Twitter: Earl out here teasing us

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
SEA has his rights and he wants an expensive deal at 29. Its most likely he plays out this year and tests free agency.

I’d say the second most likely outcome is a trade to Dallas, though.

Almost certainly the first. Top safety free agent money for an older, declining player, *and* a second round pick. It's just a horrible deal for the Cowboys.

Wait a year, and we keep our 2nd (or 3rd), and Thomas sees what his true market value is. Like a lot of players past their prime, Thomas doesn't see it yet and believes he is still tops, while the league thinks otherwise. His price comes down significantly next year.

And we don't even have that big a need at FS. Heath rated better than average, and the team seems to have confidence in Woods. We've got a lot of better things to do with the money Thomas could cost.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
If Earl Thomas continues to hold out in Seattle, there's no reason the Cowboys can't deal a 3rd round pick in 2019 for him that can turn into a 2nd rounder if he makes the Pro Bowl or a certain number of interceptions; etc..

As for the financial aspect of it, I say why not? The Cowboys have $14.8 million of cap room right now and around $50 million next season. They can easily absorb Thomas' $8.5 million salary of 2018.

When it comes to Thomas' contract, Dallas can front-load it. Pay him the bulk of his money over the next two or three years. That way, if they have to, they can release him in, say, 2020 or 2021 with little cap ramifications. I know it's probably more difficult than that, but the fact remains Thomas wants to be a Cowboy. From his Texas roots, to the presence of Kris Richard on the staff, it just makes too much sense.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Almost certainly the first. Top safety free agent money for an older, declining player, *and* a second round pick. It's just a horrible deal for the Cowboys.

Wait a year, and we keep our 2nd (or 3rd), and Thomas sees what his true market value is. Like a lot of players past their prime, Thomas doesn't see it yet and believes he is still tops, while the league thinks otherwise. His price comes down significantly next year.

And we don't even have that big a need at FS. Heath rated better than average, and the team seems to have confidence in Woods. We've got a lot of better things to do with the money Thomas could cost.

Thomas isn't just another safety, he's a proven all-pro. A couple years back the Cowboys almost made a play for Eric Weddle but passed for the same reasons you just listed. And Weddle is still balling out for the Ravens.

And by trading for him now, the Cowboys have time to get him signed to a deal to their liking without facing competition from the rest of the league, which is what will happen if they wait for him to hit free agency.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
As for the financial aspect of it, I say why not?

Because it's a capped league and the name of the game is getting value for every dollar. When the argument is "we've got tons of money, so why not?", you've conceded we're not getting value for our dollars.

And it's not a tiny number of dollars we're not getting value on, it's a big number, and it comes with a quality draft pick.

Such a bad deal.

"We've got the money to blow" doesn't change that.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Likely not better, but I'm not sure it made us worse either.

800 yards receiving is not a lot to have to replace.
Replacing someone who defenders doubled is harder to replace than you're giving it credit for.

And don't tell me Dez faced single coverage mostly. It's simply not true and there is a defensive coordinator on record having said exactly that.

Nevermind the cascading effects of your other wrs now facing incrementally tougher CBs (Williams/Hurns face number 1s instead or number 2s etc).

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Thomas isn't just another safety, he's a proven all-pro.
And by trading for him now, the Cowboys have time to get him signed to a deal to their liking without facing competition from the rest of the league, which is what will happen if they wait for him to hit free agency.

Last time Thomas was an All Pro was 2014. It's 2018.

As for competition in free agency for Thomas, that's what I'm counting on. He'll quickly find out no team in the league thinks he is worth near the top safety contract.

Dre11

Reaction score
Nope it's based on facts and you know it. He is Seattle's version of Jay Ratliff. Let's bring in a whinny vet who is unhappy with his current contract and sits out. No thanks and no way does that bring a positive veteran presence into the lock room. Not to mention he is on the downside of his career. Save the money and pay DLawrence.

Where’s the facts, the guy never been a problem in the locker room, is known to be a leader, a great locker room guy, and he’s still a high level safety. Your bs is empty of facts.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Because it's a capped league and the name of the game is getting value for every dollar. When the argument is "we've got tons of money, so why not?", you've conceded we're not getting value for our dollars.

And it's not a tiny number of dollars we're not getting value on, it's a big number, and it comes with a quality draft pick.

Such a bad deal.

"We've got the money to blow" doesn't change that.

You are right. I cannot argue with your points, but....

My point is this- by all accounts Earl Thomas is still one of the best two or three safeties playing today and he still has a few years left at his current level of effectiveness. The Cowboys are operating in a window when they don't have to pay their quarterback the kind of money they gave Tony Romo back in 2013.

This is a chance to add a true gamechanger to a defense that's already a lot better than people think. A two or three year "rental" on Thomas, even if it costs a second round pick, may be one of the missing pieces that brings this franchise Lombardi Trophy number six. That chance is worth the cost; and even that can be managed if Dallas gets creative with his contract.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Last time Thomas was an All Pro was 2014. It's 2018.

As for competition in free agency for Thomas, that's what I'm counting on. He'll quickly find out no team in the league thinks he is worth near the top safety contract.
He was second team in 2017. Literally one of the top 4 safeties in the game last season. And look at the tape, it was legit, not a reputation selection

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Replacing someone who defenders doubled is harder to replace than you're giving it credit for.

And don't tell me Dez faced single coverage mostly. It's simply not true and there is a defensive coordinator on record having said exactly that.

Nevermind the cascading effects of your other wrs now facing incrementally tougher CBs (Williams/Hurns face number 1s instead or number 2s etc).

Sorry, I don't think it's a big loss. And neither does the rest of the league who hasn't lined up to sign him.

I didn't like the timing of when they did it, but I can see why they did it.

And if it leads to less 50-50 passes to him in the red zone? We may even come out ahead.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I must've missed something along the way. I've never heard of Thomas acting like a whiny vet or locker room cancer
(as you said earlier). Do you have any examples of this to refresh my memory?

My thinking was that he'd be like a coach on the field if he came here. I've never heard anything negative about him.
Unless, you don't like fierce competitors on the team.

I don't expect it to happen anyway. He'll be in Seattle this year and we get to do this all over again next year.
That's my guess.
What do you think he is doing now by sitting out.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Where’s the facts, the guy never been a problem in the locker room, is known to be a leader, a great locker room guy, and he’s still a high level safety. Your bs is empty of facts.
He’s a whiner at the end of his career who is under contract yet sitting out. A good leader shows up to work when he is supposed to imo. He doesn’t need to come to this young team setting that type of an example, five years ago heck yeah now nope. Again use his money on a young guy like Lawrence.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure, they can franchise tag him, and pay him more than they're unwilling to pay him in an extension. That's sure to happen.

Really? Maybe at one point in time, but that ship has sailed, or in their case, sunk.

They're now reduced to having traded away future draft picks for questionable returns. See Sheldon Richardson and Duane Brown. One is already gone and the other is in the last year of his contract.

Meanwhile, they gave away Michael Bennett, cut Richard Sherman for no return and watched him sign in division, and saw Jimmy Graham leave along with plenty of others. Oh, and Avril and Chancellor are both done with injuries too.

Things are going swimmingly for Seattle...

Better to have "lost it" than to never have had it. lol . Thanx for giving me the easy task of defending Seattle here. There is no comparison. Garret and Carrol started at basically the same time in 2010. Carrol has won 14 playoff games and appeared in 2 super bowls winning one. Garret has ............. a wild card win and 2 divisional round playoff losses over the same period. Seattle and Carrol have been FAR more successful than Dallas. Not even close.

So, Seattle cut bait with the overpaid or injured veterans. Thats what the better franchises in the NFL do when they see the ceiling for a particular group has been reached. At least they have an organizational plan with proven results. Dallas is still wading through a fog of uncertainty trying to recapture the magic of 1995.

As for franchising thomas, its about leverage. He's almost 30. Why would they give him an extension when they can rent him for 2 more years? If he wants to walk when he's pushing 33, i'm sure they'll wish him luck.

Last edited:

RoboQB

Reaction score
What do you think he is doing now by sitting out.

It just business. I'm sure his agent is advising him.
He's not the first and won't be the last to look out for his future.

Your comment suggested he was a locker room cancer.
Everything I've read tells me he's a model teammate.
I was hoping you'd enlighten me with a story to the contrary.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Earl is holding out for a trade....he’s played his last down for the Hags.

IMO Dallas will finalize a trade by the second week of TC and will overpay. It will be a Jerry move and put an arse load of pressure on the team.

I think it’s best to wait until next offseason to bring him on. An additional year of developing our current safeties is for the best if the alternative means giving up premium draft picks.

The first sentence...Earl isn't going to sit on his couch and by pass $8.5 million if no trade happens.

Second and third sentence...I'm afraid you may be right but really hope you're wrong.

Fourth and fifth sentence...amen.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It’s speculation for a reason. And the reason is that it’s a possibility. Acknowledging that is not “insisting on feeding the speculation.”

What I don’t get is why you keep pretending it’s impossible for anything to happen here prior to the start of training camp for a player who’s holding out and apparently actively lobbying to be here.
Because at this point ET would just be a progress stopper to Xman Woods. Woods will get a chance in the preseason to prove they don't need to waste resources on ET. Woods won't disappoint.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Better to have "lost it" than to never have had it. lol . Thanx for giving me the easy task of defending Seattle here.

And thank you for apparently being unable to read. I said "at one point in time" they did it better. And I'll reiterate - that ship has sailed. Their drafts, trades and their free agency moves have been poor for the past several years.

There is no comparison. Garret and Carrol started at basically the same time in 2010. Carrol has won 14 playoff games and appeared in 2 super bowls winning one. Garret has ............. a wild card win and 2 divisional round playoff losses over the same period. Seattle and Carrol have been FAR more successful than Dallas. Not even close.

I'm the last guy that will try to defend Garrett, but I will defend the drafts, signings and trades that the Cowboys have made vs the Seahawks for the past two to three years. Like I clearly indicated in my post, at one time Seattle was much better. That time has passed.

So, Seattle cut bait with the overpaid or injured veterans. Thats what the better franchises in the NFL do when they see the ceiling for a particular group has been reached. At least they have an organizational plan with proven results. Dallas is still wading through a fog of uncertainty trying to recapture the magic of 1995.

They had a plan. And now it's over. Just like any hopes that they will win anything.

As for franchising thomas, its about leverage. He's almost 30. Why would they give him an extension when they can rent him for 2 more years? If he wants to walk when he's pushing 33, i'm sure they'll wish him luck.

Why would they franchise tag a safety while they're rebuilding? It makes zero sense. You're grasping at straws to try to support a failed argument.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I live in Seattle and everything I’ve read and heard on sports radio (it’s non-stop Hawks talk when the season is on) says Seattle and their GM believe they are re-tooling, not rebuilding. I don’t see Earl ending up here, at least not this year.
THATS what Seattle should say. It doesn't mean anything. When you have the player losses they have, ITS A REBUILD.