Do you think the Cowboys should look to lock up Gallup?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
They gotta pick between Gallup and Cooper.

This thread is just behind "Is Dak Over-rated?" in most pointless discussions.

As you say we pick between Gallup and Cooper. We dont have (or need) to make this decision now, do it in 2022 which is in essence a contract year for both players. Cooper can be easily cut/traded in 2022 without seriously damaging the CAP.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The Cowboys have $232 million in active CAP spending for 2022 as of today, according to over the CAP. That is $24 million higher than the max CAP limit per the NFL and NFLPA agreement for 2022.

Yep, we can keep restructuring, but at some point we'll have to start making some harsh decisions. If the Defense doesnt dramatically improve in 2022 we'll have to accept that we cant afford ploughing money into the Offense whilst hoping that cheap injury projects and lower round draftee's can turn this into a Championship team.

Flamma

Reaction score
The Cowboys have $232 million in active CAP spending for 2022 as of today, according to over the CAP. That is $24 million higher than the max CAP limit per the NFL and NFLPA agreement for 2022.

We pretty much know Dak will have an 18M cap hit next year, not 33M. Of course this isn't a guarantee, but the way his contract was structured points to that very thing happening. So that's 15 million right there. But even still, Dallas isn't going to have the room to start signing higher paid players unless they go on a restructure spree. A lot of that will depend on what they foresee the 2023 cap to be. Because Dak won't be cap friendly that year. So we have to hope the cap takes a nice jump.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Right. And that's because the cap is something like $20m below where it was projected to be.

Without COVID, the cap would have approached $250M in 2022.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Lockup Gallup...what, he hit a woman and went to Cabo without a mask.:)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If the cowboys suck right out the gate, Gallup will be shopped just before the trade deadline. Besides, Amari can do anything that Gallup can do, but Gallup does not have the foot work and quickness out of the break like Amari. We have one big contract WR, we shouldn't try to afford 2. But then again, Jerry loves shiny toys to play with.

This isn't true. Cooper doesn't go up and fight for 50/50 balls or contested catches like Gallup does. That's just not true, the statement that says Cooper can do anything Gallup can do.

jnday

Reaction score
They can renegotiate Coopers contract, or restructure it more likely to lessen the impact of the cap hit. And therefore have money to keep Gallup.

Still not sure why so many think we have to keep one or the other. Especially now, just wait until the end of this season to be concerned over it.
That restructuring has got the team in cap hell now. Many fans denies cap hell existing until the team can’t afford decent free agents and they have to settle for dumpster diving to fill holes on the roster. With that being said, I think most fans that wants to move on from Cooper are looking at his cap hit and the savings that would come from letting him go and keeping Gallup. Gallup should be much cheaper and offer good production compared to Cooper.

jnday

Reaction score
A lot of regurgitation in there but the bottom line is this. Ceedee is more than a slot and the easy way to tell is by checking his WR log. He rotated outside a lot, Beasley rarely if ever ventured out there. Even with Ceedee being slim, he has tape that proves he can make plays as an X or Z, Bease on the other hand does not. Just being that good in the slot and being able to move around alone makes him a more than slot upgrade over Cole.

Secondly, drafts aren’t operated in a vacuum. Saying we should’ve gone for defense without having a specific player or plan you would do instead is pointless. We picked Lamb not because we just wanted to replace Cole, he was

1. The absolute best player on the board.

2. Under Moore/McCarthy, we run a lot of 11 personnel meaning 3 wide receivers are starters. Technically picking a starter wouldn’t really be a luxury pick, ESPECIALLY when there’s no other clear starters anywhere else in the spots you’re picking.

3. There was literally no better option. I already outlined the lack of defensive talent where we were picking as well as the underwhelming career of Chaisson so far. There was no better option, simple as that. Drafts are dictated by the talent available, you don’t just wish for a defender and get one that has proper value appear.

The funniest thing is any poster who says we shouldn’t have taken Lamb never has a real alternative for selecting someone else. You all just say “he shouldn’t have been picked” without any real other option. Wanna know why? Because to this point no other defender graded there has proven to be worth half what Lamb was.

Imagine if we had picked Chaisson and he’d underperformed as he has so far. We wouldn’t be any better as a team. At least with Lamb we went have the capability to be a juggernaut on offense.
Dallas was going to pick Chaisson. That was their guy, no doubt about it. Lamb was too good of a prospect to pass. Chaisson’s play should stop any debate about picking Lamb dead in it’s tracks. Chaisson has been horrible, so horrible that he struggles to get on the field. Yep, Dallas missed drafting a bust and we all should be thankful that Lamb was available.

Jipper

Reaction score
one of him or cooper is gone after this year, either by trade in coopers case or in gallops case release or trade...

The cowboys would likely net a 4th round compensatory pick for gallop, maybe a 3rd if its a crazy deal....so depending on how the 4-6 recievers mature, i think you have to strongly listen to any trades that net you a 3rd or better for gallop.

I am not advocating trading gallop, esp if our other recievers cant make up for the loss of talent to some degree, but i do think this team has to be smart here and work through different scenarios.

Creeper

Reaction score
We pretty much know Dak will have an 18M cap hit next year, not 33M. Of course this isn't a guarantee, but the way his contract was structured points to that very thing happening. So that's 15 million right there. But even still, Dallas isn't going to have the room to start signing higher paid players unless they go on a restructure spree. A lot of that will depend on what they foresee the 2023 cap to be. Because Dak won't be cap friendly that year. So we have to hope the cap takes a nice jump.

I get it. They can restructure Dak and Amari and save as much as $30 million depending on how aggressive they want to be. That gives them almost enough to sign the drafted rookies. There is no money to sign free agents or retain all of the Cowboys players. This is what I call CAP jail. It is basically fielding a team they gets them under the CAP but some players will have to go. I think this will be the case in 2022 and 2023. I also think they try to expend Dak in 2024 but we'll have to see what kind of money he wants then.

Flamma

Reaction score
I get it. They can restructure Dak and Amari and save as much as $30 million depending on how aggressive they want to be. That gives them almost enough to sign the drafted rookies. There is no money to sign free agents or retain all of the Cowboys players. This is what I call CAP jail. It is basically fielding a team they gets them under the CAP but some players will have to go. I think this will be the case in 2022 and 2023. I also think they try to expend Dak in 2024 but we'll have to see what kind of money he wants then.

Yes. This is why I am skeptical about our 2022 season. But 2023 the cap should go up quite a bit. But if Dak gets extended in 2023 that will lower his cap hit yet again. Unless Dak craps himself, the contract was meant to keep him long term. But I don't see any big signings in 2022. Not without extending players we may not want to extend.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We’ll see. I could be wrong and they ultimately keep two of them. But I think there’s a connection between drafting Fehoko and interest in undrafted receivers and the future receiver costs and free agents. I expect to see a lot of changes in the wide receiver group.
Day 3 picks really dont factor into anything until they prove they belong

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
From my perspective, if you trade Cooper after the season, you can sign Gallup for cheaper AND get a really nice day 2 pick out of it.

draft a defenseman with starter potential in the second round, and then instead of a 6m$ defensive player in FA, you can now sign a much better 10m$ player with the WR contract difference. Multiple defensive upgrades and you still keep your home grown, younger, less injury-prone WR. Or you could even just draft another WR with hopes to repeat the process in 4 years time.
Alot depends on Lamb as far as what you do with the other two. Is he going to be a legit #1, or more of a #2? Cooper will likely redo his deal after the season when his guarenteed $ is up. When he does his AVV will go down. If the FA market rebounds, it could even be lower than Gallups (but unlikely).

As far as your point, the flexibility in Coopers contract will make him a trade asset after the season

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Day 3 picks really dont factor into anything until they prove they belong

You can choose to see it that way.

But the fact is that neither the Cowboys nor any team in the league can afford to pay three receivers big money. The cap is truly the biggest factor here.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You can choose to see it that way.

But the fact is that neither the Cowboys nor any team in the league can afford to pay three receivers big money. The cap is truly the biggest factor here.
I doubt they pay 3 WR's big money, but I doubt they let go of both Cooper and Gallup even more

817Gill

Reaction score
Dallas was going to pick Chaisson. That was their guy, no doubt about it. Lamb was too good of a prospect to pass. Chaisson’s play should stop any debate about picking Lamb dead in it’s tracks. Chaisson has been horrible, so horrible that he struggles to get on the field. Yep, Dallas missed drafting a bust and we all should be thankful that Lamb was available.
Exactly. Totally get wanting to go defense but not at the cost of picking a project over a blue chipper. It’s not like there was a similar caliber defensive player available there.