Draftniks - early looksie at Dallas draft

Hiero

Reaction score
1st Rd) WR/OT I think we take either a guy like Santonio Holmes who i like, or one of the many many OT's. Holmes is a great rac guy something the boys dont have. Martin Nance is an intriguing guy very tall not too sure on his speed though.
2) FS - Pat Watkins seems like a great fit for teh team. Tall and rangy exactly what I want. Tackling can be taught, speed and height can't.
3) WR/OT probably whichever we didnt get earlier.
5) the FB from Wisconsin is good, or any FB who can be a big lead blocker for JJ.
6) Kicker with a big leg and accuracy.

ive heard. We need a real FB one who can lead block because JJ is too small.
I think Pierce is a solid TE, and Parcells wont take a TE until the later rds.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I don't do mocks because I am not arrogant enough to think I know enough to make one that looks even halfway possible past the 2nd rd. I have a few players that I would like to see on the Boys but I am not cocky enough to try and predict where they go. After midway through the second rd its not possible anyway.
My only predictions are like with Ngata- gone by #10 at the latest.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
I don't do mocks because I am not arrogant enough to think I know enough to make one that looks even halfway possible past the 2nd rd. I have a few players that I would like to see on the Boys but I am not cocky enough to try and predict where they go. After midway through the second rd its not possible anyway.
My only predictions are like with Ngata- gone by #10 at the latest.

I agree and it also helps to know what picks your going to get and who the underclassmen may be.

burmafrd

Reaction score
This team right NOW needs to upgrade at FS and the O line. BUT we have some young people that might, by the end of the year, show that we have either more or less to worry about in those positions. That is why any mocks now are truly WORTHLESS.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Developmental guards and tackles should be our priority for the next draft- and that means 3rd rd AT BEST for them.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Hawthorne was supposed to be a top 15 - players slide.

I do a lot of research in offseason on draftee's. I've started the leg work and threw it out for feedback.

Thanks to those that did as I value that. The snipers that add nothing - stick it.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Hiero said:
1st Rd) WR/OT I think we take either a guy like Santonio Holmes who i like, or one of the many many OT's. Holmes is a great rac guy something the boys dont have. Martin Nance is an intriguing guy very tall not too sure on his speed though.
2) FS - Pat Watkins seems like a great fit for teh team. Tall and rangy exactly what I want. Tackling can be taught, speed and height can't.
3) WR/OT probably whichever we didnt get earlier.
5) the FB from Wisconsin is good, or any FB who can be a big lead blocker for JJ.
6) Kicker with a big leg and accuracy.

ive heard. We need a real FB one who can lead block because JJ is too small.
I think Pierce is a solid TE, and Parcells wont take a TE until the later rds.

FB would not suprise me

visionary

Reaction score
hi guys!!

i posted this on another thread but is likely better suited here.

i like to think of the team as a whole and as such the off season as a whole since that is how i think the coaches/personnel people will look at it. i think it is too early to specify who we will select in what round so i will comment only in generalizations

Free agency:

Center: preferably bentley
Free safety
Kicker

dont need to go overboard, last year was our 'splurge' year
use the left over money to sign our guys like witten etc

Draft:

i believe any draft is a combination of team need and BPA and not either/or

so here goes in reasonable order

OG
LB
Corner
WR: likely any WR we draft will be #4 (unless a 1st rounder) and need to play ST
DT/NT
FB

these additions along with what we already have will set us up for a long time

all this of course assumes that bledsoe continues to perform at a superior level since i dont necessarily subscribe to the bus driver theory. brady is no bus driver.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
visionary said:
hi guys!!

i like to think of the team as a whole and as such the off season as a whole since that is how i think the coaches/personnel people will look at it. i think it is too early to specify who we will select in what round so i will comment only in generalizations

Free agency:

Free safety
Kicker

Draft:

OG
LB
Corner
WR: likely any WR we draft will be #4 (unless a 1st rounder) and need to play ST
DT/NT
FB

all this of course assumes that bledsoe continues to perform at a superior level since i dont necessarily subscribe to the bus driver theory. brady is no bus driver.

Post more - we will swing into draft talk more as offseason kicks in

Hiero

Reaction score
bentley is becoming my #1 fa target now. Would make a big difference instead of having to use two center's we have 1 pro bowl center.

visionary said:
hi guys!!

Free agency:

Free safety
Kicker

Draft:

OG
LB
Corner
DT/NT
FB

Reed

Reaction score
we can get a solid safety later in the draft and his name is anthony smith, hes from syracuse, they are 1-7 get no publicity and recognition. In the begining of year this guy was a top candidate for jim thorpe award. He has 5 ints so far and is 6-1 strong, could put some weight on though, and fast, look into him if you want a good safety drafted later, if he has a good combine and workout though he could go second round.

Hiero

Reaction score
Reed said:
we can get a solid safety later in the draft and his name is anthony smith, hes from syracuse, they are 1-7 get no publicity and recognition. In the begining of year this guy was a top candidate for jim thorpe award. He has 5 ints so far and is 6-1 strong, could put some weight on though, and fast, look into him if you want a good safety drafted later, if he has a good combine and workout though he could go second round.
sounds fine with me, as long as we get one guy like this somewhere along the line.

Hiero

Reaction score
What do you guys think of Santonio Holmes as a cowboy? The couple times ive seen him play hes a real playmaker and scores a lot of TD's. That one play he had the other day the 40 yard TD was pretty slick. I Love his quickness and speed, and he reminds me of Glenn except that he can do amazing things RAC.

Exactly the kind of young guy we would need opposite Crayton and the kind of guy who can help us score more td's instead of field goals, something i've been wanting to change for awhile and is just starting too this year. He's a bit small but i think Crayton is gonna be a good blocker though so itll be ok. He's currently my top choice along with a couple OT as first round pick.

He's gonna come out this year even though hes a junior. he has some kids to support so no way he passes up on the money.

CFan_53

Reaction score
I would love us to draft Elvis Dumerville from Louisville. He would be a perfect fit in the 3-4 as a linebacker.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Hiero said:
What do you guys think of Santonio Holmes as a cowboy? The couple times ive seen him play hes a real playmaker and scores a lot of TD's. That one play he had the other day the 40 yard TD was pretty slick. I Love his quickness and speed, and he reminds me of Glenn except that he can do amazing things RAC.

Exactly the kind of young guy we would need opposite Crayton and the kind of guy who can help us score more td's instead of field goals, something i've been wanting to change for awhile and is just starting too this year. He's a bit small but i think Crayton is gonna be a good blocker though so itll be ok. He's currently my top choice along with a couple OT as first round pick.

He's gonna come out this year even though hes a junior. he has some kids to support so no way he passes up on the money.

I agree with you Hiero. Holmes is a playmaker. I almost feel its a better comparison between Holmes and Steve Smith. Holmes is a bit taller though. I don't think Holmes will be as injury plagued as Glenn has unfortunately been. I also agree that he'd be my choice as a mid to late first round draft pick. But I don't really think he'll be available to us, but this year is as an example of anything can happen. I never thought we could land both Ware and Spears this past draft!!! :starspin

Hiero

Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy said:
I agree with you Hiero. Holmes is a playmaker. I almost feel its a better comparison between Holmes and Steve Smith. Holmes is a bit taller though. I don't think Holmes will be as injury plagued as Glenn has unfortunately been. I also agree that he'd be my choice as a mid to late first round draft pick. But I don't really think he'll be available to us, but this year is as an example of anything can happen. I never thought we could land both Ware and Spears this past draft!!! :starspin
yep, I think he will be available. I think hagan will be the first wr taken, but i just dont see many wr going first round. Nance, Hagan and Holmes will be the top candidates atm. Holmes could slide to our pick mid 20's and I would love to get him.