Don Banks: Cowboys probably regret Williams trade

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
41gy#;2456079 said:
You might be right. I just heard one source, but I have not really checked.

I looked at the SS list, and I didn't know these guys.

I know where the best one is, and he is just a sophomore. His running mate could go in round one, too. (Eric Berry and DeMetrice Morley)

The guy from Missouri is really good. The guy from USC and Oregon, I think, are real good.

It seems top heavy. Maklin would be the guy to get, but he's going very early.

Malcolm Jenkins may move to safety, but he is out of range, too.

Yeah, some of those guys esp Jenkins is way out of our range. Probably the MO safety as well. Hamlin might be there in the second. The third he'd be a steal. He's more a SS though. He already looks like a pro player but he's not a ball hawk. I'd like for them to consider a big CB who is or could be projected to safety. The Jackson St kid is one but there are others.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Some of those guys who were likely to stay are possibly coming out this year. This may be a mega draft and if so then Dallas needs to load up on picks.

Does anyone know what the status is on the current agreement with the players and whether the players are going to go for a structured draft salary for rookies in 2010?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Cowboys better start looking at some offensive tackles, because the days of Flozell being an elite left tackle are probably coming to an end, Colombo is at the end of his contract, the window of opportunity is all but closed for McQuistan, Doug Free evidently hasn't been exactly infusing the coaches with confidence and looked pretty awful in the preseason and James Marten was a colossal bust.

If the Cowboys' entire OL crumbles after losing Kyle Kosier, I'm going to hate to see what they look like when they have a liability at left tackle.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi;2456151 said:
Cowboys better start looking at some offensive tackles, because the days of Flozell being an elite left tackle are probably coming to an end, Colombo is at the end of his contract, the window of opportunity is all but closed for McQuistan, Doug Free evidently hasn't been exactly infusing the coaches with confidence and looked pretty awful in the preseason and James Marten was a colossal bust.

Most definitely.

And I'm hoping they look for a true NT for this 3-4 defense as well.

I think Ratliff would be better at DE anyway.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
I warned all - Craytond production past year was > than Roy 911

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
Give Banks some credit.

TO ain't talking, Romo isn't in Cabo with Jessica and the team is winning so he needed to manufacture something for people to react to- job well done, Don

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
As I stated, we didn't have to make the Roy Williams trade at the time we did it because Miles Austin and Patrick Crayton had played fairly well up until the trade.

However, it is extremely foolish to think that Roy Williams doesn't make this team better.

How many games has the guy played with Tony Romo? Also, we all know Tony Romo tends to lock on to Terrell Owens, so at this point, he is probably not very comfortable with Roy Williams.

But I still agree that we didn't need to make the trade unless you don't expect Terrell Owens to be around very long.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Hostile;2454853 said:
SI and Banks have to read here to validate it though. If they have no clue how it is taken mission failure.

You'd be surprised how closely fan sites are monitored by guys in the national sporting press. ;)

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
bbgun;2454482 said:
CNNSI:I'm wondering if the Cowboys would still make the trade for Roy E. Williams if they had it to do over? Doubtful. In case you're not paying attention, Williams has caught just 11 passes for 161 yards and one touchdown in his six games with Dallas, a paltry average of less than two catches and 27 yards per game.

For that the Cowboys are giving up their first- and third-round picks in 2009, plus paying Williams a guaranteed $20 million as part of his five-year, $45 million contract extension? Maybe the Lions did win one in 2008, after all.

The initial benefit of the Williams trade is we have not seen Romo having to hold on to the ball because there is no receiver open. (Of course, you could say the initial benefit is a victory over Tampa Bay.)

We've had some failed drives, but not because of a lack of open receivers. In those last few weeks before Romo got hurt, he was having trouble finding an open receiver against defenses designed to double Owens, surround Witten and force Crayton to beat man coverage.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Why would Dallas regret the trade? He'll be one of Romo's weapons for years to come. He is new to the offense. What does this guy expect him to do. As he gets more comfortable in the offense - look out.

Eskimo

Reaction score
gimmesix;2456355 said:
The initial benefit of the Williams trade is we have not seen Romo having to hold on to the ball because there is no receiver open. (Of course, you could say the initial benefit is a victory over Tampa Bay.)

We've had some failed drives, but not because of a lack of open receivers. In those last few weeks before Romo got hurt, he was having trouble finding an open receiver against defenses designed to double Owens, surround Witten and force Crayton to beat man coverage.

But that was because we couldn't run the ball effectively due to Proctor. Much of our offensive malaise was due to Proctor's incompetence. If you give Romo a running game, pass blocking, TO and Witten he will shred you. RW11's true impact likely won't be felt until next year when he begins to supplant TO as the #1 after a full TC.

kmd24

Reaction score
I think one of the things Banks missed is that Texas Roy didn't start the first three (or was it four?) games. He was only used in goal line and 3rd down situations, which were probably only 15 or so snaps a game.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
bbgun;2454482 said:
CNNSI:

I'm wondering if the Cowboys would still make the trade for Roy E. Williams if they had it to do over? Doubtful. In case you're not paying attention, Williams has caught just 11 passes for 161 yards and one touchdown in his six games with Dallas, a paltry average of less than two catches and 27 yards per game.

For that the Cowboys are giving up their first- and third-round picks in 2009, plus paying Williams a guaranteed $20 million as part of his five-year, $45 million contract extension? Maybe the Lions did win one in 2008, after all.
I REALLY hope Roy reads this. :D

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2456250 said:
You'd be surprised how closely fan sites are monitored by guys in the national sporting press. ;)
Actually I wouldn't.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Eskimo;2456495 said:
But that was because we couldn't run the ball effectively due to Proctor. Much of our offensive malaise was due to Proctor's incompetence. If you give Romo a running game, pass blocking, TO and Witten he will shred you. RW11's true impact likely won't be felt until next year when he begins to supplant TO as the #1 after a full TC.

I don't think you can truly lay it all at Proctor's feet. Owens and Witten are the first concerns that teams have had when playing Dallas because of their ability to burn you downfield, and teams since Green Bay have been scheming to take Owens out with safety help and Witten out with over-under coverage.

It's just a smart move when Patrick Crayton hasn't consistently shown the ability to beat single coverage. But with Williams, they can't do that or he'll make plays like his long catch against Seattle. His being on the field forces coverages to be more honest, to not just cheat to one side, and opens things up more for Owens and Witten.

Teams do not want to put single coverage on Williams on every play, so that is allowing Witten and Owens to get better matchups more often and Romo to exploit those matchups. If teams had been sticking to that original strategy, then Romo would be exploiting the coverage against Williams. I expect that to happen at some point because Owens and Witten are doing too much damage.

Eskimo

Reaction score
gimmesix;2456881 said:
I don't think you can truly lay it all at Proctor's feet. Owens and Witten are the first concerns that teams have had when playing Dallas because of their ability to burn you downfield, and teams since Green Bay have been scheming to take Owens out with safety help and Witten out with over-under coverage.

It's just a smart move when Patrick Crayton hasn't consistently shown the ability to beat single coverage. But with Williams, they can't do that or he'll make plays like his long catch against Seattle. His being on the field forces coverages to be more honest, to not just cheat to one side, and opens things up more for Owens and Witten.

Teams do not want to put single coverage on Williams on every play, so that is allowing Witten and Owens to get better matchups more often and Romo to exploit those matchups. If teams had been sticking to that original strategy, then Romo would be exploiting the coverage against Williams. I expect that to happen at some point because Owens and Witten are doing too much damage.

They could have their cake and eat it too with Proctor in the lineup because we could not consistently run the ball even when they were selling out for the pass. Furthermore, when they sold out for the pass in coverage, they could get lots of effective pressure without blitzing because Proctor would cause the pocket to cave-in early.

Proctor was kryptonite for this offense. I really hope we find another backup G/C in FA/draft or convert Kosier for this role. We should also get rid of Berger if he can't beat out Proctor.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Eskimo;2454502 said:
The trade was a bit of a panic move by Jerry brought on by the poor play of the OL leading to teams being able to double TO and Witten and defend Barber against the run. I think Jerry thought the key to saving the season was bringing in RW11 to free up Owens and Witten.

I still argue the real key to getting the offense going again was solidifying the OL by getting rid of Proctor and inserting a competent OG.

Anyhow, the trade will be judged on how far we go in the playoffs (if we make it there) and whether RW11 becomes the replacement #1 for TO as he ages. It is really way too early to judge who has won this trade.

My main beef with the trade is that I thought we didn't need RW11 this season and could have acquired him for less (or possibly nothing) in the offseason. I would have rather kept the 1st and 3rd to spend on OL/ILB/NT/S.

I largely agree.
The trade was borne of some panic when we had trouble T.O.'s demand for the ball. And with Witten and our nos. 2 and 3 we had plenty of weapons.

On the other hand, if Jerra can afford it cap-wise then what is the big hurt?
Even as a diversion, the lad Roy can open up the field a wee bit.
With all the injuries that have occured of late, the trade looks less and less warranted, I agree, but at that time it seemed a "why not?" kind of deal.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
RW isnt getting dinged up. That is what his issues are. As long as he stays healthy I am sure he is going to come on. He has only played with Romo for three weeks and its not as if he doesn't already have TO, Witten and others to throw to.