Twitter: Earl out here teasing us

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL, you just keep insisting on feeding that speculation. Good folks that read these pages, don't be gulled into believing this nonsense. ET is playing for Seattle this coming season and no one else, however, 2019 is a different matter.

It’s speculation for a reason. And the reason is that it’s a possibility. Acknowledging that is not “insisting on feeding the speculation.”

What I don’t get is why you keep pretending it’s impossible for anything to happen here prior to the start of training camp for a player who’s holding out and apparently actively lobbying to be here.

KeepinTime

Reaction score
I live in Seattle and everything I’ve read and heard on sports radio (it’s non-stop Hawks talk when the season is on) says Seattle and their GM believe they are re-tooling, not rebuilding. I don’t see Earl ending up here, at least not this year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All of it is accurate. Try again..
He can hold out until game 9 without voiding his contract.

And where does Seattle have to pay him $12 million while he’s doing that?

You try again.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I live in Seattle and everything I’ve read and heard on sports radio (it’s non-stop Hawks talk when the season is on) says Seattle and their GM believe they are re-tooling, not rebuilding. I don’t see Earl ending up here, at least not this year.

That’s sounds even dumber. “Retooling”. Yeah, we know where the “tools” are.

:facepalm:

lostar2009

Reaction score
People forget that when Thomas leaves in free agency, the hawks will get a 3rd rd draft pick (compensatory ).

So whatever a team offers in a trade has to be more than that. Otherwise even he sits and leaves they get a 3rd

A 3rd for the 2019 draft versus a 3rd for the 2020 draft. There is a difference.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A 3rd for the 2019 draft versus a 3rd for the 2020 draft. There is a difference.

To say nothing of the fact that if they make a significant signing of their own, they get nothing in terms of a comp pick.

Or that the compensatory picks come after the entire round of the draft, meaning any third round pick they got even from the Super Bowl Champions, would be a higher one.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually the number is 10,400. Sorry, Quoted that wrong , but the hold out for 8 Games is correct.

So "all of it is not accurate " then?

And the team would be paying him his salary for games he's not playing. So that's also wrong.

Even the 8 games reference is wrong. He can accrue a year of service by playing in just six games if he so chose.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
It’s bs and you know it.
Nope it's based on facts and you know it. He is Seattle's version of Jay Ratliff. Let's bring in a whinny vet who is unhappy with his current contract and sits out. No thanks and no way does that bring a positive veteran presence into the lock room. Not to mention he is on the downside of his career. Save the money and pay DLawrence.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Nope it's based on facts and you know it. He is Seattle's version of Jay Ratliff. Let's bring in a whinny vet who is unhappy with his current contract and sits out. No thanks and no way does that bring a positive veteran presence into the lock room. Not to mention he is on the downside of his career. Save the money and pay DLawrence.

I must've missed something along the way. I've never heard of Thomas acting like a whiny vet or locker room cancer
(as you said earlier). Do you have any examples of this to refresh my memory?

My thinking was that he'd be like a coach on the field if he came here. I've never heard anything negative about him.
Unless, you don't like fierce competitors on the team.

I don't expect it to happen anyway. He'll be in Seattle this year and we get to do this all over again next year.
That's my guess.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
SEA has his rights and he wants an expensive deal at 29. Its most likely he plays out this year and tests free agency.

I’d say the second most likely outcome is a trade to Dallas, though.
Gap between option A and option B seems rather large for me. Though now trading for him post draft is most advantageous for the Cowboys.

Trading for Earl seemed more likely when we had Dez imo.

In any case I would not trade a 3rd for him. I'd just go out and sign him in free agency next summer should Dak and the offense/defense appear championship quality.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gap between option A and option B seems rather large for me. Though now trading for him post draft is most advantageous for the Cowboys.

Trading for Earl seemed more likely when we had Dez imo.

In any case I would not trade a 3rd for him. I'd just go out and sign him in free agency next summer should Dak and the offense/defense appear championship quality.

I'm curious as to why you feel Dez would be connected to trading for Earl Thomas?

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I'm curious as to why you feel Dez would be connected to trading for Earl Thomas?
More a win now mentality had we bit the bullet and kept Dez.

Say what you will about Dez and his contract....but subtracting him did not make us better for this upcoming season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More a win now mentality had we bit the bullet and kept Dez.

Say what you will about Dez and his contract....but subtracting him did not make us better for this upcoming season.

Likely not better, but I'm not sure it made us worse either.

800 yards receiving is not a lot to have to replace.

lostar2009

Reaction score
To say nothing of the fact that if they make a significant signing of their own, they get nothing in terms of a comp pick.

Or that the compensatory picks come after the entire round of the draft, meaning any third round pick they got even from the Super Bowl Champions, would be a higher one.

Yup it''s like you either want it now or later. No one is dishing our high draft picks for players these days, except qbs.