Eagles trade for RB Jordan Howard

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't think their OL is that great. Arguably their best player is recovering from a torn Achilles, and their left tackle is 110 and injury prone nowadays.

I would say the happiest player on the Eagles is Carson Wentz. He's got his LeGarrette Blount back in Howard. Last time they had a back the caliber of Howard Wentz was on his way to league MVP. He's not the typical back the Eagles usually use so I expect them to draft a guy like Montgomery somewhere in the first few rounds.

I do agree with, or without Howard we need to continue bolstering our DT position. Making teams one-dimensional go a long way to having a great defense.

Their OL is pretty good. Their RT is one of the best in the league, their center is one of the best in the league and despite being old, their LT still can play just a bit. If Brooks is healthy, and there is no reason to think he's not, their OL will be good again.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
how so? he is no change of pace to zeke. he's just worse at everything.
I actually LOLed at this.

I think Howard could make some sense as a depth guy, who can give you a high volume of carries and tough, short yardage carries if Zeke goes down, not a complimentary back. He'd fit in a backfield with Zeke and a receiving back.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I had a dream last night.

We traded Lawrence for a late first and a 4th.

We signed Ansah for much cheaper than Lawrence.

We flipped a future 6th for Gerald McCoy

DE - Ansah, Taco
DT - Collins, Crawford
DT - McCoy, Woods
DE - Quinn, Armstrong

Try to run on that Howard.
Well considering you just traded our best run defender and have our two best run defenders at their positions as backups, I think he'd be fine.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think our FA this year is over. Or at least until after the draft.
that means its NOT over lol dont contradict yourself..lots of player releases still to come especially guys that were on the trading block but never happened..the FO stated they would like a vet as RB2 that can actually spell zeke without big drop off..so thats still on the table IMO

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
The problem with this is that just looking at yards doesn't tell the story. His total yards have gone down each year and his ypc average has fallen off the map from 5.2 his rookie year to 3.7 last year.

I dont think he's claiming that Howard is the 3rd best over th also the last three years. But for me a 24 year old that has accomplished that over the last three years is without a doubt worth a 6th rounder.

And he has the 3rd most yards over that time frame despite his attempts being the 11th most in 2016, 5th most in '17, and 6th most in 2018.

joseephuss

Reaction score
In 2015, there were a few people on this site that said Dallas should have drafted Jeremy Langford who was drafted by the Bears. Then in 2016 they said Dallas should have drafted Jordan Howard who was also drafted by the Bears. Now the Bears have neither guy.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
jordan howard is just a guy who runs through holes. Considering that the Eagles lacked guys who could do even that last year, its an upgrade. Big upgrade? No.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
jordan howard is just a guy who runs through holes. Considering that the Eagles lacked guys who could do even that last year, its an upgrade. Big upgrade? No.
Having the 3rd most yards after contact over the last three years kinda debunks that, dontcha think?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I liked Howard coming out of college. Thought he was a really good 4th round pick. Kinda similar to murray in how he runs. He will do well with the eagles except when we stomp them twice a year.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Having the 3rd most yards after contact over the last three years kinda debunks that, dontcha think?

No, that just means he gets hit before he can get going and he's getting a lot of carries. It's a flawed statistic. It doesn't tell you if the guy is a monster tackle breaker or he just gets hit a lot as soon as he gets the ball because he's got no wiggle or his line sucks. For example, looking at 2018 - Jordan Howard ranked 15th in the NFL in yards after contact, but only broke NINE tackles all year, which ranks him somewhere in the 40s amongst NFL running backs. Does that sound like a guy that does well after contact? No. It just sounds like a guy who gets hit early and doesn't do a good job getting out of it.

Here's a better way to look at Jordan Howard.

Jordan-Howard-Yards-768x432.png

Yards per rush before/after contact. If you look at his numbers this way, you'll see that he's roughly the same guy after contact each year. But he's not very elusive and his line hasn't always been the best which is why his yards before contact haven't been very good. And by the way, his 2.7-ish average of Yards after Contact in this 3 year span isn't elite, or even really good. It's just OK.

Last edited:

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
No, that just means he gets hit before he can get going and he's getting a lot of carries. It's a flawed statistic. It doesn't tell you if the guy is a monster tackle breaker or he just gets hit a lot as soon as he gets the ball because he's got no wiggle or his line sucks. For example, looking at 2018 - Jordan Howard ranked 15th in the NFL in yards after contact, but only broke NINE tackles all year, which ranks him somewhere in the 40s amongst NFL running backs. Does that sound like a guy that does well after contact? No. It just sounds like a guy who gets hit early and doesn't do a good job getting out of it.
I've already stated that he's been between 12th-5th most carries all three years, so it's obviously not due to just volume for him being 3rd highest.

Yards after contact tells you he's getting hit before he can get going? That makes absolutely no sense.

Site your source on your broken tackle stats