Don Banks: Cowboys probably regret Williams trade

superpunk

Reaction score
Hostile;2454853 said:
SI and Banks have to read here to validate it though. If they have no clue how it is taken mission failure.
The journalist-apologist won't understand what you just said.

1fisher

Reaction score
Hostile;2454853 said:
SI and Banks have to read here to validate it though. If they have no clue how it is taken mission failure.

You nailed it!

My thoughts exactly.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
TheCount;2454511 said:
He's right, let's cut him.

I love that sig! And the Newman quote is priceless. This team has been better since that quote was made.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
At best this guy is:
  • short sighted
  • member of IGS
  • not able to see that RW complete's a TEAM, not an individual stats *****

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
The Panch;2454492 said:
Whether we made the right decision will be decided in December and potientally January. Until then, I'll withold my judgement.

Actually the real value of this deal will not be known for 2-3 years at least. This was not a deal made for just this season and I think that is where people seem to be making their mistake and not thinking clearly on the value of it.

Plus the guys article is trash cause he's talking about how little he's done in 6 games with the team yet ignoring the fact that 3 of those games were with trash at the QB spot while Romo was hurt.

He had, what, 2 or 3 catches while Romo was out and now in the 3 games since Romo has returned he's caught 8 or 9 balls. And lets us not forget that in two of those games with Romo some one else has had the openings to go off. Owens with a huge game against SF and then Witten on Thanksgiving. Roy will get his chances to shine and catch the big number of balls in a game.

He and Romo will need plenty more time, than just whats left this season, to get a chemistry down but you can tell they're getting more and more into it each game out there.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2454924 said:
Actually the real value of this deal will not be known for 2-3 years at least.

I disagree. We knew BEFORE we made the deal and we know NOW the value of the RWR deal.

In my opinion, 3 "possible" or "potential" draft picks is NEVER greater than ONE "proven" "good/great" player.. especially at WR position.

Not even close.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
YoMick;2454931 said:
I disagree. We knew BEFORE we made the deal and we know NOW the value of the RWR deal.

In my opinion, 3 "possible" or "potential" draft picks is NEVER greater than ONE "proven" "good/great" player.. especially at WR position.

Not even close.

I actually think the deal was great, just to be clear, but the true value of it for those who want to know what kinds of results it will yield on the field can't really be measured for a couple of seasons.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Hostile;2454517 said:
Sorry Don. Bad concept. You should have asked anyone at Dallas rather than made a stupid assumption. They'd tell you they aren't just happy, they are ecstatic. Every catch except one has been for a 1st down and a couple of them show how good a WR he is. He just needs to get acclimated to the Offense and there is time.

Learn the game Don. It isn't that hard to grasp.

What a bunch of hen's cacka from Banks. As you stated he Roy is in the continuing process of integrating himself in Garrett's offensive system.

In addition, Romo and Williams will be developing more catch and pass rapport by becoming more familiar with play scenarios and each other's tendencies..

Also let's not forget Roy Williams had to contend with backukps Brad Johnson and Brooks Bollinger. Our Oline has a better attitude and is more motivated with Romo back at the helm. They are healthy and Montrae Holland appears to be a credible backup. One more thing about Romo. He has gone back to shooting on the fly but with the added dimension of operating economically or patiently when he has to in the pocket.

All those improving support variables will benefit Williams as well and allow him to be the receiving weapon he is.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2454936 said:
I actually think the deal was great, just to be clear, but the true value of it for those who want to know what kinds of results it will yield on the field can't really be measured for a couple of seasons.

Yeah I get the gist of what you were saying...

BUT... like TO... Roy Williams is another asset to opening things up for others, for other plays.... as well as contributing.

My point is... even if he only did the small things, like drawing attention and blocking etc.... as long as it = SB win.

Nothing else matters.

For me its not about WR cost this much he should have 15 TD's and 1500 yards etc.

So many times we have seen individual stats that were great, in the NFL in general, and those players are home with us watching the SB on tv.

Gimme #6 ;)

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
The Panch;2454492 said:
Whether we made the right decision will be decided in December and potientally January. Until then, I'll withold my judgement.

Truth be told, this was more about the future than it was for 2008. This wasn't a "rental" move ala baseball.

It's tough coming to a new team in the middle of a season without the luxury of an off season and training camp with that team.

So in that respect, that was a nonsense blurb by Banks.

alby

Reaction score
It's already paying off... Look at TO's and Witten's numbers.

It's a team sport.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
The Panch;2454492 said:

Exactly. We have a winner, come on down.

ladiewolve

Reaction score
You say in the 6 games...I choose to think of it as the 3 with Romo...the 3 without him I have blocked out of my mind. I think Roy will become a big playmaker. He has mad some great first down catches already!
I'm glad we have him. When Romo gets a good feel for him it will be just as good as the other WR's.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
I like Roy and he is a bonafide starter. But, I don't think he's a #1 WR. He's not going to be the guy when T.O. leaves.

Now we are definitely better with him, but you have to weigh what we gave up and exactly how much better we are. Once T.O. does leave we will still need to get a bigtime starter in here to pair with Roy because I just don't see a tandem of Roy/Crayton or Roy/Austin, etc getting it done.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Eskimo;2454502 said:
The trade was a bit of a panic move by Jerry brought on by the poor play of the OL leading to teams being able to double TO and Witten and defend Barber against the run. I think Jerry thought the key to saving the season was bringing in RW11 to free up Owens and Witten.

I still argue the real key to getting the offense going again was solidifying the OL by getting rid of Proctor and inserting a competent OG.

Anyhow, the trade will be judged on how far we go in the playoffs (if we make it there) and whether RW11 becomes the replacement #1 for TO as he ages. It is really way too early to judge who has won this trade.

My main beef with the trade is that I thought we didn't need RW11 this season and could have acquired him for less (or possibly nothing) in the offseason. I would have rather kept the 1st and 3rd to spend on OL/ILB/NT/S.

Good post. This pretty much sums up my attitude toward the trade as well.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tyke1doe;2454851 said:
I want all of you (us) to know you've (we've) just made Don Banks' day and validated his "calling."

As long as we keep offering multiple pages of outrage over what some writer says negatively about the Cowboys, we'll keep the steady stream of negativity flowing.

You'll notice that Cowboys praise by media hardly gets the response that Cowboys bashing by media does.

I'll assume one day we'll become smart enough to figure this out. Until then, let the faux outrage continue. ;)

I see.

So Banks' motivation for writing this uninformed, off-base tripe was simply a 'cry for attention'.

And by calling this hack writer out on it, we're actually feeding into his cries for attention.

If we say nothing, the garbage that passes for journalism these days will continue.

And if we do, the attention-starved mediots get their names mentioned as they hoped for.

I guess we can't win.

Or they can't lose...

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Would Don Banks say the same about the Herschell Walker trade five weeks after it was completed?

Would he then open his piehole five years later and admit he jumped the gun?

He is in the press. Which means you divide his IQ by two, then add ten and give him the Wonderlich and watch him score a negative number.

Who cares what this guy thinks.