Does anyone seriously think Jerry is a Football Guy

kskboys

Reaction score
You don’t think this team has been a good judge of talent? I can blame a bunch of stuff on Jerry. Building a roster with good talent hasn’t been one of those things.
A talented roster w/ gaping holes that rear their head come playoff time, holes that could've been filled instead of drafting projects, injured players, and unneeded players in the first 4 rounds.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Howie Roseman Philly John Lynch SF Joe Schoen Giants Joe Douglas Jets these are guys who run football teams , scouting depts and yes you get results or you’re canned simple .

Jerry is the “ face “ of the Cowboys he goes to the senior bowl with cap & whistle it’s cute sure that’s it . Let’s not kid anyone who thinks differently , Jerry is the PR version . Has the radio show which I wouldn’t spend 2 mins listening to . McClay and the nuts & bolts make suggestions Jerry signs off makes the draft night phone call .

Want a “ football guy “ I give you Brad Holmes took over pure garbage from the previous regime , went out hired Dan Campbell drafted the likes of Sewell Hutchinson to control the lines , now the Lions are challenging SF and Lynch for NFC kingdom .
He’s a football guy, no doubt. Played all the way up to his senior year in college and went to a national championship. But that doesn’t mean he’s a great general manager. I think Jerry is a great salesman, drinking buddy and marketing guru, but that’s where I will stop.

kskboys

Reaction score
He’s a football guy, no doubt. Played all the way up to his senior year in college and went to a national championship. But that doesn’t mean he’s a great general manager. I think Jerry is a great salesman, drinking buddy and marketing guru, but that’s where I will stop.
No, he's not a football guy. A football guy understands the nuances of the game, he knows what lateral agility, bursts, and instincts are and how they affect a player's success. Jerry does not know.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Jerry is a snake oil salesmen who rode Jimmy's coattails and Landry's legacy to glory.

He knows how to keep the Cowboys in the headlines and the stadium and star are amazing but I really doubt I will ever see the Cowboys win another Super Bowl.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
It all comes down to injuries. They aren't getting caught short at linebacker this year
Every team deals with players‘ injuries in the course of a season. It comes down to preparation. Jerry’s job, in addition to shooting his ignorant mouth off, is to provide the coaching staff a roster able to overcome the inevitable injuries. You have no idea how well the Cowboys’ linebackers are going to perform this season. Like fans of the other 31 teams optimism runs high in mid-August. The linebackers look average, at best. Everyone hopes at this time of year. Most are more realistic about the team than you are. Have at it, though, buy another logo key chain.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
He will tell you that too. He owns a football team...and a boat.

HOF GM, baby! What you talking bout, Willis? The best in the business.
“and a boat”! So in addition to being a football guy he’s a navigator. Because how owns a football team and once played for Arkansas when Cleopatra still ruled Egypt, he a football guy. And he owns a boat so he’s mfing Christopher Columbus, too.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Jerry knows his time on this earth is not many seasons long.
I think Jerry is listening to FOOTBALL PEOPLE not named Jones.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
There have been probably over 100,000 college football players the last 70 years. Probably a lot more than that. Less than 0.01% ended up being "football guys".

cowboyed

Reaction score
How does Arkansas Razorback 60 yrs ago get you to the NFCCG
No need to deflect. How does Jerry having been an offensive lineman and co-captain of a national championship college team not make him a football guy? In the context of being a player it certainly does and I did point out I didn't think he was and is a good GM.

kskboys

Reaction score
No need to deflect. How does Jerry having been an offensive lineman and co-captain of a national championship college team not make him a football guy? In the context of being a player it certainly does and I did point out I didn't think he was and is a good GM.
Man, you must have never played sports. I played w/ many guys in baseball who were not baseball guys. Many of them were really good, but being a baseball/football guy entails a lot more than just playing.

I seriously think many of you are simply misdefining what a "football guy" is.

And no, playing a sport in college does not make you a guru of that sport.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Man, you must have never played sports. I played w/ many guys in baseball who were not baseball guys. Many of them were really good, but being a baseball/football guy entails a lot more than just playing.

Exactamundo

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
You don’t think this team has been a good judge of talent? I can blame a bunch of stuff on Jerry. Building a roster with good talent hasn’t been one of those things.
The point of my statements was that Jerry is no expert when it comes to being a judge of talent. That honor is reserved for Will McClay. He's the one making the talent evaluations and he passes it on to Jerry. If you prefer to credit Jerry for following Will McClay's advice -- sure, be my guest.

Last edited:

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Less than 0.01% of college football players go on to GM a team, or even get hired on coaching staffs.

He's not a "football guy" at all. In fact, Jerry's last 28 years proves he's an "anti-football guy".

If a person is a great Street Fighter player, even winning world titles, is he ready to code the next great Street Fighter game?

Cowboys5217

Reaction score

What's more is that a great many "football guys" never played the sport at a high level, or even at all.