Does anyone seriously think Jerry is a Football Guy

HungryLion

Reaction score
Jerry is definitely a football guy.

He played on a national championship college team. That makes him more personally experienced on playing the game at a high level than 99.9% of the population.

That being said. Just because he is a “football guy” doesn’t mean he’s a good GM. He isn’t a good GM. If he was, he would have won a championship in the last 29 seasons.

RonWashington

Reaction score
No need to deflect. How does Jerry having been an offensive lineman and co-captain of a national championship college team not make him a football guy? In the context of being a player it certainly does and I did point out I didn't think he was and is a good GM.

When I titled the thread “ football guy “ I assumed people wouldn’t go back 60 yrs to Frank Broyles . Football guy as in GM as in your fired for the lack of playoff success .

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
So according to you, only coaches are football guys. What the hell are you and me doing here talking about football for if the only football guys are ones that are coaches. Lame argument bruh.
Football Guys are the ones that live and breathe football, they put in the hours studying the game, the players and develop strategies. Football for them, is not a side gig, it's their way of life, it's not something you do in between other deals or spare time. You and me here talking about football doesn't make us "Football Guys", just guys that like football.

coult44

Reaction score
The point of my statements was that Jerry is no expert when it comes to being a judge of talent. That honor is reserved for Will McClay. He's the one making the talent evaluations and he passes it on to Jerry. If you prefer to credit Jerry for following Will McClay's advice -- sure, be my guest.
This whole thing is about being a football guy. There are more than scouts and coaches that are foot guys

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Not sure of what your definition of a “Football Guy” is, but Jerry was co-captain of Arkansas 1964 National Championship game as an offensive lineman. Throughout his time in the NFL he’s learned from so many of the greats that he’s certainly learned even more. So IMO, he’s a football guy more than most here. His only problem is he’s convinced his way is the right way.
While Jerry is negotiating stadium lease deals with Victorias Secret p
Not sure of what your definition of a “Football Guy” is, but Jerry was co-captain of Arkansas 1964 National Championship game as an offensive lineman. Throughout his time in the NFL he’s learned from so many of the greats that he’s certainly learned even more. So IMO, he’s a football guy more than most here. His only problem is he’s convinced his way is the right way.
While Jerry negotiates a Victoria’s Secret Pink stadium lease Howey Rosman is scouting tight ends at Drexel.

That’s my definition of a football guy as compared to a businessman.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
While Jerry is negotiating stadium lease deals with Victorias Secret p

While Jerry negotiates a Victoria’s Secret Pink stadium lease Howey Rosman is scouting tight ends at Drexel.

That’s my definition of a football guy as compared to a businessman.
Good for you.

kskboys

Reaction score
Jerry is definitely a football guy.

He played on a national championship college team. That makes him more personally experienced on playing the game at a high level than 99.9% of the population.

That being said. Just because he is a “football guy” doesn’t mean he’s a good GM. He isn’t a good GM. If he was, he would have won a championship in the last 29 seasons.
Jerry is definitely not a football guy, and you'd have to ignore a ton of data ton think that he is. Hey, maybe you drink a lot.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
Jerry Jones' role model and person that he most admired and respected in the NFL was the Late Owner of the Oakland / Los Angeles Raiders Al Davis. Jerry idolized Al because he was a "maverick" who went against the grain and did things his way. Al Davis wasn't a typical owner by any means, this guy was a former Head Coach and former AFL Commissioner; Every day of his entire adult life he lived and loved football.. This guy ate, slept, and breathed football until the day he died. Jerry is a very good businessman, some would say he's a great owner, but in no way is he a FOOTBALL GUY.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Jerry is definitely not a football guy, and you'd have to ignore a ton of data ton think that he is. Hey, maybe you drink a lot.
Well ksk, given that the term “football guy” is a subjective term with no real clear definition. I would say there’s actually zero data that proves he isn’t. Just data that makes you have a different opinion about what constitutes a football guy.

but thanks for the insult anyway.

I would also argue and did argue in my post. That being football guy does not make somebody a good GM.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Jerry is a football guy.
He played on a top 10 collegiate team and has been associated with the game much of his life.

BUT he is not a personnel guy nor is he a Coach.
He's essentially Roger Staubach level. He's a businessman that loves football. Turned his passion into profit.
It is unfortunate he can't shut up.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I would change it slightly to say his problem is he's too much of a business guy to be the GM. The business interest takes precedence over the X&O's when push comes to shove.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At this point Jerry is as much or more a "football guy" as many NFL GM's. Like Jerry, most didn't play pro football, and most haven't been on the job or involved in the NFL as long. Jerry just isn't particularly good at the job.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
This whole thing is about being a football guy. There are more than scouts and coaches that are foot guys
For all I know, you might be one of them, yourself . . . I've got my doubts about Jerry and Stephen, though.