Twitter: Ed Werder reports Norv Turner and Dave Wannstedt as OC and DC possibilities

Doomsay

Reaction score
Dallas buyers club can't think outside of the box that Jimmy built for them two decades ago.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
On what planet would this be a good idea.

How can this staff be coming back? Sounded like Callahan is gone according to broaddus.

So if turner came here he would be the offseason marketing tool to sell Garrett again.

Btw when has turner ever used a zone blocking scheme? Because we have one and ran it well, so now what we hire turner and scrap it?

This whole thing stinks. Just fire everyone and hire a good head coach and let him build a staff.

my mom is in her mid sixties and told me Monday morning I am wasting my time watching this team because its clear the only thing that matters is Jerry jones being a celebrity and making money. funny stuff.

khiladi

Reaction score
Btw when has turner ever used a zone blocking scheme? Because we have one and ran it well, so now what we hire turner and scrap it?

Good point. Plus, that's the irony. The one thing we improved on was in blocking, which was when Callahan was calling the plays. Prior to this year, Tony was sacked 36 times, two years running... Career highs.

With Norv, it's a return to Houck years essentially.

cml750

Reaction score
On what planet would this be a good idea.

How can this staff be coming back? Sounded like Callahan is gone according to broaddus.

So if turner came here he would be the offseason marketing tool to sell Garrett again.

This whole thing stinks. Just fire everyone and hire a good head coach and let him build a staff.

my mom is in her mid sixties and told me Monday morning I am wasting my time watching this team because its clear the only thing that matters is Jerry jones being a celebrity and making money. funny stuff.

Agree, especially with the bold part, and my mother told me almost exactly the same thing. She too is in her mid 60's.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I like Norv.

But isn't his offense outdated?

Anyone notice the huge improvement in Phillip Rivers this year?
Just saying...

Offense isn't outdated.

I had a real hard time blaming our scheme this year when I would watch the All-22 and see Dez was repeatedly getting open and Romo never saw him.

That and there are plenty of teams that use this scheme.

Personally, I wouldn't mind see us going back to more of an 'old fashioned' offensive philosophy. Y'know, not running shotgun on 1st and 2nd down. Not throwing it close to 70% of the time.

YR

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Agree, especially with the bold part, and my mother told me almost exactly the same thing. She too is in her mid 60's.

Looking back firing everyone after the 08 loss to Philly was the right move.

I didn't think so then, I realize it now though. I got duped by Garrett and I hate that I didn't see through it.

When babe said Garrett was a lot like Walsh I fell for it I guess because I think so highly of babe.

Turns out Jason probably is more similar to the tv character Jim Walsh, than hall of famer bill Walsh. Garrett gives good speeches maybe he could have been an actor.

eck.jpg

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Offense isn't outdated.

I had a real hard time blaming our scheme this year when I would watch the All-22 and see Dez was repeatedly getting open and Romo never saw him.

Personally, I wouldn't mind see us going back to more of an 'old fashioned' offensive philosophy. Y'know, not running shotgun on 1st and 2nd down. Not throwing it close to 70% of the time.

YR
I would love that too, but is that even possible in todays NFL because of the rules. A strong running game and defense is what all the great teams had (pre-current NFL rule changes).

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Offense isn't outdated.

YR

The best part of Norv's offense is you cannot tell by the set what's coming, combine that with Norv being one of the best play callers in the biz and I'd like to give it a shot. Although he'd have to modify the passing attack for Romo in a big way.

cml750

Reaction score
Looking back firing everyone after the 08 loss to Philly was the right move.

I didn't think so then, I realize it now though. I got duped by Garrett and I hate that I didn't see through it.

When babe said Garrett was a lot like Walsh I fell for it I guess because I think so highly of babe.

Turns out Jason probably is more similar to the tv character Jim Walsh, than hall of famer bill Walsh. Garrett gives good speeches maybe he could have been an actor.
I think we were just about all duped by Garrett but apparently Jerry is the biggest dupe.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Cowlishaw has a pretty good point: Last year Jerry didn't have to hire anyone new, he just handed the playcalling to someone already on the payroll. Tim thinks Jerry would just hand them back to Garrett, especially since Garrett wants to do it. That way Jerry wouldn't have to pay someone new an extra $2,000,000 or whatever to come in.

He thinks Wannstedt only is more likely.

blackbull

Reaction score
I like Norv.

But isn't his offense outdated?

Anyone notice the huge improvement in Phillip Rivers this year?
Just saying...

Nobody heard you. Season tickets will sellout regardless. Do what you want to do Jerry. It's your world baby!

reddyuta

Reaction score
Perfect,even Jerry has to finally Fire Garrett after hiring the two.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Somebody might need to let Jerry know what year it is. It's like Jerry is stuck in a time warp from the last time we were in 4-3 defense in '03. Back then Kiffin was considered the top 4-3 DC in the league. But that was over 10 years ago. He's now in his early 70's and had been out of the NFL for over 5 years. Plus the league has changed and adjusted over that time.

So now that Kiffin has flopped, Jerry is possibly looking at Wannstedt? Really? This isn't 1992. Again, in '03 when we last ran the 4-3 Wannstedt would still be looked upon highly in the league. But it's now over 20 years since he was running the 4-3 here in Dallas under Jimmy Johnson.

Jerry really need to widen his focus and come back to the present day. Thinking these guys from 10-20 years ago can be plugged into the system now is ridiculous.