Don’t fold too quick FO

Rayman70

Reaction score
The Blue print consists of square peg thru round hole OVER AND OVER AND OVER...but hey, at least we changed the darn offense...or so we been told. We will see if Moore is this Guru. Garrett is the preverbal square peg.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
It's amazing how fans will bend over backwards to support billionaires while trashing players, because they just want to see their favorite uniforms win and don't give a hoot about the guys wearing them. :rolleyes:

There is a hard cap in the NFL and Jerry is virtually guaranteed to hit it every year. Every extra dollar spent on one player comes out of the pocket of another player. Its not really rooting for the billionaire because he is going to spend the maximum amount on players regardless of which ones get those dollars. Its rooting for having the best possible combination of players and ironically, the fans rooting against players like Dak getting huge money are supporting the players making significantly less than Dak.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I like your answer.

We do know that when Elliott was suspended in 2017, Prescott threw more interceptions (seven) than touchdowns (five) and ranked 26th among qualified quarterbacks in passer rating.
Here's passer rating...

Prescott's first 25 games (2016-17)

middle 11 games -- 2017 at Atl to 2018 at Sea

last 15 games (all 2018)

middle 11 games
3 games w/ Smith, Frederick, Martin (Zeke didn't play in any game)

8 games w/o one of the three (Zeke played in 5 games)

Rayman70

Reaction score
btw...I must say...I just saw Dak today and the man looks razor sharp and svelte. He looks like a man on a mission.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
As a side question that could go in a number of threads, Dak is being paid $2m this year, right?

If he turns down Jerry's $25-30m or so offer and goes into next season with no contract, he:
- Risks losing the whole offer if he gets hurt or plays bad
- Automatically loses the per year amount raise of (25 to 30 minus 2) roughly 25m that he can never get back

Of course, he might get a bigger offer next year but I'm not sure its 25m bigger.

Jerry has a ton of leverage here. I'm sure he knows it but we don't discuss it much. Unless Dak is willing to hold out (and risk losing his job if the Cowboys trade for a competent QB) then this negotiation is really in Jerry's favor.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
There is a hard cap in the NFL and Jerry is virtually guaranteed to hit it every year. Every extra dollar spent on one player comes out of the pocket of another player. Its not really rooting for the billionaire because he is going to spend the maximum amount on players regardless of which ones get those dollars. Its rooting for having the best possible combination of players and ironically, the fans rooting against players like Dak getting huge money are supporting the players making significantly less than Dak.

Exactly. And that's the part that some just don't seem to get when they're rooting for exorbitant salaries for a few.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It's amazing how fans will bend over backwards to support billionaires while trashing players, because they just want to see their favorite uniforms win and don't give a hoot about the guys wearing them. :rolleyes:

Capped league. It's a business. Fans want to field a winning team, not get the players rich. For the fans, it's not about saving Jerry money, it's about saving cap to field a better team.

We could just as well talk about the players only being concerned about their money and not the team winning. But I don't begrudge them doing what's best for their family. It's a business.

Fans and players don't have the same interests here. I don't condemn either for it.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
The NFL brings in about 14 billion a year. The cap is set at 188.2 million this year. 188 x 32 that's 6 billion for the players. Which leaves the owners with about 8 billion. After the cheerleaders, Goodell and his cronies that's about 200 million a piece for the owners.

Dang. I want to be an owner.

Beaker42

Reaction score
These guys are all getting too greedy. If you sign a 5-yr contract and get the money up front like we gave Mr. Elliot, you honor it at least until season 4 ends.

Something’s gotta change or this will get out of hand.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And it's even more truly amazing that anyone thinks that's what this is about!!!!!

I couldn't care less how much we pay any player except as it pertains to putting a super bowl worthy team on the field. I want EZ to be rich, I want him to make 50mil+ in his career, enough to comfortably retire on.
Ok so what's the problem? Not sure what you're getting at?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
These guys are all getting too greedy. If you sign a 5-yr contract and get the money up front like we gave Mr. Elliot, you honor it at least until season 4 ends.

Something’s gotta change or this will get out of hand.
That's not how business works. Owners don't honor contracts when they cut players why do players have to honor their deals?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Here's passer rating...

Prescott's first 25 games (2016-17)

middle 11 games -- 2017 at Atl to 2018 at Sea

last 15 games (all 2018)

middle 11 games
3 games w/ Smith, Frederick, Martin (Zeke didn't play in any game)

8 games w/o one of the three (Zeke played in 5 games)
Your numbers frighten and confuse me.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Elliot - Now we have this kid. Actually looking like he is gonna pull a Emmitt. This upsets me. After what he has been through off field and this FO and team has stood beside him. Yeah he is a major part of the Offense and a lot think the Offense goes totally through him. Well that’s not totally correct. I don’t like him doing this. Holding the team hostage. If I am the FO then I am cutting Chum and Jackson. I am resigning Alfred Morris. He knows the system and will give you all he has, he don’t have the break away speed but will work hard and give you a 100 yard game. Develop Pollard in the TC. Let Elliot sit at home or over seas. He walks through TC and don’t play preseason anyways.

Jerry should offer Zeke to guarantee his salary for the year, like it was before the suspension, to get Zeke into camp. I understand guys not wanting to risk camp without guaranteed money. But that doesn't entitle you to a new contract.

If that won't do it, fine Elliot for missing practice, and claw back bonus money if he misses regular season games.

(Note: All league fines should be a percentage of cap hit for the year so that they mean something to the guys with top contracts.)

You think a RB might be happy to take a few games at the beginning of the season behind our oline? That would be some nice tape to put out there when you're trying to land a new gig. And just maybe they get extended with us if negotiations with Zeke go south.

I'm not retreading Morris. They should be talking to available backs, like Ajayi to see if a deal could be worked out.

Zeke needs to watch out, because he's not a vested vet yet. If he skipped games, and then got injured and missed more, he could end up not making the minimum games to vest the season.