Donald Sterling, Clippers Owner, Banned For Life, Fined $2.5M

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I just dont see how you can ban a guy for life for his personal feelings. Right or wrong (and he is clearly a racist bigot) he is entitled to his opinion. Unless they can show that his personal feelings have come to play in how he runs his business I dont get how you can force a guy to sell that business. I think the guy is a dirt bag but this whole thing is kind of bizarre. The girl who tapes a private conversation with him is sleeping with Magic, who wants to buy the team. I think he is probably getting what he deserves, but the whole thing is really shady in my opinion.

I agree that your average person is allowed to have (and express) an opinion that may offend others.

But Professional franchise owners must adhere to a different standard, and it is routinely made clear to them and is a prerequisite to ownership. The NBA is nothing without its brand....and perceived reputation. MLB forced Marge Schott out 20 years ago and things are much more strict now than then.

The fact that Sterling already had to settle a huge class action based on similar type stuff certainly didn't help his cause.

I'm a huge free speech advocate, but there are repercussions if you hold certain public positions.
He broke both written and unwritten rules here, so this is way beyond the normal politically correct bs.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
I agree that your average person is allowed to have (and express) an opinion that may offend others.

But Professional franchise owners must adhere to a different standard, and it is routinely made clear to them and is a prerequisite to ownership. The NBA is nothing without its brand....and perceived reputation. MLB forced Marge Schott out 20 years ago and things are much more strict now than then.

The fact that Sterling already had to settle a huge class action based on similar type stuff certainly didn't help his cause.

I'm a huge free speech advocate, but there are repercussions if you hold certain public positions.
He broke both written and unwritten rules here, so this is way beyond the normal politically correct bs.

Free speech just protects him from going to jail over what he said. You still have to be careful with your words at any job, and his are magnified even more because of his position. His words have already jeopardized entire leagues public relations, not just his team. If he owned his own independent company that was not part of a collectively bargained league, then he wouldn't lose his job. He would just lose customers.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Free speech just protects him from going to jail over what he said. You still have to be careful with your words at any job, and his are magnified even more because of his position. His words have already jeopardized entire leagues public relations, not just his team. If he owned his own independent company that was not part of a collectively bargained league, then he wouldn't lose his job. He would just lose customers.

Like I said...so agreed

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Not absolving him. I just don't want to live in a country where a man can't express his opinion in his own home without fear.

We already have an IRS and JoP that are badgering citizens and media that don't share their politics.

And don't kid yourself, this is ALL about money. Advertisers (who grow increasingly disappointed with the NBA's pathetic TV ratings) were lining up to leave. THAT is what this is ultimately about.

You might as well say that you don't want to live in a country with other people because as long as people are motivated by personal gain or retaliation then there will be people who do whatever they can to get at someone.

So what should be the next step? She get sued? Nothing that could happen from any sort of law prohibiting recording would change the outcome now. Nobody is going to say he shouldn't be punished because he didn't know someone was recording him. The cat is out of the bag.

Whether he knew his gold-digging tramp was recording him, I don't care. I guess he should have chosen better company than a gold-digger who was fine with her sugar daddy's beliefs until he pissed her off.

Hoofbite

Reaction score

Good post.

Freedom of Speech doesn't protect you from being a scumbag.

Also doesn't protect you from 29 other millionaires who's money you are jeopardizing.

I think the situation is pretty sad. Supposedly he's a well-known slime ball with outdated prejudices but it took some random piece of trophy tail to get him thrown out.

Dude should have been shown the door a long time ago based on some of the things I've heard said about his idiocy.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Well, it is pretty convenient that the woman who leaked these tapes to the press and the guy who stands to gain the most from Sterling being ousted are awfully chummy with each other.

Who cares? So they conspired to get rid of a prejudiced turd. So what?

If they actually planned it, I'd become a huge fan of Magic on that point alone.

Regardless of how it happened or who planned it, this guy and his archaic ideas need to be pushed out as soon as possible.

I literally cannot understand why anyone would even hint at supporting that guy. You do realize how that comes across, don't you?

Stryker44

Reaction score

If they actually planned it, I'd become a huge fan of Magic on that point alone.

Regardless of how it happened or who planned it, this guy and his archaic ideas need to be pushed out as soon as possible.

I literally cannot understand why anyone would even hint at supporting that guy. You do realize how that comes across, don't you?

Of course Larry Johnson is going to be banned for life now right?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Of course Larry Johnson is going to be banned for life now right?
Lol
What he said was epically stupid. You could go years and not hear something so dumb on so many levels.
Not ban-able though. Just dumb.

Rogah

Reaction score

I literally cannot understand what I have said that makes someone think I am supporting the guy. I really don't care about basketball, I never heard of him until 3 days ago, and I don't care what they do with him or his franchise.

All I've said is that I find it hilarious how he has many transgressions far worse than an ignorant remark which the NBA gladly turned a blind eye to for decades.

Rogah

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're referencing, but I would doubt the situations are comparable beyond some deluded first glance.
He is referencing Larry Johnson's (who is a Knicks executive) public statement that they start start an all-black basketball league.

The fact that you haven't heard that statement reported on speaks volumes regarding the media double standard in reporting racist statements made by different groups. Some are ok, some aren't.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Lol
What he said was epically stupid. You could go years and not hear something so dumb on so many levels.
Not ban-able though. Just dumb.

They're not comparable at all, just a fail attempt to paint Sterling as a victim, a fail attempt to imply everyone is picking on him and if he weren't white, his comment would be ok. To that I would say, Riley Cooper said what he said, the internet exploded, he got a slap on the wrist, and everyone was ok with it

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
He is referencing Larry Johnson's (who is a Knicks executive) public statement that they start start an all-black basketball league.

The fact that you haven't heard that statement reported on speaks volumes regarding the media double standard in reporting racist statements made by different groups. Some are ok, some aren't.

For starters, saying Larry Johnson is an executive with the Knicks is a stretch. He's in charge of player development.

Also, and I may be wrong, but he didn't suggest starting an all black league, he was referring to a black owned league

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
They're not comparable at all, just a fail attempt to paint Sterling as a victim, a fail attempt to imply everyone is picking on him and if he weren't white, his comment would be ok. To that I would say, Riley Cooper said what he said, the internet exploded, he got a slap on the wrist, and everyone was ok with it

no, they aren't comparable. one was a young player, the other was a team executive.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
For starters, saying Larry Johnson is an executive with the Knicks is a stretch. He's in charge of player development.

Also, and I may be wrong, but he didn't suggest starting an all black league, he was referring to a black owned league
not a stretch at all. he is a team executive. of course you had no idea a few short hours ago.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
no, they aren't comparable. one was a young player, the other was a team executive.

and one person, used a word that is accepted as hate full, and the other just made a stupid and unrealistic comment.

My point, which you'll continue to dance around, is that the double standard that does exist, is very over blown.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
and one person, used a word that is accepted as hate full, and the other just made a stupid and unrealistic comment.

My point, which you'll continue to dance around, is that the double standard that does exist, is very over blown.

and my point is if the NBA wants me to truly believe they care about ending racism, they would do more then the very minimum when everyone has gathered on the front lawn with pitch forks.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
not a stretch at all. he is a team executive. of course you had no idea a few short hours ago.

the fact that I'm a Knicks fan and didn't know that shows how much of a stretch it is. It would be like calling a strength coach an executive.

Rogah

Reaction score
Which is an executive level position.
Sure sounds like he wanted an all-black league to me (and the rest of the world):

Black people your Focusing on the wrong thing. We should be focusing on having our own, Own team own League! To For Self!!

Why are you defending such despicable racism? Do you think an executive who publicly called for an all-white league would be ignored by the media?

Status
Not open for further replies.