Dream: Pick one player (not QB) from any team that makes us an instant contender

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Wanna be sad?

Chris Jones went 3 selections after Jaylon Smith.
Wow didn't know that. Not only wasted a premium pick on him but gave him a contract he didn't deserve either. One of the worst cowboys ever. No good.

Last edited:

zeke21

Reaction score
Offence is just waiting on a QB.. and maybe you could add a real inside running threat at RB but that isn't likely to be a game changer.

Has to be an upgrade on defence.. and clearly run defence. Chris Jones is hard to go past.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Dream Scenario: Pick one player from any team (NOT A QB) that by adding that player makes us an instant contender and WHY? (This is just for fun…I know some of the guys below are under contract with other teams. Just having fun here)

For me, I would consider three players as candidates before making my final choice.
  • Candidate 1: Chiefs DT Chris Jones. First team All Pro. He represents everything we need on defense - a completely disruptive force on the LOS for defending the run and capable of also pressuring the QB. Offensive coordinators would immediately have to game plan for this guy and all he could do to disrupt their offensive game plan.
  • Candidate 2: Niners LB Fred Warner. A two time first team All Pro, Warner can do it all. An athletic LB big enough to stuff the run while also outstanding in coverage. He’s a physical monster who brings the wood every play.
  • Candidate 3: Lions OT Penai Sewell. A first team All Pro last year and still just 23 with huge upside. An excellent run blocker as well as pass blocker, he has already been a force on the lions excellent offense.
MY FINAL CHOICE: Chris Jones. As I stated above, he’s almost everything this defense desperately needs to finally be able to stop the run and control the LOS. And…he’s a FA.

Sadly, I doubt we have a chance, but he is exactly what this team needs most.
Who would you choose and WHY?
Fred Warner

leeblair

Reaction score
Dream Scenario: Pick one player from any team (NOT A QB) that by adding that player makes us an instant contender and WHY? (This is just for fun…I know some of the guys below are under contract with other teams. Just having fun here)

For me, I would consider three players as candidates before making my final choice.
  • Candidate 1: Chiefs DT Chris Jones. First team All Pro. He represents everything we need on defense - a completely disruptive force on the LOS for defending the run and capable of also pressuring the QB. Offensive coordinators would immediately have to game plan for this guy and all he could do to disrupt their offensive game plan.
  • Candidate 2: Niners LB Fred Warner. A two time first team All Pro, Warner can do it all. An athletic LB big enough to stuff the run while also outstanding in coverage. He’s a physical monster who brings the wood every play.
  • Candidate 3: Lions OT Penai Sewell. A first team All Pro last year and still just 23 with huge upside. An excellent run blocker as well as pass blocker, he has already been a force on the lions excellent offense.
MY FINAL CHOICE: Chris Jones. As I stated above, he’s almost everything this defense desperately needs to finally be able to stop the run and control the LOS. And…he’s a FA.

Sadly, I doubt we have a chance, but he is exactly what this team needs most.
Who would you choose and WHY?
If you can't change the quarterback, no other player will make a difference.
We went through this with Garrett; no player could overcome his lack of leadership at the head coach position.
Now we don't have a capable quarterback.
These are the two positions that must be solid to win. It's ironic that we had a quarterback, but not a coach; now we have a coach, but not a quarterback.
We have Garrett 2.0 playing quarterback.

Hardline

Reaction score
There isn't one non QB that would make us an instant contender.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
As a few people noted, there isn't one player that would make us an instant contender. But if it's just for one year, 1st team All-Pros Trent Williams and Jason Kelce makes our line a lot better.

GoldenR

Reaction score
There's only 32 starting QBs. Of those, only 1 is elite and a game changer. Outside that person, no one can change a team around.
Uhh, Dak was a game changer for the Packers. Does that count.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I understand that Christian Mac is great. With all respect to you guys though, without a huge upgrade in the beast positions- DT, LB and OL, skill position guys won’t help us enough IMO.
I would go DT or LB but you mentioned those.

btgboys41

Reaction score
Lane Johnson would be my choice but there’s not a player that could make that huge a difference.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm not sure one player can make us an instant contender. We need at least a couple top FAs, maybe three or four if we want to reach the big game. All in for me would be improving running back, DT (possibly both DT spots), right defensive end and middle linebacker. That would allow us to address center and wide receiver in the draft, although I'm certainly not opposed to improving those two spots in FA.

AyeAtey

Reaction score
Agreed...Jones.

Been chasing a player of that caliber for some time now,

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure one player can make us an instant contender. We need at least a couple top FAs, maybe three or four if we want to reach the big game. All in for me would be improving running back, DT (possibly both DT spots), right defensive end and middle linebacker. That would allow us to address center and wide receiver in the draft, although I'm certainly not opposed to improving those two spots in FA.
I agree with you and others that one player doesn’t make us an instant contender. But if we could add one that would have biggest impact, who would it be? I didn’t include QB because we all know Jerry’s not changing our QB scene so didn’t want to even talk about it. It’s already such a tired subject.