Do you think the Cowboys should look to lock up Gallup?

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I think they should look for a trade partner and deploy the resource toward a position group in need of upgrade.

Verdict

Reaction score
watch many games? , easy example game 1 last year Jalen ramsey on who?? Gallup caught a 40 yard pass on him and got lame call that called that back and we lost the game over it..he beat JS 1 on 1 arguably top 1-3 CB in the league in game on the line situation and caught it!! he makes tough catches no matter whos on him..sure hes not elite #1 but a very slid 1 he can be..
Bears wished thy had guy as 1 let alone a 3 in Gallup..wasnt a few of those last drive to set up the GW FG all Gallup against ny the game dak got hurt and those were from Dalton!!

ACs age and dollars and some injury issues say hes the odd ma out..ill wait and see lie i hpe Jones does and let that be worked out in the field this year..
First, I watch every Cowboys game and have season tickets. I often watch games a second time so that I can see what I might have missed the first time around, which tends to be a considerable amount, because the first time you tend to be more interested in the result than individual performances.

Secondly, this seems to be a very peculiar response to my post. It makes me wonder if you even read my post, or attached your reply to the wrong post. If so, it happens to the best of us.

If you actually read my post, and take issue with it in some respect, well, I give up on having a rational conversation with you.

Verdict

Reaction score
They gotta pick between Gallup and Cooper.
Well, technically they don’t HAVE TO, but what they do HAVE to do is stay within the salary cap. So you would expect the salary cap to factor into the Cowboys’ decision making process to some degree.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think this team needs 3 receivers.....its the only strength they have until proven otherwise.

Players who should remain on the field: Cooper, Lamb, Zeke
Players to fill final 2 skill positions: Gallup, Jarwin, Schultz, Pollard, CWilson

I don't see Gallup even getting starting snaps anymore. He's the 3rd WR, and a part timer. He's better than Wilson, but we have a lot of options besides running 3 WR all day, and Wilson often looks pretty good.

We have lots of quality options at skill positions. Next to nothing at DT and FS. Yeah, WR is a strength. It would still be a strength w/o Gallup. DT and FS are glaring weaknesses.

817Gill

Reaction score
Yes, it absolutely does. That's called stop gap, that's not called replacement. Lamb may be more then a slot WR but I wasn't the one who called him that so that's really not a point to me, for me. That should be addressed with whomever classified him as such. BTW, there is no proof, at this point that he can be anything more either. He hasn't done that in the NFL as yet. His limitations, coming out, were his size. He's thin for a WR in the NFL so until he puts on enough weight or muscle, he's likely going to be a slot guy or possibly spend time injured.

You don't get the whole number 1 thing because you aren't paying attention to what is being said. See, nobody is questioning him being taken in the first round. What's being questioned is why, when we obviously need help in other areas, are we spending a #1 pick on a slot WR guy. That's what's being questioned and that's a valid question. If you don't understand that, then I can't help you because it means that you don't want to understand it. I'm sure that's not the case here so I will simply say that it's not that I don't like Lamb. I just don't view the approach as success. You shouldn't have to go out and spend a #1 pick on a WR at all. We should have managed the situation better so that we were able to draft somebody who could play the slot with a lower pick, signed Gallup and Coop and been good. Instead, we spent a 1st on another WR which might force us to have to move one of the other guys. That's not fixing the problem. That's creating a problem and at the end of the day, if Lamb does beomce a number one or two, we still have a whole in the slot so Beasley is still not replaced.

That's a fail.
A lot of regurgitation in there but the bottom line is this. Ceedee is more than a slot and the easy way to tell is by checking his WR log. He rotated outside a lot, Beasley rarely if ever ventured out there. Even with Ceedee being slim, he has tape that proves he can make plays as an X or Z, Bease on the other hand does not. Just being that good in the slot and being able to move around alone makes him a more than slot upgrade over Cole.

Secondly, drafts aren’t operated in a vacuum. Saying we should’ve gone for defense without having a specific player or plan you would do instead is pointless. We picked Lamb not because we just wanted to replace Cole, he was

1. The absolute best player on the board.

2. Under Moore/McCarthy, we run a lot of 11 personnel meaning 3 wide receivers are starters. Technically picking a starter wouldn’t really be a luxury pick, ESPECIALLY when there’s no other clear starters anywhere else in the spots you’re picking.

3. There was literally no better option. I already outlined the lack of defensive talent where we were picking as well as the underwhelming career of Chaisson so far. There was no better option, simple as that. Drafts are dictated by the talent available, you don’t just wish for a defender and get one that has proper value appear.

The funniest thing is any poster who says we shouldn’t have taken Lamb never has a real alternative for selecting someone else. You all just say “he shouldn’t have been picked” without any real other option. Wanna know why? Because to this point no other defender graded there has proven to be worth half what Lamb was.

Imagine if we had picked Chaisson and he’d underperformed as he has so far. We wouldn’t be any better as a team. At least with Lamb we went have the capability to be a juggernaut on offense.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Players who should remain on the field: Cooper, Lamb, Zeke
Players to fill final 2 skill positions: Gallup, Jarwin, Schultz, Pollard, CWilson

I don't see Gallup even getting starting snaps anymore. He's the 3rd WR, and a part timer. He's better than Wilson, but we have a lot of options besides running 3 WR all day, and Wilson often looks pretty good.

We have lots of quality options at skill positions. Next to nothing at DT and FS. Yeah, WR is a strength. It would still be a strength w/o Gallup. DT and FS are glaring weaknesses.

I'd go 3 receiver sets before I forced Schultz or Jarwin out there. I'd put Cooper or Lamb in the slot and just let them work.

T-RO

Reaction score
Last edited:

T-RO

Reaction score
I'd go 3 receiver sets before I forced Schultz or Jarwin out there. I'd put Cooper or Lamb in the slot and just let them work.

5 lineman
1 QB
1 RB
3 WR
1 TE

This "11" personnel is the most common lineup in NFL offenses today. 3 WR's usually don't push a tight end off the field.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
5 lineman
1 QB
1 RB
3 WR
1 TE

This "11" personnel is the most common lineup in NFL offenses today. 3 WR's usually don't push a tight end off the field.
I would lol....I mean of course you can't run this all game but if its 3rd down and I need a 1st down.....Cooper, Zeke, Gallup, Pollard and Lamb are who I want out there.

T-RO

Reaction score
I would lol....I mean of course you can't run this all game but if its 3rd down and I need a 1st down.....Cooper, Zeke, Gallup, Pollard and Lamb are who I want out there.

That might be an interesting thing to roll out now and again, but most teams go the other way far more often, bringing in two tight ends. Two RBs is very uncommon.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That might be an interesting thing to roll out now and again, but most teams go the other way far more often, bringing in two tight ends. Two RBs is very uncommon.
IT is....but they did say they are going to have more looks with Pollard out there....may be nothing more than jet sweeps but you never know....

Aven8

Reaction score
Absolutely not. He’s a fly route runner. You can’t pay everyone.

Creeper

Reaction score
You do realize that the cap is something like $20m short of where it was projected to be this year right?

Any cap issues the Cowboys have today are 100% related to COVID. They were in great shape.

The Cowboys have $232 million in active CAP spending for 2022 as of today, according to over the CAP. That is $24 million higher than the max CAP limit per the NFL and NFLPA agreement for 2022.

T-RO

Reaction score
IT is....but they did say they are going to have more looks with Pollard out there....may be nothing more than jet sweeps but you never know....

Well you are an original. Not once in the history of the NFL have we seen 3 wide receivers on the field, and a jet sweep run not with one of them, but with a running back. Can't think we're going to see that soon, but who knows, maybe you are on to something.

As for getting Pollard on the field often... I do like that.

plasticman

Reaction score
They should definitely bust up the best trio of WR's in the league by trading him now.

This should accelerate the injury issues to the WR squad just in time for the opening game. With that out of the way early, the team could then concentrate on finding a future average receiver among the backups while attempting to recover from the inevitable slump in offensive production.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

I've always wanted to see Pollard used as a WR/RB hybrid *with* Zeke on the field. We should be a multi runthreat offense. Zeke, Pollard, Lamb, Dak. Cooper and Jarwin. Pollard gives a motion run threat opposite Zeke, *and* has the speed to take defenders deep.

The oline is healthy. I like letting them lean on offenses with run after run, the run game would be better if it's not all through Zeke.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At the trade deadline send Cooper for a nice draft pick and lock up Gallup