dre11

Reaction score
In a 7 year span I’d hope he has a game here or there. My gosh you guys set the bar low.

Nearly all of Dak’s rookie success was from teams fearing Zeke and the OL being a juggernaut. Duh.

you're the one who claim he folds in those situations, I listed big moments, what other bigger moments do you have. since you opened your mouth?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
you're the one who claim he folds in those situations, I listed big moments, what other bigger moments do you have. since you opened your mouth?

Im making broad generalizations about an entire career I’m not talking about that 1 time in a galaxy far far away ya nerd.

Dre11

Reaction score
Im making broad generalizations about an entire career I’m not talking about that 1 time in a galaxy far far away ya nerd.

except I showed you more than 1 time, make your point with fact and not with just running your mouth. sounds like you just want to hear your low football IQ self talk.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
except I showed you more than 1 time, make your point with fact and not with just running your mouth. sounds like you just want to hear your low football IQ self talk.

Dre, you’re just one of those guys that posts with Pom Poms in hand. Can’t take your posts serious cause you’re a cheerleader.

Dre11

Reaction score
Dre, you’re just one of those guys that posts with Pom Poms in hand. Can’t take your posts serious cause you’re a cheerleader.

and you're one of those posters that whine and poses as fake evaluators. :lmao2:

erod

Reaction score
I prefer Cooper only because we already know what Dak is. A peaked and now declining QB who's lost his athleticism and is an injury waiting to happen. We know the limitations and how that story ends already.

But I also know that there's no way in Hades that Jerry and Stephen are going to have $89 million in salary sitting on the bench this year and next.

So, there's no discussion to have.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm taking Dak cause that's the guy we paid to do the job, I seriously hope he takes some pointers from Rush's play to date this year.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
I’m leaning towards Dak Only because we can’t afford to lose him mentally… Unless we want a $50 million back up quarterback next year

plasticman

Reaction score
The Cowboys started the Tampa Bay game with a field goal. Four of the next five drives are killed by penalties. Keep in mind that the starting WR's were Noah Brown, Ceedee and Dennis Houston. Then he loses his starting left tackle. Dak has to try and score with constant 1st and 20, 2nd and 15.

It is totally unfair to judge Dak by one game. This is a top ten quarterback that has never had a losing season as the primary starting quarterback, judge him by his entire body of work, let's not cherry pick.

What Rush has done for us is phenomenal. However, let's understand what he did for us. He allowed other facets of this team to win for us by not putting the team into a hole with bad plays and turnovers.

Dak will be, and should be, the starter when healthy.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I won't join you in discrediting what Rush is doing by giving all the credit to the defense. The defense is playing great, that is true, but Rush is doing a heck of a job, playing mistake free football, and leading nice long scoring drives when we need it.

I am happy with his play and once again, until we lose in a shoot out, or we get down 14-3 with Rush and he can't bring us out of it, then believeing he can or cannot lead us to a win in that type of game is just hearsay and speculation.
you know it really isnt fair to rush, because every qb loses games, or has a bad game, but if rush does have just ONE or loses ONE time, all the naysayers will
say see told you he wasnt up to it, just a bkup.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There are too many variables for a simple answer, for me anyways. I chose Rush simply because I believe that you go with the hot hand. I said the same when it was Dak playing lights out while Romo was getting ready. As soon as Dak lost, faltered or whatever….Romo should have went back in. Injury aside, if Romo got hurt again, Dak could have easily went back in since he gained quite a bit of experience. My same logic applies here. Let Rush continue until he hits a wall then get Dak back in there. I think it would be a mistake to start him in Philthy….unless Rush is terrible this Sunday.

These next two games will alter my choice even more. Win both then definitely stay with Cooper until this honeymoon ends. Lose both, then hopefully Dak is good to go. A split might even make it more difficult, depending on how the offense looks.

I do think Dak is still the best option(higher ceiling) at QB in the long run but I question his mental status right now. He really hasn’t had a good string of games since early/mid season of last year. I don’t know if the injury is in the back of his mind or mounting pressure or a combination of things. When he does return (and he will), a couple solid wins will go a long way to restore some confidence.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I still believe Dak is more talented than Cooper Rush, but the gap isn't nearly as big as I'd like. The Chiefs without Mahomes or the Bills without Josh Allen look way different. Look at the Patriots since Brady left. Totally different teams. They go from contenders to pretenders overnight.

Rush steps in and the Cowboys don't look much different (let's stop acting like Dak's only game of his career was week one). They're beating up NFC East teams, they took advantage of the Bengals offensive line issues and knocked them off (let's not forget the Bengals also lost week one to Pittsburgh), and Rush has managed to put up at least 20 points in each game. The last time Dak faced the Giants, Dallas won 21-6. They beat them with Rush 23-16.

If I'm paying a guy $40 million there'd better be a major drop off when he's out and the journeyman back up, who has been cut twice, steps in. I haven't seen it, yet.

Exactly............If Dak is giving me like a 7 level of play for $40 million and the backup making league min is giving me a 6 level of play.

That is a problem, a very big problem.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
There are too many variables for a simple answer, for me anyways. I chose Rush simply because I believe that you go with the hot hand. I said the same when it was Dak playing lights out while Romo was getting ready. As soon as Dak lost, faltered or whatever….Romo should have went back in. Injury aside, if Romo got hurt again, Dak could have easily went back in since he gained quite a bit of experience. My same logic applies here. Let Rush continue until he hits a wall then get Dak back in there. I think it would be a mistake to start him in Philthy….unless Rush is terrible this Sunday.

These next two games will alter my choice even more. Win both then definitely stay with Cooper until this honeymoon ends. Lose both, then hopefully Dak is good to go. A split might even make it more difficult, depending on how the offense looks.

I do think Dak is still the best option(higher ceiling) at QB in the long run but I question his mental status right now. He really hasn’t had a good string of games since early/mid season of last year. I don’t know if the injury is in the back of his mind or mounting pressure or a combination of things. When he does return (and he will), a couple solid wins will go a long way to restore some confidence.

Dak unfortunately is not the same QB he was pre-injury. After the dude snapped his ankle and the bone was sticking through the Skin, he almost never runs anymore. He strictly is a pocket passer now and that was fine when teams were blitzing left and right but then Denver happened and they were the first team to decide to play a disguised zone and not blitz and Dak could not adjust.

Ever since that Denver game Dak has never looked the same. He is strictly a pocket passer due to his injury and that is fine if you are Peyton Manning and can read defenses in your sleep. If you have a problem reading defenses like Dak apparently does, its not going to end well.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Exactly............If Dak is giving me like a 7 level of play for $40 million and the backup making league min is giving me a 6 level of play.

That is a problem, a very big problem.

Not trying to be smart*** really, but level 7 for 40 million what's it to you. It's not your money. When Jerry was low ballin him I don't remember you or anyone else on this mofo crying that Jerry was screwing him

So now he gets paid and you have a problem with him ? I would bet you've always had a problem with Dak. The fact that the guys gettin PAID gives you reason to voice it

JMO

zeke21

Reaction score
Dak will come back.. but if this 'quick poll' highlights anything.. it is that Dak is not the answer. We paid Dak as an elite QB.. 40M per season.. and right now he is in a battle with a guy that literally no one else wanted.. and we didn't even particularly want him.

Rush is not the long term solution.. far from it. In fact I kinda dislike Dak more for making me vote for Rush to be a starting QB in this league..

Dak is so bad.. and anyone expecting him to just 'step in' is deluded. The guy hasn't ever been elite.. and he has been getting worse every season. his last six starts have been really bad. No way he turns it around in a hurry.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hard to answer. If money were the same you probably go Dak but the real value is Rush. Rush has more unknowns. One of which is can he pass for 300+ yards if they need him too. Dak has done that but not vs good teams so its not impressive. Imagine rush with amari cooper and enough money to still add help to make a SB run. They wont do that now because they need the 20 million to roll into daks 50 million cap hit next year. Both these guys need elite defense and help from the offensive skill guys to look good.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
I have high regards for Cooper Rush. He has by far exceeded my expectations. And I do believe in the right environment he could be a starter in the NFL. He’s getting better each week as well. Doesn’t really make mistakes, proved last week he can throw the long ball on a straight line. There’s nothing super spectacular about any aspect of his game but there’s nothing bad about it either. He reads the pressure well, makes the right moves in the pocket when he needs to. Look at Tom Brady for example, not the most Athletic quarterback but he seems to step around in the pocket at just the right time. Cooper Rush does the same thing. Gets himself that extra second or two to throw the ball down field.
That said, Dak he’s going to be the starter as soon as he’s healthy whether any of us like it or not. Overall I think he gives us the best chance to win down the stretch going into the playoffs. Dak has issues with his gameplay overall and he’s not perfect but I do believe he’s better than Cooper Rush.
CRush reminds me of chad pennington he’s a good not great qb that needs good defense. dak has ability to do special things but he lacks the simple things sometimes. love him but reading a defense is not his strong suit. give him designated rollout and routes on a side of the field he’s lights out. keep him in pocket and force him to read whole field fast is not his strong suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.