Does Trey Lance have a future at QB? Maybe, but think he legit could compete for RB1 in Oxnard

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
... if given that opportunity.

Which he won't be, because he'll be getting QB snaps. I get it.

When I watch this kid play snap after snap after snap on YouTube... all of his NDSU plays, all of his 49ers plays... I come away believing it's arguable that he could be someone's QB#1 after giving some time to mature and develop.

Maybe.

Not a big fan of his throwing motion--seems a little loose, though no one's asked me to be their HS QB coach, let alone an NFL one, so what do I know. Seems to have some long ball touch, actually, yet on shorter throws, a common theme seems to be that he's not precise consistently, and his receivers too often have to adjust to his passes in a way that limits their YAC. Will be interesting to see where his strengths and weaknesses lie after this preseason.

But in a parallel universe where Trey Lance is given the chance to be #1 RB in DAL?

I'm not going to say he absolutely would win that camp position battle, but I'm definitely persuaded he's make it a real contest. Nah, he's not going to break ankles the way that Pollard could, and probably not even to the degree that Rico can. But he's got two things, nay three, going for him:

(1) He may not make defenders miss by grasping for air, but he has that same skill that Emmitt had, that he has just a little bit of instinctive wiggle that regularly keeps defenders from hitting him square, and so they end up able to make some contact, but routinely bounce off.

(2) Even if you get your hands on him, he's just damn tough to bring down unless you've got help.

(3) If he's allowed to get to fifth gear with open field in front of him, you better hope you have a CB that has angle so he can run him down... but otherwise forget it... he's one of the fastest in the NFL

Just my opinion, but an informed one, having spent a lot of time over the last couple of days watching the tape.
Running as a QB and as a RB are very different things. As a RB it's not scrambling away from pressure when dropping back to pass, or run/pass options, or misdirection plays, rollouts etc.. it includes pounding the ball up the middle, catching passes, blocking for the QB etc ...

Chasing6

Reaction score
Running as a QB and as a RB are very different things. As a RB it's not scrambling away from pressure when dropping back to pass, or run/pass options, or misdirection plays, rollouts etc.. it includes pounding the ball up the middle, catching passes, blocking for the QB etc ...
Crazy that, that needs to be explained.

Niners had to build an offense for Trance that was basically 50/50 with him running and passing. They lacked confidence in his ability to throw, so the built a running offense for him. Resulting in injuries and not a realistic sustainable plan.

conner01

Reaction score

When I watch this kid play snap after snap after snap on YouTube... all of his NDSU plays, all of his 49ers plays... I come away believing it's arguable that he could be someone's QB#1 after giving some time to mature and develop.

Maybe.

Not a big fan of his throwing motion--seems a little loose, though no one's asked me to be their HS QB coach, let alone an NFL one, so what do I know. Seems to have some long ball touch, actually, yet on shorter throws, a common theme seems to be that he's not precise consistently, and his receivers too often have to adjust to his passes in a way that limits their YAC. Will be interesting to see where his strengths and weaknesses lie after this preseason.

But in a parallel universe where Trey Lance is given the chance to be #1 RB in DAL?

I'm not going to say he absolutely would win that camp position battle, but I'm definitely persuaded he's make it a real contest. Nah, he's not going to break ankles the way that Pollard could, and probably not even to the degree that Rico can. But he's got two things, nay three, going for him:

(1) He may not make defenders miss by grasping for air, but he has that same skill that Emmitt had, that he has just a little bit of instinctive wiggle that regularly keeps defenders from hitting him square, and so they end up able to make some contact, but routinely bounce off.

(2) Even if you get your hands on him, he's just damn tough to bring down unless you've got help.

(3) If he's allowed to get to fifth gear with open field in front of him, you better hope you have a CB that has angle so he can run him down... but otherwise forget it... he's one of the fastest in the NFL

Just my opinion, but an informed one, having spent a lot of time over the last couple of days watching the tape.
He’s not fast. Runs upright and gets injured a lot. But why would he even entertain the idea? The 49ers thought so much of him they gave 3 top picks. He has raw talent and when he walks next year some team is gonna give him another shot at QB

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Assuming you didn't bother to look this up, I'll help ya...........now what do you think? (LOL)

TIL Trey Lance's 40 yard dash for ESPN's college combine was 4.92 seconds

To be fair he was hurt when he logged that time.. But then again he is almost always hurt. Missed a ton of time in college and then continued that pattern in the pros until he got Wally Pipped by Purdy in San Francisco. He may actually be faster than 4.9 but he never really showed it in the pros that I can recall. What he DID show was that he is fragile. A guy who can't stay healthy getting tackled 3-4 times a game sure as hell isn't going to hold up getting tackled 20-25 times a week.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crazy that, that needs to be explained.

Niners had to build an offense for Trance that was basically 50/50 with him running and passing. They lacked confidence in his ability to throw, so the built a running offense for him. Resulting in injuries and not a realistic sustainable plan.
I'm glad you blame the niners organization for screwing up Trey's career. GREAT CALL! You might be coming around.

As we get closer to Trey taking over...I don;t blame ya!:laugh:

Chasing6

Reaction score
I'm glad you blame the niners organization for screwing up Trey's career. GREAT CALL! You might be coming around.

As we get closer to Trey taking over...I don;t blame ya!:laugh:
Sorry you could not read correctly. He never had a career. :muttley:

Chasing6

Reaction score
To be fair he was hurt when he logged that time.. But then again he is almost always hurt. Missed a ton of time in college and then continued that pattern in the pros until he got Wally Pipped by Purdy in San Francisco. He may actually be faster than 4.9 but he never really showed it in the pros that I can recall. What he DID show was that he is fragile. A guy who can't stay healthy getting tackled 3-4 times a game sure as hell isn't going to hold up getting tackled 20-25 times a week.
We'll win a QB runs 50 times and throws 53 times, he his going to take some hits.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
When did he run that time? Because he didn't run at the combine or pro day.

kskboys

Reaction score
I apologize for the insult. I seemed like you were attacking me. Maybe I jumped the gun.

I will look for the article that explains why the NFL decided to go to 17 games and reduce a preseason games.
Apology returned. Moving on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
When did he run that time? Because he didn't run at the combine or pro day.
I don't have it handy but I read an article about his running a 40 . maybe it was JUST for scouts.. I don't know. I'm sure Google has it but it doesn't really matter anyway.. I don't think he is that (4.9) slow but I don't think he's holding his own in a footrace with Lamar Jackson either. There was a lot of chatter in 49er-land about how he just never looked that fast on the field. "Disappointingly slow footed" was a phrased that got thrown around a lot.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Maybe.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I don't have it handy but I read an article about his running a 40 . maybe it was JUST for scouts.. I don't know. I'm sure Google has it but it doesn't really matter anyway.. I don't think he is that (4.9) slow but I don't think he's holding his own in a footrace with Lamar Jackson either. There was a lot of chatter in 49er-land about how he just never looked that fast on the field. "Disappointingly slow footed" was a phrased that got thrown around a lot.
2024-07-06_16-03-50.png.288f820748043a0c619f48fdde9100e4.png

_sturt_

Reaction score
Pardon the guess implied by the question, but would it be accurate to say you've watched almost none of TL's runs from the season that catapulted him to the top of the first round?

And again... this isn't about what should be done. This is an off-season conversation about an imaginary preseason in which TL got to compete with the other RBs on the roster for the opportunity to get RB snaps... sorta kinda like maybe how one may have once imagined Deuce perhaps getting some WR snaps, right?

And again again... the person who first had responsibility to develop the kid, his HS coach, has commented more than once that he'd figured that TL's best position ultimately would prove to be RB. It's not that weird an idea, but of course, we're here in contrarian land, so who am I to act as-if surprised... hehehe.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Boys and girls, ladies and gentlemen...

I'm officially exhausted by my own thread now.

Purpose accomplished, I suppose, now that there's been three HR swings at putting to bed this fallacy that Trey has even merely average speed. Lamar Jackson is elite, but Trey Lance might be the next fastest QB in the league. Can't say for sure, but what we can say for sure is he's in the upper tier.

That said, I'm retiring from this one. :)

Jfconrow

Reaction score
He’s a run and gun qb, he rollls right then throws deep or runs. They’re trying to develop his pocket passing. Thats sort of the thing. He’s not a rb, but he’s faster then most QBs.

Sydla

Reaction score
LOL.

That sums up our offseason at RB quite well. Our backup QB might be our best starting RB.

Well done, Jerry.