Donald Sterling, Clippers Owner, Banned For Life, Fined $2.5M

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
revenge. a lien on her property. It appears she was in this for the money, so possessions clearly matter to her

Like I noted. He'll get interviewed, questioned, etc. as much as her legal team wants. She'll likely have plenty of folks lining up to defend her for free as well.

You know these things I suspect.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
This guy does not care about his reputation. He is also notorious for his litigious proclivity. He might do this to make the NBA regret their decision to take action against him.

He can sue the NBA all he wants. Fact is the commish does have the legal power to do this. Doubt very much he's going to get anywhere with that in his lifetime

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He can sue the NBA all he wants. Fact is the commish does have the legal power to do this. Doubt very much he's going to get anywhere with that in his lifetime

He may or may not. I was listening to discussion on this just a little while ago. He certainly has a significant amount of latitude on certain areas without question, based on support of the owners but, the question seemed to revolve around if he could actually force the sale of the Franchise and if Sterling could prove some sort of hardship with regards to a forced sale. There seemed to be some legal question around that. I am not familiar enough with the law to completely understand what it all entailed and I was not able to hear the entire discussion but anyway, there was some question there.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
He may or may not. I was listening to discussion on this just a little while ago. He certainly has a significant amount of latitude on certain areas without question, based on support of the owners but, the question seemed to revolve around if he could actually force the sale of the Franchise and if Sterling could prove some sort of hardship with regards to a forced sale. There seemed to be some legal question around that. I am not familiar enough with the law to completely understand what it all entailed and I was not able to hear the entire discussion but anyway, there was some question there.

Commish cannot force him to sell but can certainly pressure him to do so. I expect every owner is going to pressure him to sell the team. If he remains the owner the team will tank. No one will sponsor it. It will lose money hand over fist. The league will be forced to take it over.

He's destroyed the franchise's value at this point. The league did not do that, so I don't see how "forced hardship" is an issue. Sponsors fled before the suspension.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Commish cannot force him to sell but can certainly pressure him to do so. I expect every owner is going to pressure him to sell the team. If he remains the owner the team will tank. No one will sponsor it. It will lose money hand over fist. The league will be forced to take it over.

He's destroyed the franchise's value at this point. The league did not do that, so I don't see how "forced hardship" is an issue. Sponsors fled before the suspension.

The discussion seemed to center around Sterling being able to build a case that suggested undo hardship on forcing him to sell. Apparently, there may be some sort of legal strategy that could use that in a suit.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The discussion seemed to center around Sterling being able to build a case that suggested undo hardship on forcing him to sell. Apparently, there may be some sort of legal strategy that could use that in a suit.

What exactly does that have to do with anything, other then the pocket book of Sterling? He is a Billionaire. He has very little time left. His family has already thrown him under the bus. What do you see him spending his money on?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Look for an owners vote on forcing him to sell rather quickly. The league office can't do it, but the owners can. I sure they are aware of what a slippery slope this could--making them all more vulnerable--but my guess is that votes will be there.

I can't imagine him selling to Magic though. He does have a choice as long as the buyers are acceptable.

If the Bucks just sold for 500 million, you know the Clipscould go for 700-900 minimum.

In any case, Adam Silver knows what he's doing and I think the players feel like finally the commish is in their corner too.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
and what exactly is he going to get from her in a civil suit?

Do you really think he wants to submit himself to questioning in such a suit? Gee, that's gonna really help his reputation. Getting questioned about all the other racist stuff he's said in the past. Unlike a criminal proceeding, he can pretty much get asked anything. Sure, he's really going to go that route. He's not going to get painted in a more negative light at all.

Forget his reputation - it might not even help his case.

There's these things in civil suits called "counterclaims." They can be asserted at any time before things are fully adjudicated in most jurisdictions.

He might try to lodge some weak complaint about privacy (which you have no reasonable expectation of if there was a third party in the room as has been stated), but the kinds of stuff that would come out in a deposition would subject him to lose more than he's attempting to seek in his suit against Stiviano, lol.

He's got basically two options: 1) sell the team, take your millions and go away, or 2) don't sell the team but be that guy that's hovering around the outside.

Either way, him receiving a lifetime ban is the right answer for the principle of the matter. It probably should have happened before, but its not like David Stern necessarily cared about the "labor" in the league himself, if things I've heard from friends who are close to players and execs in the NBA are to be believed...I'll leave it at that.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I don't own an NBA team.

Don't entertain him. He doesn't even have a passing, foundational knowledge of the legal ramifications, limitations, implications, and any other sort of -ations that go with this issue to attempt to compare it to something in your household.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Watching the video with Adam Silver - he confirmed that a 75% affirmative vote of the NBA Board of Governors can in fact vote him out as an owner.

So, Sterling's got two options - sell, or be expelled.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I just dont see how you can ban a guy for life for his personal feelings. Right or wrong (and he is clearly a racist bigot) he is entitled to his opinion. Unless they can show that his personal feelings have come to play in how he runs his business I dont get how you can force a guy to sell that business. I think the guy is a dirt bag but this whole thing is kind of bizarre. The girl who tapes a private conversation with him is sleeping with Magic, who wants to buy the team. I think he is probably getting what he deserves, but the whole thing is really shady in my opinion.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I just dont see how you can ban a guy for life for his personal feelings. Right or wrong (and he is clearly a racist bigot) he is entitled to his opinion. Unless they can show that his personal feelings have come to play in how he runs his business I dont get how you can force a guy to sell that business. I think the guy is a dirt bag but this whole thing is kind of bizarre. The girl who tapes a private conversation with him is sleeping with Magic, who wants to buy the team. I think he is probably getting what he deserves, but the whole thing is really shady in my opinion.

No offense intended, but people with opinions like this show that there's a long way to go in race relations here in the U.S. They just can't see how these "personal feelings" affect people of race.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score

Wow.

Rogah

Reaction score
I agree this is totally seedy. I am not saying Sterling shouldn't be forced to sell, but it sure is shady how the woman who exposed all of this has a close (intimate?) relationship with the guy who wants to buy the team.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score

the key is what he bought was into a collective. think of it more as a timeshare then a home. collectively owned property has it's own set of issues to wade through.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I agree this is totally seedy. I am not saying Sterling shouldn't be forced to sell, but it sure is shady how the woman who exposed all of this has a close (intimate?) relationship with the guy who wants to buy the team.

The woman is certainly a gold digger and because of that someone I have no respect for. However, the focus should remain on Sterling.

Status
Not open for further replies.