Dream: Pick one player (not QB) from any team that makes us an instant contender

RoboQB

Reaction score
There's not a non-QB player in the league that can overcome
poor QB play against a playoff contender.
You can shut down a RB, WR, TE. You can double and triple team a pass rusher. You can stay away from a DB.
The one thing you can't do is hide a weak QB against an elite team.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I agree with you and others that one player doesn’t make us an instant contender. But if we could add one that would have biggest impact, who would it be? I didn’t include QB because we all know Jerry’s not changing our QB scene so didn’t want to even talk about it. It’s already such a tired subject.
One of the quality 3-techs would have to be the priority: Jones, Christian Wilkins, Justin Madubuike ... even Leonard Williams would be a better option than what we've had at the position although he doesn't move the needle as much as the others. Outside of that, maybe an NT like DJ Reader. (Ideally, we'd get Reader and a top 3-tech.) The 1-tech wouldn't have as much of an impact as one of the 3-techs, so 3-tech needs to be at the top of the list after years of neglecting it or trying to fill it with players who weren't capable of being the type of player you need there.

Although I think we need to get a veteran running back and linebacker, too, just fixing those two spots would go a long way toward making this team a contender ... if we don't lose ground at other positions.

cald0d30s0

Reaction score
Can we pick a GM?

I don't think any player (Non QB) would make us contender.

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
I don't think ONE player on D can change us, maybe Jones or Garrett.

I will then suggest 2 others to really change the O......Jefferson or Chase. 1 of them paired with Lamb would be fun to watch.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
  • Roquan Smith - LB {B. Ravens}
  • David Montgomery - RB {D. Lions}
  • Vita Vea - NT/DT {TB. Buccs}
In a dream scenario, I'd love to have all three guys join the Cowboys, but if I had to pick one: Vita Vea {the monster nose tackle} for the Bucs, stopped the Eagles "tush push" twice in one game in the playoff. He's 6'4" and weighs 350lb.**

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
There's not a non-QB player in the league that can overcome
poor QB play against a playoff contender.
You can shut down a RB, WR, TE. You can double and triple team a pass rusher. You can stay away from a DB.
The one thing you can't do is hide a weak QB against an elite team.
Go Lamar Jackson as a RB. Put both he and Dak on the field as dual QB/RB....Dak may have to bulk up as his running plays are the 'up the middle type'. It's a formula which would/could trouble the 9ers Blueprint.

cristglo

Reaction score
Jones would be my choice but I feel KC will tag him if they have to but man that would be sweet

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What player can come in here and make your QB being one of the worst players on the field in the postseason irrelevant?

The answer is nobody. If you want to be a real contender you have to have a real QB.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Dream Scenario: Pick one player from any team (NOT A QB) that by adding that player makes us an instant contender and WHY? (This is just for fun…I know some of the guys below are under contract with other teams. Just having fun here)

For me, I would consider three players as candidates before making my final choice.
  • Candidate 1: Chiefs DT Chris Jones. First team All Pro. He represents everything we need on defense - a completely disruptive force on the LOS for defending the run and capable of also pressuring the QB. Offensive coordinators would immediately have to game plan for this guy and all he could do to disrupt their offensive game plan.
  • Candidate 2: Niners LB Fred Warner. A two time first team All Pro, Warner can do it all. An athletic LB big enough to stuff the run while also outstanding in coverage. He’s a physical monster who brings the wood every play.
  • Candidate 3: Lions OT Penai Sewell. A first team All Pro last year and still just 23 with huge upside. An excellent run blocker as well as pass blocker, he has already been a force on the lions excellent offense.
MY FINAL CHOICE: Chris Jones. As I stated above, he’s almost everything this defense desperately needs to finally be able to stop the run and control the LOS. And…he’s a FA.

Sadly, I doubt we have a chance, but he is exactly what this team needs most.
Who would you choose and WHY?
This exercise is an insult to what Jerrah has built.
We like our guys.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dream Scenario: Pick one player from any team (NOT A QB) that by adding that player makes us an instant contender and WHY? (This is just for fun…I know some of the guys below are under contract with other teams. Just having fun here)

For me, I would consider three players as candidates before making my final choice.
  • Candidate 1: Chiefs DT Chris Jones. First team All Pro. He represents everything we need on defense - a completely disruptive force on the LOS for defending the run and capable of also pressuring the QB. Offensive coordinators would immediately have to game plan for this guy and all he could do to disrupt their offensive game plan.
  • Candidate 2: Niners LB Fred Warner. A two time first team All Pro, Warner can do it all. An athletic LB big enough to stuff the run while also outstanding in coverage. He’s a physical monster who brings the wood every play.
  • Candidate 3: Lions OT Penai Sewell. A first team All Pro last year and still just 23 with huge upside. An excellent run blocker as well as pass blocker, he has already been a force on the lions excellent offense.
MY FINAL CHOICE: Chris Jones. As I stated above, he’s almost everything this defense desperately needs to finally be able to stop the run and control the LOS. And…he’s a FA.

Sadly, I doubt we have a chance, but he is exactly what this team needs most.
Who would you choose and WHY?
Quinnen Williams

Redline360

Reaction score
Chris Jones could have argurably been the superbowl mvp if it wasnt for the OT drive by Mahomes.

He easily saved two TDs by pressuring Purdy a nano second before he could hit open recievers in the endzone.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
the answer is no one for several reasons, it’s going to take several players, and we don’t have the cap room to sign the type of players it would take, because we’re too committed to paying Dak, Parsons, CeeDee, Diggs, and some others.