Twitter: Earl out here teasing us

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reasons I don't want him are the same reasons the Cowboys will keep their powder dry for now. He'll be there later in the year if Woods doesn't work out. We go to Seattle week 3, maybe we come back with him. Acquiring him now is just a "no go".

What’s about those reasons has changed between now and the draft when they reportedly were ready to flip a two had Williams not been there? Woods was on the roster already. Cap space hasn’t changed enough to matter.

They’d acquire him now in a heartbeat if the compensation was right. The reality is, we don’t know enough about what’s being asked for to have any idea how far apart all three sides are right now at all. All we really know is that his status in SEA isn’t definite.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He was second team in 2017. Literally one of the top 4 safeties in the game last season. And look at the tape, it was legit, not a reputation selection

Ok. 2nd team establishes a high level. I still don't think it establishes a top contract, given his age, but that's significantly better than "squeeked onto a Pro Bowl after 5 guys declined to show up".

jay94

Reaction score
Were about as weak at safety as we are wr, we need some talent infusion to go anywhere.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He'll end up here ans will eat a lot of our cap space but we're not spending a bunch of draft picks on him. JJ hasn't wasted major draft picks since the Roy Wlliams trade. It took him 20 years but he learned how the league works. In the words of Lindsay Buckinham:

That's what makes it really hard. Seattle is assured of getting a 3rd as a comp pick, and his contract is probably discounted relative to market value (8.5), so they have little incentive to rush him out the door.

I've heard people trying to talk themselves into Seattle being in a big desperate hurry to get a pick next year instead of the following year, but I'm just not buying it.

And I'm not buying that we want to give up a 2nd for the right to pay Thomas a free agent contract, when we could just wait a year and do it then.

Comp picks really discourage trades. They set a floor as long as the guy doesn't have a bad contract.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
What’s about those reasons has changed between now and the draft when they reportedly were ready to flip a two had Williams not been there? Woods was on the roster already. Cap space hasn’t changed enough to matter.

They’d acquire him now in a heartbeat if the compensation was right. The reality is, we don’t know enough about what’s being asked for to have any idea how far apart all three sides are right now at all. All we really know is that his status in SEA isn’t definite.
LOL, are you actually trying to make the case that something that didn't happen(trading a two for ET) is evidence it's going to happen? Dallas didn't trade for ET because they didn't want him bad enough and nothing has changed about that. I know enough to know Woods will get his training camp try out at safety and that will affect the Cowboys decision on ET.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Just give them next years #2. Its going to be a low 2 anyway.
not no but HELL NO. Anything above a 3rd is too much. Draft picks are too valuable. Most I would do is a 3rd and a player. Seattle is in a tough spot. They need to avoid the distractions and either extend him,or trade him. Earl gonna get paid no matter what happens.

aikemirv

Reaction score
not no but HELL NO. Anything above a 3rd is too much. Draft picks are too valuable. Most I would do is a 3rd and a player. Seattle is in a tough spot. They need to avoid the distractions and either extend him,or trade him. Earl gonna get paid no matter what happens.

I agree, if I thought he was the one player that we needed to make a Super Bowl run it might make some sense but otherwise it is a very expensive 1 year rental.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I agree, if I thought he was the one player that we needed to make a Super Bowl run it might make some sense but otherwise it is a very expensive 1 year rental.
agree..PLUS I think due to his age and injury history, I feel he has just 2 solid years left playing at an elite level. That being said, no way do I want to give up resources that are premium for a 2 year starter. As much as I like Earl and want him here, the price has to be right. Honestly, I think he's looking at retirement and that final payday(contract),which is why he wants to come home so to speak. I would be leary of expecting anything more than 2 good years from him. I just don't wanna revert back to being "the raiders east" lol...meaning signing over priced,over hyped over the hill players..or players that are about to be retired. Its just too risky.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
It just business. I'm sure his agent is advising him.
He's not the first and won't be the last to look out for his future.

Your comment suggested he was a locker room cancer.
Everything I've read tells me he's a model teammate.
I was hoping you'd enlighten me with a story to the contrary.
Look what guys on this team have done to the locker room with this tactic. It creates division and a persona of being greater than the guy next to you. A young team trying to find its own identity doesn’t need this type of leadership or lack there of. When guys do this in any sport it is hardcore proof they really aren’t a team guy and it’s all me me me me attitude. I don’t think he is that special anymore and don’t want a personality like that on this young team. It’s not like he is getting paid chump change right now.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Look what guys on this team have done to the locker room with this tactic. It creates division and a persona of being greater than the guy next to you. A young team trying to find its own identity doesn’t need this type of leadership or lack there of. When guys do this in any sport it is hardcore proof they really aren’t a team guy and it’s all me me me me attitude. I don’t think he is that special anymore and don’t want a personality like that on this young team. It’s not like he is getting paid chump change right now.
I don’t agree with him holding out over the contract that he signed. And is gonna pay him 8.5 million in his last year. If he wants a extension then ask. But contract negotiations I can understand. Every player wants to get all he can. Would like to know his current status with him and his teammates in the locker room.

Rayman70

Reaction score
What we need on the back end of the defense is that alpha dog dude. Lee is that guy for the linebackers..but its simply not good enough. Got to have that QB of the db group. We haven't found that guy as of yet.Unless a guy emerges in camp. As great as I think Kris Richard is for our db's...he still needs a dominant guy at safety to implement his scheme and get the guys on the same page. Do we have that in house or is the answer ET? My gut tells me, we better get some insurance in one ET. Worth every penny if we get him for the short term and at the right price.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I would trade for ET...give up no more than a 3rd and a player to be named. Then sign him to a 2 year deal that has a team option for a 3rd year. I would make that 3rd year incentive laden. Otherwise I see Seattle getting nothing at all in return for him.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL, are you actually trying to make the case that something that didn't happen(trading a two for ET) is evidence it's going to happen? Dallas didn't trade for ET because they didn't want him bad enough and nothing has changed about that. I know enough to know Woods will get his training camp try out at safety and that will affect the Cowboys decision on ET.

I’m making the case that something that reportedly happened (Cowboys expressing serious interest in a trade for ET during the draft) is evidence that that same thing might still be the case.

Dallas’ interest level doesn’t need to change at all if what SEA is willing to accept in trade changes. And what SEA is willing to accept in trade could legitimately change as a result of ET’s holdout.

At some point it might be worth it to them to make the trade and move on.

JustChip

Reaction score

Agree 100%. Who knows, our 2nd next year could end up being a top 1/2 of the 2nd pick (I hope not) which is way too rich (and ET isn't won't be the difference between us picking top or bottom 1/2 of round 2). Seattle has the pressure on them; it's like they have a call option on a stock, they have the market AND time working against them. Sure, they can hold and get a compensatory pick next year, but it'll only be a high comp pick if they don't sign any free agents. Now, Seattle's bargaining power can improved dramatically if we get into TC and the serious injury bug hits.

Last edited:

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I am convinced this is going to happen. The fact that Dallas has done nothing at the position and Thomas is now doing things to force Seattle’s hand tells me that it close to happening and probably has been for a while. There is probably just one sticking point which it Seattle demanding a 2nd round pick and Thomas is getting a little frustrated. He now seems to be doing things to force them to trade him. It makes no sense to me for the team to be sitting on $10 million in cap space with upgrade options at safety available and they do nothing. The only thing I can figure is they believe ET to Dallas is still very much on the table and are just waiting for camp to start to see if he actually holds out and forces Seattle to make the deal.