Don Banks: Cowboys probably regret Williams trade

SMCowboy

Reaction score
Eskimo;2454522 said:
Pure speculation.

Wrong. That is a fact. Not even Detroit is stupid enough to let Roy Williams walk without getting ANY sort of compensation for him. Now, maybe Detroit would have been willing to trade Roy Williams for a 1st round DP (ala Buffalo trading Peerless Price to Atlanta for just 1 1st round DP after the season). But there is no guarantee of that.

Eskimo

Reaction score
SMCowboy;2455203 said:
Wrong. That is a fact. Not even Detroit is stupid enough to let Roy Williams walk without getting ANY sort of compensation for him. Now, maybe Detroit would have been willing to trade Roy Williams for a 1st round DP (ala Buffalo trading Peerless Price to Atlanta for just 1 1st round DP after the season). But there is no guarantee of that.

You don't understand what is and isn't a fact.

We don't know if they were going to let him walk until after the season is over. If he had continued at that level of production, they may not have franchised him. Plus, we would have been in a better position to negotiate with the draft upcoming.

Anyhow, not much pointing in debating this. Whether the trade was good or not will be settled by how well RW11 plays so I hope he goes on to become a dominant #1 WR with Romo feeding him the ball. I do think he is being underutilized and will hopefully become a bigger part of the offense down the stretch - his hands are impressive.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eskimo;2454502 said:
The trade was a bit of a panic move by Jerry brought on by the poor play of the OL leading to teams being able to double TO and Witten and defend Barber against the run. I think Jerry thought the key to saving the season was bringing in RW11 to free up Owens and Witten.

I still argue the real key to getting the offense going again was solidifying the OL by getting rid of Proctor and inserting a competent OG.

Anyhow, the trade will be judged on how far we go in the playoffs (if we make it there) and whether RW11 becomes the replacement #1 for TO as he ages. It is really way too early to judge who has won this trade.

My main beef with the trade is that I thought we didn't need RW11 this season and could have acquired him for less (or possibly nothing) in the offseason. I would have rather kept the 1st and 3rd to spend on OL/ILB/NT/S.

I agree.

I think it was a panic move too.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2455586 said:
I agree.

I think it was a panic move too.

They had been trying to get him all year. Why was it a panic move? Is he worth a #1? Yep. Is he worth a 1 and a 3? Probably. I do think we'll have to wait for 10+ games or so to get the real feel for it.

I don't see JJ thinking he had to have this guy to win a SB this year. I do think he saw it as an opportunity to get a #1 WR for a #1 and a #3 future pick discounting the #6 or 7 pick included.

But I could be wrong.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Coakleys Dad;2455608 said:
Jerruh has been trying to get #11 for 2 1/2 years now.

I think Michael is saying that even though he has been trying to get him he went into panic mode and spent more than he had to. We don't know who else was after him yada.

FCBarca

Reaction score
It's a pretty premature conclusion to make considering this is like the 2nd game basically that Romo is playing with #11...I'd say you won't know until next season and they go through a camp together...But to deem it a failure now is ridiculous...Looks like the media dolts have nothing better to do

Reaction score
bbgun;2454482 said:
CNNSI:

I'm wondering if the Cowboys would still make the trade for Roy E. Williams if they had it to do over? Doubtful. In case you're not paying attention, Williams has caught just 11 passes for 161 yards and one touchdown in his six games with Dallas, a paltry average of less than two catches and 27 yards per game.

For that the Cowboys are giving up their first- and third-round picks in 2009, plus paying Williams a guaranteed $20 million as part of his five-year, $45 million contract extension? Maybe the Lions did win one in 2008, after all.

http://img246.*************/img246/9917/ch21thunov272008050735pel3.jpg

WHY WHY WHY...we gave a 1st for a proven 1st (remember our draft choices sometimes turn in to Booby Carpenters?)...we gave a 3rd when we have one coming from Cleveland, and we gave a toss-up late rounder.

LET THE GUY DEVELOP CHEMISTRY WITH THE QB AND LEARN THE PLAYBOOK!!!! Jezz....:bang2:

Wrangler87

Reaction score
FCBarca;2455808 said:
It's a pretty premature conclusion to make considering this is like the 2nd game basically that Romo is playing with #11...I'd say you won't know until next season and they go through a camp together...But to deem it a failure now is ridiculous...Looks like the media dolts have nothing better to do

Yeah, do you thinnk TO thinks it's a failure?

mmillman

Reaction score
:bow:
ajk23az;2454495 said:
Goodness...Roy is a #1 WR for when T.O. retires. He provides a huge weapon in our offense and there are ZERO WRs in our range of the draft that will have an impact like him.

We would have to give up more to get Crabtree than we did to get Roy11.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
The Cowboys have plenty of draft picks to address their needs in the 2009 draft. Plus, they should get some more picks.

OT/G
OT
C/G
S
ILB
OLB

All these positions can be easily addressed outside the first round if the scouting department is on top of their game.

I've got a tip for them.

Ramon Foster RT/G 6-6 325 Tennessee (late day one or early day two) Players like this are out there. I expect this guy to move up.

The safety class looks weak.

Inside linebackers in the 34 can be found in late rounds.

A third outside linebacker can be found later and groomed.

Roy Williams is a proven player with upside. He will only get better when he gets experience in Jason Garrett's system. Plus, Tony Romo and Williams will get better and better with every passing game.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
41gy#;2456018 said:
The Cowboys have plenty of draft picks to address their needs in the 2009 draft. Plus, they should get some more picks.

OT/G
OT
C/G
S
ILB
OLB

All these positions can be easily addressed outside the first round if the scouting department is on top of their game.

I've got a tip for them.

Ramon Foster RT/G 6-6 325 Tennessee (late day one or early day two) Players like this are out there. I expect this guy to move up.

Roy Williams is a proven player with upside. He will only get better when he gets experience in Jason Garrett's system. Plus, Tony Romo and Williams will get better and better with every passing game.

I thought this draft was pretty deep safety wise. Why do you think it's weak? Not enough elite safeties?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
41gy#;2456018 said:

OT/G
OT
C/G
S
ILB
OLB

I've got a tip for them.

Safety class was pretty weak last year as well, not sure what's going on with that position in the college game, but there haven't been the best prospects coming out recently.

Decleater101

Reaction score
I don't know who don banks is. Never heard of him. If he actually said this then that explains why I've never heard of him.

:cool:

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
jobberone;2456023 said:
I thought this draft was pretty deep safety wise. Why do you think it's weak? Not enough elite safeties?

You might be right. I just heard one source, but I have not really checked.

I looked at the SS list, and I didn't know these guys.

I know where the best one is, and he is just a sophomore. His running mate could go in round one, too. (Eric Berry and DeMetrice Morley)

The guy from Missouri is really good. The guy from USC and Oregon, I think, are real good.

It seems top heavy. Maklin would be the guy to get, but he's going very early.

Malcolm Jenkins may move to safety, but he is out of range, too.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
TheCount;2456038 said:
Safety class was pretty weak last year as well, not sure what's going on with that position in the college game, but there haven't been the best prospects coming out recently.

Just wait for Eric Berry in 2010. He is one of the best players I have ever seen. He could play cornerback, too. He reminds me of Shawn Taylor and Ronnie Lott. He can do it all. He is going to be a monster. If he stays healthy, he's a top 5 pick in 2010. He is ready for the NFL right now, but he will have to wait one year. Monte Kiffin is going to love these safties in Knoxville.

I wish the Cowboys could get the guy that plays beside him. (Demetrice Morley.)

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I think this draft is going to be good for safeties. There are at least three at or near first round and more in the 2nd and 3rd. Ellison, Mays, Moore, Hamlin, Chung, and Rolle off the top of my head. There is a CB who is 6-2 (listed precombine) and 188 who I think would be a possible safety for us....Dominique Johnson out of Jackson St. If he's around in the fourth he'd be a steal. In the third very solid. I don't think I'd spend a 2nd on him. That's just one non-elite possibility.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Kinda surprised so many fans have never heard of Banks, who's a prolific writer. Maybe because he's not a talking head at one of the networks.