Twitter: Earl out here teasing us

Rayman70

Reaction score
I doubt Dallas is likely to bite on what Seattle wants and what Earl wants as a contract also. I'll be fine going with Xavier Woods.
Woods is an unknown. That's a scary proposition. Great upside, but I dunno, if the price is right, I rather have ET paired with Woods,with Heath being that rotational safety..or dime package guy. I think Woods works if he can start alongside ET and learn on the fly from Thomas.

J12B

Reaction score
The most important question whether to trade for him now or wait until FA next year is if having him this year vaults us to SB contention. No doubt he makes a positive difference in this D, but does he alone make us a SB contender? I'm not so sure. Another year of good drafting and then signing him FA makes more sense than giving up a premium pick (and a 3rd is premium) to have him this year. Plus, he's not played a full season the past 2 seasons, including hammie issues, so you have another season to see if it's an ongoing issue due to age. Now, if you had a crystal ball and could guarantee we win the SB this year with him, I'd be willing to trade a 1st to get him.

Right now, I believe this front office believes they have pieces together a team that is a Superbowl contender, which is why they aren't actively pursuing a trade and rather, just let things play out.

I agree the most that should be given up is a 3rd round pick....although I would be open to trading a 2020 conditional pick that correlates with his production if that would get the deal done.

glimmerman

Reaction score
if we wait we risk 2 things. One, ET will be a year older. SECONDLY, there is no guarantee he wont sign an extension with Seattle.Meaning, we lose out on him altogether. Waiting isn't an option. Seattle is backed into a corner. Something will happen soon with camps opening up.
He could just play his last year and collect his terrible pay of 8.5 million. He will be a year older but barring injury will be roughly the same. Will be a FA and we get him then. Unless one of our Safties emerge. Seems like the staff thinks they will. I am on the fence about anything we have being as good as ET.

JustChip

Reaction score
if we wait we risk 2 things. One, ET will be a year older. SECONDLY, there is no guarantee he wont sign an extension with Seattle.Meaning, we lose out on him altogether. Waiting isn't an option. Seattle is backed into a corner. Something will happen soon with camps opening up.
He'll be a year older next year whether we trade for him this year or sign him next year. And, true, he could sign an extension with Seattle this year, but that's IF Seattle wants to sign him. No one knows for sure whether they really want to. But waiting a year gives Dallas another year to ascertain whether his recent injuries are an anomaly or a sign of Father Time. It'll be interesting to see the response if we do trade for him, sign him to a big extension, and he doesn't play a full year because of injury. He would essentially be another Sean Lee if that's the case and there is much handwringing over Lee's fragility.

But to be clear, I'm jiggy with trading for him if it's at most for a 3rd, maybe do a 4th with an escalation to a 3rd if he plays all 16 games.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
He’s not whining, he told them his demands as he should in the last year of a contract. It’s no different than any other player. He’ll come to this team as a great leader. He’s handling his business side and that’s part of the nfl.
He’s a whiner and quitting on his team.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I agree. Yes it’s very selfish in a team sport. If it’s your first big contract after the rookie deal then I better understand, that’s where a lot of stars of the game make a big chunk. Prime earning years. If your not a high 1st rounder then the rookie deal is peanuts compared to what other big time players are making. So that second deal is important. Dez did it and we just went through it with one of our O-Linemen. They didn’t hold out and most don’t because teams are anxious to get it done.

That second contract maybe tricky. Sometimes they throw money at you if your still playing at a high level and they love you. ET has only played for the seahags and has already made 47 million. Will have made 55 if he plays for his 8.5 this year. So yeah I think it’s selfish on his part. I do think he knows this last deal will be his last deal and he is a huge Cowboys fan and wants to end his career with us. But he also wants to make too dollar in the mean while (can’t blame him for that).

I could take him or leave him. I know he would be a great pick up and player for our secondary and would help our young players in a scheme being set up by his own secondary coach from seahags. Not so much as a example. He maybe a good team mate but look at what he did in front of his own team after the game we played. He chances our HC in the tunnel and tells him to come get him. He didn’t know his secondary coach was coming to work for us. He was already setting up to try to come here knowing he was only gonna get a measly 8.5 mil this year.
Agree 100% and those reasons you list are just more examples why I don’t like the guy. Besides he clearly is on the decline and 8.5 is way too much for a me first player like him.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
See what you did @Idgit? These fools think there is a real chance ET will be in Oxnard in 2 weeks at TC with our 'Boys. I blame you when everyone get's disapointed. It didn't have to be that way. Xavier Woods is about to become a superstar in this league as a topnotch safety. After this happens, I'll remember you didn't want to even give him chance.

Rayman70

Reaction score
He'll be a year older next year whether we trade for him this year or sign him next year. And, true, he could sign an extension with Seattle this year, but that's IF Seattle wants to sign him. No one knows for sure whether they really want to. But waiting a year gives Dallas another year to ascertain whether his recent injuries are an anomaly or a sign of Father Time. It'll be interesting to see the response if we do trade for him, sign him to a big extension, and he doesn't play a full year because of injury. He would essentially be another Sean Lee if that's the case and there is much handwringing over Lee's fragility.

But to be clear, I'm jiggy with trading for him if it's at most for a 3rd, maybe do a 4th with an escalation to a 3rd if he plays all 16 games.
AGREE,but yet ANOTHER year of gambling on the safety position? That sounds like what we have been doing for like 20 years now lol. I dunno,but its worth a trade for ET if the asking price becomes reasonable. What that does is buy us some time for our younger db's. Its not a bad thing having a great team leader,proven player and SB winner in your secondary. Even if only for 2-3 years,I would at least try 1 last time to offer a 3rd for him. All they can say is no. Just don't wanna put all our eggs into the Xavier Woods basket just yet. Its a gigantic leap pf faith to do so.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
See what you did @Idgit? These fools think there is a real chance ET will be in Oxnard in 2 weeks at TC with our 'Boys. I blame you when everyone get's disapointed. It didn't have to be that way. Xavier Woods is about to become a superstar in this league as a topnotch safety. After this happens, I'll remember you didn't want to even give him chance.

All I’ve ever said is that it’s a realistic but unlikely possibility for ET to end up here. I’ve never suggested we have to have him.

I would be very interested in him at the right price. And he’ll end up a much, much better player than Xavier Woods will be when it’s all said and done.

I like Woods, though. We do need to add another S who can give us starts in a pinch, though.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I doubt Dallas is likely to bite on what Seattle wants and what Earl wants as a contract also. I'll be fine going with Xavier Woods.

Anyone fine with Woods when ET is an option might as well just proclaim they are fine with just being average

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
All I’ve ever said is that it’s a realistic but unlikely possibility for ET to end up here. I’ve never suggested we have to have him.

I would be very interested in him at the right price. And he’ll end up a much, much better player than Xavier Woods will be when it’s all said and done.

I like Woods, though. We do need to add another S who can give us starts in a pinch, though.
Thank you for putting that on the record, my friend. I WILL be referring to it when ET is still a Seahawk when the season starts. So just get ready for the, "I told you so". :)

gmoney112

Reaction score
not no but HELL NO. Anything above a 3rd is too much. Draft picks are too valuable. Most I would do is a 3rd and a player. Seattle is in a tough spot. They need to avoid the distractions and either extend him,or trade him. Earl gonna get paid no matter what happens.

Safeties can play a long time, especially elite ones. A great FS is harder to find than a good pass rusher.

Our secondary is full of guys on rookie deals, and will be for a while.

ET probably has 2 years at *elite* level and then 2-3 years at *very good*. ET at very good is still better than 90% of the FS in the league.

One 2nd round pick is value for both sides. Dude will probably be an All-Pro for the next 3 years, and we have young talent in the secondary. Take advantage of it, and get a high caliber professional that can give you the 1-2 plays a game you need to beat the Rodgers', and the Wentz', and the Goffs'. You also get to take advantage of Dak's and Zeke's rookie contracts.

I think we've drafted pretty well the last few years, we have a lot of young talent, that's why i'm for it. I think ET will give this team a legitimate shot at Super Bowls over the next 4 years, and the price will be long forgotten. We'd still have our 1st and 3rd anyway.

Cap is fine for a deal. Especially since Irving is as good as gone after his contract unless he takes a friendly deal.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thank you for putting that on the record, my friend. I WILL be referring to it when ET is still a Seahawk when the season starts. So just get ready for the, "I told you so". :)

If he’s still in SEA, that’s the outcome I said was most likely.

The only debate has been whether or no Dallas is a realistic possibility for him, which it is.

So him remaining in SEA won’t make you any more right than I would be, I’m afraid.

gmoney112

Reaction score

The only debate has been whether or no Dallas is a realistic possibility for him, which it is.

So him remaining in SEA won’t make you any more right than I would be, I’m afraid.

It's funny when I see you reply to people i have on ignore. :laugh:

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Agree 100% and those reasons you list are just more examples why I don’t like the guy. Besides he clearly is on the decline and 8.5 is way too much for a me first player like him.

You keep saying this ridiculous nonsense doesn't make it true. Decline or not he is far and away better than any DB on this roster and is in the top 4 safeties in all of football. He made 2nd team all-pro last year. Adding an all pro defender is the right move.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

You want to play both sides but that's not going to happen. You are clearly on the "ET comes to Oxnard TC" side of the debate.